2012 Grand Cherokee Tran problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Grand Cherokee Tran problems

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
BoomerTG
2012 WK 

Ditto for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiket View Post
I also have the 2012 Grand Cherokee with 5.7 hemi -

My transmission is constantly shuttering and slipping, dealer even acknowledged it. This is normal according to Jeep - I'm so upset I wasted money on it and there is no recourse. There quality is terrible - no one should waste money like this...
I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland and I'm experiencing the same stuttering problem on inclines or when maintaining a speed over 60 mph. The dealer also acknowledged it, said to switch to 89 octane and that should fix it. (Which it didn't). I was told that there is a software fix in the works but not to expect it until December. The customer service line was polite, but not helpful. They said to keep reporting it every time I bring my car in to the dealer for service and that way it's logged. Not happy right now.

BoomerTG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
vectorw8015

Same retarded suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerTG View Post
I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland and I'm experiencing the same stuttering problem on inclines or when maintaining a speed over 60 mph. The dealer also acknowledged it, said to switch to 89 octane and that should fix it. (Which it didn't). I was told that there is a software fix in the works but not to expect it until December. The customer service line was polite, but not helpful. They said to keep reporting it every time I bring my car in to the dealer for service and that way it's logged. Not happy right now.
We too were told to run 89 octane through ours. Instead to prove a point we ran 3 tanks of 92 octane through it and it did absolutely nothing to prevent the shudder problem. A wild goose chase we were sent on by Chrysler.
vectorw8015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
hububub

The Lemon law will favor the manufacturer unfortunately. You will have to pay some rediculous amount per mile, I think it varies state to state but it can be as high as 50 cents a mile. You are NOT entitled to a NEW vehicle, you are NOT entitled to loss of use, you are not entitled to get 100% of your money back. This is a law that politicians put in place to may YOU think they are working for YOU... Trust me...try it and see it will cost you around 10,000.00 one way or the other. Better to take a bath and trade it in on something else and keep your mouth shut about the "issue"....
hububub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #19
vectorw8015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hububub View Post
The Lemon law will favor the manufacturer unfortunately. You will have to pay some rediculous amount per mile, I think it varies state to state but it can be as high as 50 cents a mile. You are NOT entitled to a NEW vehicle, you are NOT entitled to loss of use, you are not entitled to get 100% of your money back. This is a law that politicians put in place to may YOU think they are working for YOU... Trust me...try it and see it will cost you around 10,000.00 one way or the other. Better to take a bath and trade it in on something else and keep your mouth shut about the "issue"....
I have had 3 vehicles bought back under lemon law. I have never had any issues like the ones you mention above. I have always been compensated financially and made whole. So I am not sure why you would make the statements you did. But I have no problems working through lemon law. I know the law well and know what I am entitled to.
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
BManz
2011 WK 

The transmission used on the Hemi models, 545RFE/645RFE (same guts) has a good reliability history. I bet it's something to do with the new transfer case (fluid level or contamination?) and it's being overlooked.
BManz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #21
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

The shutter / slip issue you guys discuss is acknowledged by Chrysler. They're releasing a software update to remedy this issue "before the end of the year". Mine's been doing it a long time without any mechanical issues (actual reliability/drivability problems). It has 52k on it now - been shuttering since around 17k. Search the forums - there are a lot of threads on this.

p.s. the shutter issue is with the hemi.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #22
hububub

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorw8015 View Post
I have had 3 vehicles bought back under lemon law. I have never had any issues like the ones you mention above. I have always been compensated financially and made whole. So I am not sure why you would make the statements you did. But I have no problems working through lemon law. I know the law well and know what I am entitled to.
No offense intended, but it will be taken I am sure... but the lemon law varies from state to state.. If you have had 3 buy backs already and this is the 4th, you either have a target on your back, sucker light flashing over your head or had a kick me post it stuck to your back! Sorry but I have been in the auto industry for 30 years and have only seen it done ONCE...and the owner took a BATH!... Either that or you are an incredible pain in the A$$ and the dealer would rather pay you to get out of his face than fight with you...LOL Either way if it works for you ... GO for it..but if it goes to arbitration your past history will be brought up and could work against you, as it can be construed as buyer remorse.
hububub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
vectorw8015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hububub View Post
No offense intended, but it will be taken I am sure... but the lemon law varies from state to state.. If you have had 3 buy backs already and this is the 4th, you either have a target on your back, sucker light flashing over your head or had a kick me post it stuck to your back! Sorry but I have been in the auto industry for 30 years and have only seen it done ONCE...and the owner took a BATH!... Either that or you are an incredible pain in the A$$ and the dealer would rather pay you to get out of his face than fight with you...LOL Either way if it works for you ... GO for it..but if it goes to arbitration your past history will be brought up and could work against you, as it can be construed as buyer remorse.
I am an ASE Certified Master Mechanic, and an Engineering Manager in the auto industry in Detroit (28 years). I also do Forensics Engineering. Causal analysis. I dont have any buyers remorse I love the Jeep. It is just another poorly built Chrysler product. I have owned over 23 Chryslers over the years. There is a reason for that (I wont say why) So I have nothing against the brand. Unfortunately I am a customer that knows what a vehicle is doing and what it should be doing. I just had the Chrysler rep in the vehicle and he acknowledges the problem. He also started to give me the analogy of self diagnosis using himself and a doctor visit as reference. As soon as I pulled out my resume it pretty well shut him down on the "you dont know what your talking about" situation. The conversation changed. We are now waiting for a call back. If I dont hear anything this week I will call him on Monday. Also under lemon law the dealer has nothing financially to do with the vehicle. Chrysler corporate will be the sole party responsible for making me whole.
Unread 07-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
vectorw8015

Call Back from Dave at Chrysler today

So I get a call back from Dave today at Chrysler. (First time I have conversed with Dave, not sure who he is and why I did not get a call back from one of the 6 other people working on the case that I have already conversed with).

Dave states that he has spoken with Jim who came up and test drove the vehicle. Jim has completed his report and concludes that we have a problem with the transmission in the Jeep and that they are not going to do anything about it. They will continue to warrant the vehicle "as is". (As opposed to what?)

They acknowledge that it neutrals out but dont feel that this is unsafe. As it eventually gets power back to the wheels.

So lemon law it is. Moving on.
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #25
BoomerTG
2012 WK 

I took my Grand Cherokee in for routine maintenance last friday and told them that I continue to have the stutter problem. I was pleasantly surprised when I got a call from the service writer telling me that the awaited softwware update for the problem has been released by Chrysler and that they will be installing it. Since then, the stutter issue seems to have been resolved. If you are having the same problem, you may want to check with your dealer about the update.
BoomerTG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #26
vectorw8015

Are you sure your dealer didnt reset the shift points? My dealer is quite involved at this point and they talk with Chrysler daily regarding the issue. I have spoken with several Drive line Engineers at Chrysler and they state that they do not have resolution for the studder issue. They are requesting that the dealer reset the shift points. Let me know if it reappears in a couple of weeks once the trans adapts to your driving style.
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
mocad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorw8015 View Post
Are you sure your dealer didnt reset the shift points? My dealer is quite involved at this point and they talk with Chrysler daily regarding the issue. I have spoken with several Drive line Engineers at Chrysler and they state that they do not have resolution for the studder issue. They are requesting that the dealer reset the shift points. Let me know if it reappears in a couple of weeks once the trans adapts to your driving style.
We have the stuttering transmission problem on our 2012 JGC Overland w/ Hemi. It seems 'computer' related to me as well. Haven't gone to dealer (figured it would be too difficult to explain and find a hill to reproduce it properly).

Looking forward to hearing when the software update is released - please let us know.
mocad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #28
jvandy50
2010 JK Wrangler 

my wife has a WK2 so i have been reading up on it after she said it "shifted funny" today. this stutter you guys speak of, can you explain it to me?

is it like having a manual tranny in high gear while going 30mph type of hoppy/jerky feeling? sorry that's the best analogy i could think of lol

i love this WK2, i even borrow it sometimes as opposed to taking my JK, but i knew a few people that weren't thrilled with the tranny shifts and we went ahead and bought one anyway. hope it don't bite me in the arse
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
l8tapex
2012 WK 

vectorw8015
Best of luck.

Since you are a knowledgeable MM what do you think of eventually reworking the valve body, like redoing the springs/valves? I appreciate that it is a Mercedes trans with new gear selection additions.
Also, any opinion on a harder locking TC? I usually like to improve the shift verses slip in past performance vehicles of mine and usually applied the afore mentioned combo.
(Of course this would be after warranty)
Thanks
l8tapex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #30
alan3891
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

I did OK for the first 9k miles on my 2012 Grand Cherokee 5.7. The shifting was sloppy and a lot of hesitation around some shifts, but I could live with it. Took it in for it's second oil change and then had several hard shifts in the next 24 hours. 5 days later, on the way to work, it stops shifting and I end up limping to the dealer. Someone on one of these threads was talking about software upgrades..... I think I got the upgrade when I had it in the dealership.

This is my first Jeep and I'm just amazed - I never had any of my previous cars in for failure under warranty. When I took my G35 in and it was going to be an extended stay - a couple of hours - they always gave me a loaner. Here we have a catastophic failure, and Jeep has the car and there are no loaners. I called them yesterday to see what they found and was told they haven't looked at it yet. Maybe today (Saturday) or maybe Monday. I don't know which is worse - the transmission problems, the fact that others are in the same space, the lack of response about it or the lack of support at the dealership. I may be putting this up for sale and heading back to Nissan. The only question is how much I would lose...
alan3891 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.