2012 Grand Cherokee Left Me Stranded AGAIN - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Grand Cherokee Left Me Stranded AGAIN

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 06-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
TylerDurdenPHI

2012 Grand Cherokee Left Me Stranded AGAIN

I purchased my Jeep new and since have been stranded at least 8 times. This time I had to have it towed to my house where it will now sit. Since the vehicle will randomly do this and then work fine, my dealer says they cannot diagnose it unless I have it at the shop while the issue is happening.

Has anyone gone through this? What options do I have? I am ready to trade the unreliable vehicle in. It is a shame because as a new owner I enjoyed the Jeep but can not deal with the unreliability any longer.

TylerDurdenPHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurdenPHI View Post
I purchased my Jeep new and since have been stranded at least 8 times. This time I had to have it towed to my house where it will now sit. Since the vehicle will randomly do this and then work fine, my dealer says they cannot diagnose it unless I have it at the shop while the issue is happening.

Has anyone gone through this? What options do I have? I am ready to trade the unreliable vehicle in. It is a shame because as a new owner I enjoyed the Jeep but can not deal with the unreliability any longer.
In most places you get a 30 day return policy. Also this could be considered creepy but... You can buy use used car info package from the government. This will give you the previous owners info.
Use tact contact them to see if the is something in the history of the truck.
Good luck.
LibGrandCher is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

What do you mean by stranded, no start. Some folks seem to be having issues with the TIPM. Once replaced, Jeep was problem free. Perhaps try a search on TIPM and find what others have been through.
Unread 06-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
DRKRED12

I think he said he purchased it new. I agree with ColdCase. You can do a search and see if it describes your symptons and you can always contact Jeep/Chrysler. Good luck.
DRKRED12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:

Nope, not one issue yet here, drives like it is bran new still. And we use it, to tow light duty, DD and mild some off raodin'. Sorry for your bad luck with Jeep.
Unread 06-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
chickdr
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibGrandCher View Post
In most places you get a 30 day return policy. Also this could be considered creepy but... You can buy use used car info package from the government. This will give you the previous owners info.
Use tact contact them to see if the is something in the history of the truck.
Good luck.
Did you even read the OP? This was a newly purchased Jeep GC. 30 days was a long time ago and NO in most places a sale is a sale as soon as you sign the papers and take delivery. There are only a few states that have a return policy on cars.

OP- I understand your dilemma. Before the '14 GC we leased a new '07 Audi Q7 that had all kinds of issues. It has a dead battery in the garage within 7 days of purchase. If the issues can't be diagnosed I would dump the car. You will never trust it. A dealer trade in may be easiest so you don't have to deal with a private party sale as that may come back to you. Our '14 had a transmission failure within 200 miles but the replacement car has been good so far(6K miles)
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post

Did you even read the OP? This was a newly purchased Jeep GC. 30 days was a long time ago and NO in most places a sale is a sale as soon as you sign the papers and take delivery. There are only a few states that have a return policy on cars.

OP- I understand your dilemma. Before the '14 GC we leased a new '07 Audi Q7 that had all kinds of issues. It has a dead battery in the garage within 7 days of purchase. If the issues can't be diagnosed I would dump the car. You will never trust it. A dealer trade in may be easiest so you don't have to deal with a private party sale as that may come back to you. Our '14 had a transmission failure within 200 miles but the replacement car has been good so far(6K miles)
Obviously I read the Original post incorrectly!.
Pull the horns back in. Wow!, it's an Internet forum....Keep calm and and carry on. Wow!
LibGrandCher is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

Lemon law it or at least start the proceedings I bet the dealer will get off their a$$
Unread 06-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
chickdr
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Lemon law it or at least start the proceedings I bet the dealer will get off their a$$
Probably too late for that as it is a 2012 and it has been over 12mths.
Unread 07-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
Tooms1121
2012 WK 

I'm in the same boat. Love the car, looks great, rides great, but its been giving me trouble. Had the head replaced at 22k and now I have the TIPM failure symptoms at 54k. My old 4.0's never gave me engine trouble (although the ZJ trans was a headache.) Pretty disappointed.
Tooms1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
nathantw
2012 WK 

Quote:
I purchased my Jeep new and since have been stranded at least 8 times.
Sorry to hear that. I purchased mine new on November 2011 and, like my 2001 WJ, haven't had a problem with the vehicle. Almost at 60,000 miles and it looks and drives like it was new.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
DRKRED12

If you are out of warranty you may want to look at getting a rebuilt TIPM. I believe a new one cost about $1100 and a rebuilt one is about $600. There was a post on how to obtain a rebuilt one. I'm sure you could do a search.
DRKRED12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
TylerDurdenPHI

I have been working directly with the corporate offices in Detroit, who relay information to my dealership. They are currently waiting for a part to be ordered and replace it to see if it helps. I believe he said it was the Wireless Module? It will be covered under warranty (which ends in September). I fear TIPM. The dealer tried to have me pick up the vehicle before it was repaired and then bring it back in when the part arrived. I mentioned this to corporate and then had them extend my free rental until the issue is resolved. Still haven’t heard anything- I just know that I am more than ready to get out of the base model Patriot they gave me.

I thought about the Lemon Law but do not know much about it. I think the problem will come as I have not taken it to the dealership each time I have had the issue – as it would start and work fine for months on end after. We shall see.

Also with a case such as this, would anyone recommend extending my warranty?
TylerDurdenPHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
chickdr
2014 WK 

You might want an extension in this case if you intend to keep the Jeep. It sounds like they are working with you at least...
Unread 07-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #15
snakegriffin
2013 WK 

I've had the same problem since I purchased my 2013 GJC Laredo X. Intermittently just doesn't start. Usually is between 10 minutes to an hour before it will start. Made me late to work and meetings on multiple occasions. Take it to the dealer, and it starts right up, so they "can't diagnose it". My research has also lead to the TIPM, but obviously without a code pointing to this as the problem, they refuse to fix it. This is among *many* other issues that I've had with this Jeep, the latest of which is that my cruise control only works 1 out of 3 times I drive the car. I think I have a lemon, but I'm way past the lemon law statute. If this cruise control problem doesn't get fixed the next time I bring it in, I'll be starting another issue with Chrysler, this time with the objective to get some kind of deal on a trade in. I just can't have a vehicle that I can't predict when it will start.
snakegriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.