2012 Grand Cherokee buying options? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Grand Cherokee buying options?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
wxchaser

2014 WK 

Question 2012 Grand Cherokee buying options?

I'm thinking of purchasing Grand Cherokee 2012 model but info is a bit hard to come by so far. Purchase options include Laredo, Limited, Overland and SRT8

I had wanted to purchase an '11 Overland Summit but wanted to wait one model year for initial production bugs to work out.

I'm thinking of buying the 2012 Overland 4x4 3.6L V6 - with the 26r package. I don't really see or understand if there is a "Summit" option - and if I order the Off Road Adventure packages, since I want the skid plate - with the 26r package I still get the 20" wheels, correct?

Anyone who has purchased a 2011 or 2012 Overland, I'd sure be glad to listen to any of your advice on purchasing options. Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum for my first post seeking advice. Thanks!

wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Fellows
2011 WK 

There should still be a Summit edition Grand Cherokee in 2012, I was just able to build and price one just now. All Overland and Overland Summits come with 20 inch wheels (polished on Summits, painted on regular Overlands). I personally wouldn't prefer 20 inch wheels if I was actually going to do some serious offroading since your tires will have smaller profiles to compensate for the extra rim diameter. I'd rather have a fat cushy tire to absorb all the damage and not have to worry about a bent rim in the middle of a canyon somewhere. If you're just using it around town, flaunting the "I can climb mountains in this thing but choose not to" look, the polished 20s look damn good and will suit you fine.

As far as waiting a year for the bugs to get worked out, there probably isn't much of a difference between getting the very last 2011's and the very first 2012s. You could also probably swing a much better deal on a 2011 right now since they'll want to get those off the lot soon. That and for resale purposes, you'll put most of your miles on the 2011 in 2012, making your miles driven per year appear lower. I made the mistake of buying the very first 2009 model year of another car back in 2008, just to have a 15 months of miles racked up in one year (I had 5K miles before Jan 1 of 2009), which lowered my KBB value by quite a bit. That and I lost all my bargaining chips by getting the very first one off the truck, so I ended up paying top dollar. At least there was a facelift for that car that year, the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee is no different from a 2011 except for the absence of some color choices.
Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
oldmac1
2014 WK 

I just picked up a Hemi Overland (2011) last of July. Traded in a 09 GC which I dearly loved for this new one. If you can find a 11 that you like don't be afraid to buy it as I am extremely pleased with mine. My suggestion is to purchase what you like, but I am fairly certain the better financial deal would be on a 11 now. Wonderful car. Good luck.

14 GC Overland
12 Liberty
08 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
wxchaser

2014 WK 

Thanks guys for the advice. The only reason I held back on buying a 2011 model was for the shakeout in bugs with the new design. Now my concern buying one would be depreciation after purchase - my wife was bugging me about resale values of the Jeep models. I reallly do like what they've done though, definitely a step up from previous designs, especially interior.
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
wxchaser

2014 WK 

I was able to get to the 2012 configurator - boy there sure is a lack of color options exterior/interior on the 2012 Overlands compared to last model year!

One question I have is I would really like the skid plate, but also the 20" wheels. May have to go aftermarket because with Jeep you get one or the other I believe.
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
Fellows
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
Thanks guys for the advice. The only reason I held back on buying a 2011 model was for the shakeout in bugs with the new design. Now my concern buying one would be depreciation after purchase - my wife was bugging me about resale values of the Jeep models. I reallly do like what they've done though, definitely a step up from previous designs, especially interior.
I wouldn't worry too much about resale value. Jeeps tend to keep a better resale as far as Chrysler products are concerned. Jeep Wranglers have about the best resale value of any vehicle on the road. They probably won't beat the resale of a Honda Pilot, but a fully loaded Pilot cost about the same as a fully loaded Cherokee and is missing some serious features (adaptive cruise, BLIS, HIDs, vented seats, real leather, 20 in wheels, heated rear seats, pano roof, etc.). On the conservative side, I'd say the Honda is missing about $5000 worth of features, but may resale for $5000 more, so it all evens out. Only you still have to deal with the Honda's yawn inspiring looks while you own it.
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:29 AM   #7
wxchaser

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellows View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about resale value. Jeeps tend to keep a better resale as far as Chrysler products are concerned. Jeep Wranglers have about the best resale value of any vehicle on the road. They probably won't beat the resale of a Honda Pilot, but a fully loaded Pilot cost about the same as a fully loaded Cherokee and is missing some serious features (adaptive cruise, BLIS, HIDs, vented seats, real leather, 20 in wheels, heated rear seats, pano roof, etc.). On the conservative side, I'd say the Honda is missing about $5000 worth of features, but may resale for $5000 more, so it all evens out. Only you still have to deal with the Honda's yawn inspiring looks while you own it.
I've owned several Hondas so I can attest to the blah factor! Still own a 2007 Honda Accord coupe (for the wife) - that is a great little car though.
I really want a Jeep, waited way too long to get one.
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Many here buy a WK2 model without skid plates, for one reason or another, and add them later. The OEM skid plates are available from the jeep accessory catalog and for a bit less money at several retailers. Your dealer will be happy to include them and the installation in the deal. The front and transfer case plates are an easy 60 minute DIY install, the fuel tank can be more difficult. Unless you are into serious off roading, the fuel tank plate may be considered a luxury. If you are into serious off roading, 20 inch wheels are not very good anyway.

The other functional change for 2012 is that the ELSD (rear limited slip) is no longer standard with the V8, only comes with the off road package. But you are looking at the V6 anyway (limited slip is not available on any V6).

If you are interested in a 2011, look at ones with a 1 May or later build date as the new car bugs have been worked out by then.
ColdCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #9
wxchaser

2014 WK 

Thanks ColdCase - excellent post with detailed information! Greatly appreciated, that really helps me.
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Trailguide
2012 WK 

Also with the Off-Road Package you get Quadra Drive (and limited slip). I find most like the Quadra Drive.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
I had wanted to purchase an '11 Overland Summit but wanted to wait one model year for initial production bugs to work out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
If you are interested in a 2011, look at ones with a 1 May or later build date as the new car bugs have been worked out by then.

Ha! wouldn't count on the bugs to be gone yet....I'm pretty sure the 2012 Overland at my dealer still has air suspension problems, it has a hissing noise while lifting/lowering by the pump like ours did when it was broken and the pump cycles quite often when it shouldn't.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:02 AM   #12
Fellows
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepOrvis97 View Post
Ha! wouldn't count on the bugs to be gone yet....I'm pretty sure the 2012 Overland at my dealer still has air suspension problems, it has a hissing noise while lifting/lowering by the pump like ours did when it was broken and the pump cycles quite often when it shouldn't.
I think quadralift is always going to be a problem. That system has been out for years on Land Rovers and they still haven't worked the bugs out. It's pretty much out of Jeep's hands at this point unless they quit offering it altogether.
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
wxchaser

2014 WK 

If you put skid plates on a Grand Cherokee with 20 inch wheels - they will rub - so not sure the Summit package is going to work out for me, since I do plan to off road with this vehicle. I do really like the Summit interior though.

Still having trouble even locating much within 500 miles of my location as it is.
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
waggoner5

I'm headed to Chicago Friday to pick up my '12 Overland because none of the local Denver dealers have what I want and are to lazy to go get one.
waggoner5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
wxchaser

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggoner5 View Post
I'm headed to Chicago Friday to pick up my '12 Overland because none of the local Denver dealers have what I want and are to lazy to go get one.
Yeah I checked the Denver dealerships, including Boulder - and could not find much. I could check out Chicago or Kansas City pretty easily though, thanks.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.