2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Uconnect Issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Uconnect Issue

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
xsdbs

This is because in 2010, Uconnect supported SMS texting thru an "AT" command. This was kind of like using dial up on your computer. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. The other problem was (and is) that there were very few phones that supported texting thru "AT" commands. Most of the phone companies started investing into the newer BT profile MAP for texting. Currently there are a handful of phones that support the feature and more that are coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedboxer View Post
Mine won't work on an Android device or Blackberry

xsdbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
xsdbs

Actually the Motorola's are having a problem with their MAP profile support. You can receive messages and Uconnect will notify you of the new messages as well as read the message, but you can't send a message. Uconnect is telling the phone to send the message but the phone does not respond.
Blackberries, Nokia's, the Samsung Focus S. and the HTC Sensation work fine with the Uconnect SMS texting on the 2012 V2 vehicles. (This is when Uconnect started to support MAP, Vehicles that were built after 1-1-2012, those built prior to that date will need to get the Uconnect SW update performed. This update is TSB 08-018-12, which was released about 2 weeks ago)

NOTE: After the HFM has been updated it will receive these enhancements.
· Reduced “Device Reading” wait time after connecting a device to the remote USB
port.
· Call / Dial separation improves upon names being recognized as phone numbers.
· Improved sound quality during Bluetooth streaming.
· Increased iPod and iPhone compatibility.
· SMS messaging support via MAP protocol (not all phones support the MAP
protocol).
· Added “None of These” and “Correction” to the phone book prompt menu for better
handling of similar names.
· Previous button will return the song currently being played to the beginning of the
track.
· AirPlay feature “Dock Connector” no longer needs to be manually selected on Apple
devices. This will resolve the “No Audio” condition when the device is connected to
the remote USB port and dock connector is not selected.
NOTE: USB mode resume will no longer 'resume' after ignition OFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
'Fraid the iPhone connects fine in all depts other than SMS. There is NO, repeat NO SMS capability for the iPhone in our WK2s, only other handset such as motorola
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
xsdbs

Hmm, hadn't thought about using that on my iPhone, I'll have to check it out next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las1138 View Post
I've got an iphone 4 and I tried using the Dragon Dictation app as seen in the video from the OP and also the google search app using the voice command and my bluetooth is not recognizing it. Any ideas?
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
xsdbs

What radio & phones do you have? Can you describe the issues please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
This is a big bummer If I cant get mine or my wifes phones to work in a WK2....
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
xsdbs

Blackberries (yes)
Droids (not completely, you can rec messages, UC can read them to you but the Motorola's are having issues sending an outgoing message)
Nokia's, Samsung Focus S and the HTC Sensation all work with the 2012 V@ SW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersplash View Post
In order for SMS to work the phone needs to support the message access profile (MAP) in its Bluetooth stack. Blackberrys and most Verizon droids are the only phones that support it.
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
xsdbs

Umm, yes, but only on the 2011 & earlier vehicles. SIRI is not currently Supported on the 2012 vehicles. Apple created SIRI riding piggy back somehow using a 2011 GC. The feature that the were riding out was deleted and they did not validate that it work with 2012 vehicles before releasing the 4S in October last year.
Also not to mention that SIRI will totally piss you off trying to get her to actually get a sentence correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
You can still use Siri to send a text while driving.
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #22
xsdbs

If Apple does not SUPPORT the feature then it isn't Chrysler's fault. Perhaps your statement should be "If one of the Major Vehicle MFG is going to Support Apple products then Apple should build their devices to support the features".

Quote:
Originally Posted by superserialMBP View Post
I don't really mind not being able to text from my car, but you'd think that if an automaker put a feature like that in to their stereo unit, they would make it compatible with the most popular phone model in the country (iPhone)
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #23
xsdbs

CORRECT, if the feature works with several other phones and don't with a few, then where is the actual problem. BT specs are not strict and people like to throw in their little twist. If you build to spec, and others don't then yes there will be problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersplash View Post
Concerning the texting, uConnect is compatible. It's the cell phones that aren't.
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #24
aga080
2002 WJ 

well... this sucks

will a future update be able to fix this?
aga080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
xsdbs

If there was it would have to come from Apple. As far as I know they don't have any plans at all on supporting MAP for texting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga080 View Post
well... this sucks

will a future update be able to fix this?
Unread 06-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
aga080
2002 WJ 

hi guys, sorry to bump an old thread...better than making a new one i guess

is there any kind of update to this Uconnect - Iphone interface?
aga080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #27
bmzx

I just bought a 2012 Laredo. before buying it I was telling the sales rep i wanted a vehicle with blutooth setup for my iPhone. He told me all the features of Uconnect. we were talking about me having an iPhone, he had a blackberry, blah, blah blah. After i got home with my new jeep i found out that the iPhone was not completely compatable with the iPhone. Do you think the sales person should have told me that. after calling them about it all i got was, sorry we didnt know. it was the reason I told them I was buying that vehicle.

so, I can use the hands free calling but texting does not work ans SIRI does not work. when connected to blutooth all voice functions on the phone are disabled. so I cant even use the talking function on texting or SISI which I use more while driving that actually making a phone call. So I deleted my phone from the Jeeps blutooth. so now I have a Jeep that i bought to use BT and cant use it. I'd return the Jeep but they said they wont take back a "used" vehicle.

Has anyone come up with a fix for it? I saw the dragon app but dosent see to safe to use while driving.

thanks
bmzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
Brady12

You bought the jeep to use your iPhone?
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
bmzx

no, i wanted a vehicle that i could use my phone with. I whould have got something else if I knew the phone did not work with it.
bmzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #30
txwest
2012 WK 

Your phone works with the truck. "Advanced" features are exactly that...advanced. Bluetooth is primarily meant for calls. Everything else is extra. If my phone didn't work with it, oh well. I bought it to be a jeep, not a phone accessory. Do a little homework next time.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.