2012 Grand Cherokee Tran problems - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Grand Cherokee Tran problems

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 12-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #46
rogercommish

2012 GC Limited 5.7 with 6 speed

This is my 6th and LAST Jeep. The transmission "fish bite" as Chrysler calls it is unbelieveable. I understand that this problem with the tranny has been present since the 2011 V-8's were offered. They say they are working on a fix for the problem. For two years??? Give me a break. The tourque converter does not lock up in 6th gear thus the missing sensation. Chrysler says to use Plus fuel to take care of the problem. Who are they trying to kid. The problem is with the transmission; not the engine. However, I did add 100 octane low lead to my tank(what I use in my Cessna) and saw no difference whatsoever. This 2012 Jeep now has 5600 jerk, jerk miles on it and no fix is in sight.
I can't help but wonder if a CLASS ACTION SUIT would get Chrysler's attention. There have to be a ton of us out here that have not received any satisfaction. Any thoughts??????????

rogercommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #47
Desert_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Having the same fishbite problem in my 2013 GC hemi. Noticed it within it's first 100 miles. My colleague who owns a 2011 has the same issue and thinks its normal. I couldn't live with that answer and the problem reoccurring and after a search found this topic. It is just unacceptable to have this happening in a brand new jeep. Its my first new vehicle bought after years of saving up. If Chrysler takes half of what they spend on marketing and puts it in better engineering they may produce machines surpassing the quality of zee Germans and deal with much less patching of mess ups like these.
Desert_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #48
brn2skifst
2012 WK 

Jeep Cares, If you are out there, any news on the supposed Feb TSB release for the Fishbite problem?
brn2skifst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #49
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercommish View Post
This is my 6th and LAST Jeep. The transmission "fish bite" as Chrysler calls it is unbelieveable. I understand that this problem with the tranny has been present since the 2011 V-8's were offered. They say they are working on a fix for the problem. For two years??? Give me a break. The tourque converter does not lock up in 6th gear thus the missing sensation. Chrysler says to use Plus fuel to take care of the problem. Who are they trying to kid. The problem is with the transmission; not the engine. However, I did add 100 octane low lead to my tank(what I use in my Cessna) and saw no difference whatsoever. This 2012 Jeep now has 5600 jerk, jerk miles on it and no fix is in sight.
I can't help but wonder if a CLASS ACTION SUIT would get Chrysler's attention. There have to be a ton of us out here that have not received any satisfaction. Any thoughts??????????
My uncle was involved in a class action suit against Chrysler for the trans problems in his '98 Ram. He got nothing. You would have better luck striking out on your own for lemon law. Any time "class action" is involved, the company throws their best lawyers at it, and what little gets made (if any) is mostly taken by the lawyer for the suit.

While his Ram was under warranty, it was in the shop more than on the road. It once sat for a month because "the diagnostic computer we need is at another dealer, we have to wait for them to finish using it". It was usually in for the transmission not shifting properly. Even though the symptom was the same, they told him it was for a different reason and therefore didn't qualify. They even claimed that they changed the transmission once...same problem.

After it was out of warranty, he took it to an independant shop to rebuild it. They said it looked like it was the original trans, and that it was improperly assembled from the factory. He still has the truck, and the trans has been fine since.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #50
ButchLathan

Fish biting transmission

I have this problem in my 2012 Grand Cherokee Ltd hemi. The district manager for western North Carolina promised my last October that a software fix would be available in Feb. 2013. "Orlando," who described himself as my sole contact with Jeep customer service since I'd threatened to sue, called on Dec. 12 to announce a fix would be installed in February. A service writer at the dealer called in January and said the same. I took the car in on March 7. No fix was available. I called Orlando, "my sole contact," that day and he has not returned that or subsequent calls.

What to do? Is a Lemon Law action worthwhile? What are the risks?
ButchLathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #51
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

why doesnt Jeep just issue an extended wannranty for engine and tranny for those with the issue? this would be a simple and cheap solution. this is what honda did with the early 2000's odyseys with tranny issues, wanrranted them all to 100K. jeep should do powertrain 10/100K for these customers

I realize the issue is in itself annoying but I could live with it if I knew I had extra warranty

gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #52
rsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba
why doesnt Jeep just issue an extended wannranty for engine and tranny for those with the issue? this would be a simple and cheap solution. this is what honda did with the early 2000's odyseys with tranny issues, wanrranted them all to 100K. jeep should do powertrain 10/100K for these customers

I realize the issue is in itself annoying but I could live with it if I knew I had extra warranty

If you have a case opened up with jeep, escalate to a case manager. They will give you an extended warranty if you push hard enough. They offered me one but had already purchased the lifetime max care. They reimbursed me for it.
rsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #53
ButchLathan

They gave me a 100,000 mile warranty. But, as my lawyer says, if they can't or won't fix it under the regular warranty, why do you think they will fix it under the extended warranty?
ButchLathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #54
ljvb

My wifes car started doing this on her commute this morning.. well hard shifts in first and second (she is the one who forwarded this link to me.. even though I am a member). So far, everything I have read on this thread (and will poke around other threads shortly.. been absent a while) is that this appears to be a problem on the V8 models, however my wife has the V6 (2012 my). Is this an across the model range issue, or specific to 1 or 2 transmissions...
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #55
Stratcat70
2014 WK 

This really bums me out reading this thread. It really surprises me. When I worked at Jeep, any problem or potential problem was a HUGE escalation, ESPECIALLY if it was warrantee or recall related. Constant updates to management, immediate investigatrion, root cause analysis, etc. With Jeep being such a high profile money maker, I can't believe that they are ignoring it internally, even though it looks like it on the outside. Hmmm...
Stratcat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #56
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn2skifst View Post
Jeep Cares, If you are out there, any news on the supposed Feb TSB release for the Fishbite problem?
I'd love to be able to tell you April, but I have no confirmation. I think I'll believe it when I see it actually published. Anything I say at this point is subject to change, anyway.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #57
brn2skifst
2012 WK 

Is this going to be an all inclusive to fix the Fishbite, the clunk AND the 4WD fault when sand driving?
brn2skifst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #58
huntingman27062

2012 WK2 Overland 4x2 hemi 6 speed... mine stuck in 4th... im in Afghan... prego wife was on the road for vacation... got it home took to jeep... did a TCM flash "recall" kinda thing... just did it again... taking it in... if it does it while im home next month then ill be going for the lemon law... bought it new so i could be gone and the wife could drive a reliable vehicle... if thats not the case then it can be on their dime... not mine...
huntingman27062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #59
ColdCase

2011 WK 

Stuck in 4th is probably limp in mode. The trans detects a fault and switches to limp mode to prevent damage while allowing you to move. The dealer should be able to retrieve the fault. If not a usual suspect, they try a reflash/reset. Happens again then either a new transmission or part replacement.

Sounds like a manufacturing issue with the transmission, it happens, a competent dealer should be able to fix it.
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #60
huntingman27062

It is a default setting yes... they got the fault last time and there is a TSB for the common issue. The TSB is to flash the TCM with new software which they did the first time. Looks like im stuck with it either way. GA's lemon law cuts out at 24,000 miles and im over 30k now so ill just have to keep taking it back over and over and over again!
huntingman27062 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.