2012 Grand Cherokee Overland or VW Touareg Highline TDI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland or VW Touareg Highline TDI

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 06-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
dsfx

2012 Grand Cherokee Overland or VW Touareg Highline TDI

Hey everybody,

I'm now to the forums and i'm looking at replacing an old Buick in a few months. I've got my choice narrowed down to the JGC overland and the VW Touareg highline TDI.

I've taken the JGC overland V6 for a test drive and found it quite coumfy and plush inside... i was impressed, i must admit i didn't have high expectations considering Chryslers reputation. The one thing that did bother me was the 5 speed auto in it. While it wasn't a bother and it found it's gears when it should have it just didn't feel fluid.

The VW i found was more refined than the jeep. Don't get me wrong the jeep is amazing inside i really do like it but the VW just has a little extra. I didn't get to test a TDI model but i've heard they are even better the the V6. The 8 speed auto in the VW was silky smooth and a real treat. The only thing that gets me about the VW is the price. I'd be paying almost $6000 more and i'd be getting less. No air suspension, no cooled seats, no heated steering wheel.

I guess i'm asking if anybody else was in my situation at one time and why you chose the jeep?

Also i've got a very low garage. When the air suspension is in park mode how low does the jeep go and can you move at slow speeds(10km/h) and remain in park mode?

thanks.

Last edited by dsfx; 06-03-2011 at 08:04 AM..
dsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
fleuger99
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsfx View Post
Hey everybody,

I'm now to the forums and i'm looking at replacing an old Buick in a few months. I've got my choice narrowed down to the JGC overland and the VW Touareg highline TDI.

I've taken the JGC overland V6 for a test drive and found it quite coumfy and plush inside... i was impressed, i must admit i didn't have high expectations considering Chryslers reputation. The one thing that did bother me was the 5 speed auto in it. While it wasn't a bother and it found it's gears when it should have it just didn't feel fluid.

The VW i found was more refined than the jeep. Don't get me wrong the jeep is amazing inside i really do like it but the VW just has a little extra. I didn't get to test a TDI model but i've heard they are even better the the V6. The 8 speed auto in the VW was silky smooth and a real treat. The only thing that gets me about the VW is the price. I'd be paying almost $6000 more and i'd be getting less. No air suspension, no cooled seats, no heated steering wheel.

I guess i'm asking if anybody else was in my situation at one time and why you chose the jeep?

Also i've got a very low gerage. When the air suspension is in park mode how low does the jeep go and can you move at slow speeds(10km/h) and remain in park mode?

thanks.
I'm a huge VW fan and owned several since I started driving MANY years ago. I bought a JGC Overland in Feb and absolutely love it, although I purchased a V8 model. The only suggestion I have is to avoid the Overland due to the air suspension as I (and many others) have been plagued by ongoing issues and Chrysler has no clue how to fix them. My GC has been back at my dealer 5 times with air suspension issues. Do yourself a favour and skip the Overland and get a loaded Limited.

Your comment regarding paying $6K more for the VW was exactly why I purchased my JGC. It has all the features, drives really well and has ample space for my needs and it was $6L - $7K less than the VW. Good luck with your choice.
Unread 06-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
dsfx

Thanks,

I've been following your air suspension thread carefuly and hope that the software update you recieved fixes your problems once and for all. The reason i want it is my garage door is only about 6ft tall give or take a bit and i don't think the jeep will fit in it without the suspension in park mode.

When i do buy it'll be a 2012 model so i'm hoping it's all worked out by then.

Last edited by dsfx; 06-03-2011 at 08:06 AM..
Unread 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
verdugan
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I've taken the JGC overland V6 for a test drive and found it quite coumfy and plush inside... The one thing that did bother me was the 5 speed auto in it. While it wasn't a bother and it found it's gears when it should have it just didn't feel fluid.
Hello. the 2012's with the V8's will have a 6 speed instead of the current 5 speed. If you can afford to wait a few months, it might be a good choice.

If you want to wait a year, the 2013's are rumored to have an 8 speed auto.

Like fleuger99 I'm also a big VW fan, however, I'm disappointed that VW decided to make the Touareg less off road capable. For me, the JGC wins due to that. And it's $6k cheaper as you said.

Also, not sure how important to you cargo space and 2nd row seat are, but the JGC (IIRC) wins on both counts.

One thing that the Touareg has that the WK2 doesn't is the directional lights. I wish it did!
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
ColdCase

2011 WK 

If you want more of a car, then the VW may be better for you as it compromised severe weather and rugged trail capability for on road manners. The GC is a very good vehicle, much more refined and capable than the VW for trail riding and I think you get more function for the money.

In my opinion the 8 speeds are always hunting for the right gear, shifting all the time which annoys the crap out of me. Give me a manual transmission any day, or give an economical high torque motor with fewer speeds over a small high revving motor with dozens of speeds, but that just may be me .

There are a few that have had quadra lift problems, but there are thousands of quadra lift CGs out there that have never been back to the dealer since being driven off the lot.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
hobbie1
2011 WK 

I have a 4X4 Overland with Hemi - works perfect no issues except for the software for the 430 Nav setup. Have had zero problems with the quarda-lift. You can set it in park mode and drive for several feet at speeds below - I think 15MPH. I set mine in the drive way and then pull in and it stays low.....
2013 Ford Mustang GT and 1966 Ford Mustang 289 5-SPD 289
hobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
dsfx

yeah i'm looking at a V6 because gas in Canada is sitting at $1.30 a liter which converts to a bit over $5 a gallon when you factor in the exchange rate. It just came down from $1.48L so i don't want to spend over $130 a tank. I'm going to sit back and wait for the 2012's hopefuly they will offer the 6 speed in all models.

I'm not a real off roader but i'm planning a trip through labrador next summer and it's going to be pritty hard core back country camping with some offroading i'm sure since most of the roads up there are unmaintained and wash out seasonaly. The offroad capabilities of the JGC are enticing but i live by Toronto and there are NO trails within 3 hours of here so i won't really get to take it off road that often. :-(
Unread 06-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
hobbie1
2011 WK 

FYI the Hemi V-8 auto is actually a dual stage 5 speed - it acts like a 6 speed - 1 thru 5 and then "drive" This is a different tranny then the V6. It has been arouund for a long time and is very reliable.
2013 Ford Mustang GT and 1966 Ford Mustang 289 5-SPD 289
hobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
ordually
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbie1 View Post
FYI the Hemi V-8 auto is actually a dual stage 5 speed - it acts like a 6 speed - 1 thru 5 and then "drive" This is a different tranny then the V6. It has been arouund for a long time and is very reliable.
The Hemi transmission (545RFE) is indeed different than that of the 3.6L (WA580), and while it does have 6 gears it's not a true 6 speed since it doesn't use them sequentially on upshift. The 2nd gear has 2 ratios: 1.67 on upshift and 1.50 on downshift. See this page on Allpar for all the details.

The 545RFE has a good reliability reputation. Most of the knocks on it go against the ratios, where it's really more of a 3 speed + overdrive. It's the main reason for the big 0-60 gaps between the GC Hemi and the LR4, for instance.
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
verdugan
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm going to sit back and wait for the 2012's hopefuly they will offer the 6 speed in all models.
Sorry, but everythign I'ver read (allpar.com, wkjeeps, and wk2jeeps) say that the new 6 speed is only for the 2012 V8's.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
77rednecktruck

Quote:
yeah i'm looking at a V6 because gas in Canada is sitting at $1.30 a liter which converts to a bit over $5 a gallon when you factor in the exchange rate. It just came down from $1.48L so i don't want to spend over $130 a tank. I'm going to sit back and wait for the 2012's hopefuly they will offer the 6 speed in all models.

I'm not a real off roader but i'm planning a trip through labrador next summer and it's going to be pritty hard core back country camping with some offroading i'm sure since most of the roads up there are unmaintained and wash out seasonaly. The offroad capabilities of the JGC are enticing but i live by Toronto and there are NO trails within 3 hours of here so i won't really get to take it off road that often. :-(
you will only gain a couple of MPG with the 6 over the 8 and the fun factor with the Hemi is worth more than that.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
you will only gain a couple of MPG with the 6 over the 8 and the fun factor with the Hemi is worth more than that.
This right here. The V6 is noticeably slower and sounds very course compared to the 5.7. There was only a 1-2 MPG difference between the V8 and the V6 when I test drove them.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
dsfx

don't get me wrong a HEMI would be nice but the hippies in my city would hunt me down.

I honestly haven't really even looked at the HEMI compared to the V6. I just went right for the V6. Even though i've got nothing to tow right now it'd still be nice to have the option i guess.

So many decisions to make..
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Quote:
don't get me wrong a HEMI would be nice but the hippies in my city would hunt me down.

I honestly haven't really even looked at the HEMI compared to the V6. I just went right for the V6. Even though i've got nothing to tow right now it'd still be nice to have the option i guess.

The hippies wouldn't know that it's the 5.7L unless they know that the V8 = dual exhaust and the V6 = single exhaust..

except whoever changes the oil
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
fleuger99
2011 WK 

Quote:

I had also planned to buy a V6 and drove it first. Only on my second visit to my dealer did they offer me a great deal on a new V8 they had on the lot that I test drove it. Once I did I realized what I'd be missing with a V6 and ended up buying the V8. Highway there is not a large MPG difference but one feels it more in stop and go driving which you'd be doing if you're in Toronto. Your signature says Guelph though which is more suburban/rural than Toronto. I lived in Richmond Hill (North of T.O.) for 8 years back in the late 80's and went to York U.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.