JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   2012 Overland 4 Wheeling (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/2012-overland-4-wheeling-1556611/)

Greg012GCO 08-01-2013 01:07 PM

2012 Overland 4 Wheeling

Got a hankering for some high country and took the GC to Ouray. Wanted to report on how the GCO did.

'12, about 70k miles. Never had a problem with QL or anything else.

Took the road over Imogene Pass. Now, this isn't radical wheeling, but it was plenty radical for me. Lot's of shelf rock and water crossings and climbing. Was a little nerve racking for me. But the Jeep did awesome. Put it in Rock mode, 4 Low, suspension all the way up. Had no problems to speak of. I was impressed with the performance. This ain't no soccer mom wagon.

Went from Ouray all the way to Telluride. No problems. Very slow going for any vehicle. Didn't get any pictures - too much bumping around for video. But you can look up Imogene pass on Youtube and check it out.

This has been a great vehicle. Luxury and balls both. Just get rid of the stock tires. I still have the stock wheels, just more aggressive tread.

gabbagabba 08-01-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg012GCO (Post 15744718)
Got a hankering for some high country and took the GC to Ouray. Wanted to report on how the GCO did.

'12, about 70k miles. Never had a problem with QL or anything else.

Took the road over Imogene Pass. Now, this isn't radical wheeling, but it was plenty radical for me. Lot's of shelf rock and water crossings and climbing. Was a little nerve racking for me. But the Jeep did awesome. Put it in Rock mode, 4 Low, suspension all the way up. Had no problems to speak of. I was impressed with the performance. This ain't no soccer mom wagon.

Went from Ouray all the way to Telluride. No problems. Very slow going for any vehicle. Didn't get any pictures - too much bumping around for video. But you can look up Imogene pass on Youtube and check it out.

This has been a great vehicle. Luxury and balls both. Just get rid of the stock tires. I still have the stock wheels, just more aggressive tread.

Did u air down?

Jackal01 08-01-2013 02:11 PM

I did a similar trip last summer. I did part of Engineer Pass north of Animas Forks. Fabulous trip. I have pics in my thread below. Probably going to do more next summer when we go again.

Greg012GCO 08-03-2013 09:11 PM

Checked out your Colorado pics. Cool. How was Engineer Pass? Imogene was pretty hairy for me. No better place in the world to go Jeeping. Checked out the rental place in Ouray. They rent Wranglers and GS's. I'd like to go back before the season is over this year if I can.

Jackal01 08-03-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg012GCO (Post 15753918)
Checked out your Colorado pics. Cool. How was Engineer Pass? Imogene was pretty hairy for me. No better place in the world to go Jeeping. Checked out the rental place in Ouray. They rent Wranglers and GS's. I'd like to go back before the season is over this year if I can.

Engineer Pass was good. It was a good starter trail for the GC since I was not sure how it handled on mountain trails before then. I wanted to do more but we couldn't with the time we didn't have for it. Next year! I have a lot of work for Alice before the trip. Working on a winch, bumper, OBA and couple other toys. I felt unprepared when we went.

KickRocks 08-06-2013 06:24 AM

Any of you do Black Bear Pass? I went through there a few years back before I had the jeep, since then I bought my overland and i'm headed back up there this fall on the way to BCOT Gunnison. Shame you didn't take pics, so awesome though there!!

Jackal01 08-06-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KickRocks
Any of you do Black Bear Pass? I went through there a few years back before I had the jeep, since then I bought my overland and i'm headed back up there this fall on the way to BCOT Gunnison. Shame you didn't take pics, so awesome though there!!

I would love to do Black Bear Pass but I'm not sure if the WK2 can handle it. Any idea if it can or are lockers, higher clearance, etc needed?

Sent from my underground lair.

Trailguide 08-10-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal01 (Post 15761831)

I would love to do Black Bear Pass but I'm not sure if the WK2 can handle it. Any idea if it can or are lockers, higher clearance, etc needed?

I've done Black Bear Pass with my TJ. UP AND DOWN (special ride). It's not a trail that is rough or technical. It's just thode switchbacks and a narrow trail. UTUBE has some good videos. Yes you can do it in a Grand.

Jackal01 08-10-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trailguide (Post 15779510)

I've done Black Bear Pass with my TJ. UP AND DOWN (special ride). It's not a trail that is rough or technical. It's just thode switchbacks and a narrow trail. UTUBE has some good videos. Yes you can do it in a Grand.

I have watched a few vids on YT mainly of Wayalife. It looks fun. I have heard both sides of the argument...must have a super modded 4x4 to make it and other have said a decent 4x4 can make it.

turbospartan 08-13-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal01 (Post 15779666)
I have watched a few vids on YT mainly of Wayalife. It looks fun. I have heard both sides of the argument...must have a super modded 4x4 to make it and other have said a decent 4x4 can make it.

There is a video of a guy doing it in a Subaru, on YouTube.

69moparman 08-14-2013 11:49 AM

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, but you guys sound like you might be able to help me. We're going to be visiting the Mt Rushmore/badlands area and Yellowstone NP in about two weeks. We're looking for some "off-road" roads to (legally) travel with the GC. The places where we won't see any Prius or Sentra's. Of course, AAA has no idea where the roads are, because they don't come up on their Mapquest. My GC is mostly stock, with a leveling kit on the front, no real skid plates other than those plastic shields from the factory. Any ideas ???

Thanks.

Jackal01 08-14-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69moparman (Post 15793786)
Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, but you guys sound like you might be able to help me. We're going to be visiting the Mt Rushmore/badlands area and Yellowstone NP in about two weeks. We're looking for some "off-road" roads to (legally) travel with the GC. The places where we won't see any Prius or Sentra's. Of course, AAA has no idea where the roads are, because they don't come up on their Mapquest. My GC is mostly stock, with a leveling kit on the front, no real skid plates other than those plastic shields from the factory. Any ideas ???

Thanks.

I don't mean to come off with a cliche remark but I have always just searched the internet for roads to have fun on (google maps specifically and always legal. I condemn the use of illegal roads and illegal wheeling). I am not the least bit familiar with that area so I cannot help personally but usually in the tourist areas there is sometimes mentioning of said roads online or something else. Hopefully someone here can help but doing driving on some mildly muddy or forest roads should do you just fine with what you have. Tires DO make all the difference so make sure you have a good set.

69moparman 08-15-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal01 (Post 15794537)
I don't mean to come off with a cliche remark but I have always just searched the internet for roads to have fun on (google maps specifically and always legal. I condemn the use of illegal roads and illegal wheeling). I am not the least bit familiar with that area so I cannot help personally but usually in the tourist areas there is sometimes mentioning of said roads online or something else. Hopefully someone here can help but doing driving on some mildly muddy or forest roads should do you just fine with what you have. Tires DO make all the difference so make sure you have a good set.

Ya, I went the Google route. All that info shows is there's a road there. No mention about the condition, its rating, or if the road actually goes somewhere, has vistas for viewing America, or dead-ends in a lake, etc. (and I'm not into banjo music).
I did find a few 4x4 club websites with some pretty good information. I'll keep searching. If I don't find any real info, I'll just drive the Challenger instead, and get better fuel economy as a bonus.

FranksWK 08-15-2013 07:57 AM

^isnt that the whole point of "4 wheeling".... Not knowing what the road will be ahead???

turbospartan 08-15-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69moparman (Post 15796527)
Ya, I went the Google route. All that info shows is there's a road there. No mention about the condition, its rating, or if the road actually goes somewhere, has vistas for viewing America, or dead-ends in a lake, etc. (and I'm not into banjo music).
I did find a few 4x4 club websites with some pretty good information. I'll keep searching. If I don't find any real info, I'll just drive the Challenger instead, and get better fuel economy as a bonus.

http://www.allblackhills.com/summer_...tv_offroad.php

http://www.bh4wheelers.com/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/va...dvise-1219685/

The time now is 05:49 PM.