2012 GC Laredo 4x4 or '12 Compass? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 GC Laredo 4x4 or '12 Compass?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
mx71
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
interesting "the compass (2.4l) does about 23 to 25mpg average on the highway. She gets about 20 in town which is where most of her driving takes place". Round trip to lakeland last weekend including puttering around the airport for a bit 147 miles total, 1/2 on a/c, evic read 24.6 mpg on return. First tank urban 18.6 mpg, second 20.1, still under 1,000 miles on clock.

When first at the dealer i drove several different models including the cvt compass. Wk2 felt much more solid. Been a fan of cvt since the daf variomatic but most still have torque capacity issues (audi may have solved, not sure about across the other ocean). Does work fine in my '86 honda spacy.

That said the wk2 just felt much better to me then and still does now, i have gotten to like it more all of the time. Have had a number of 4 cyl cars but just like a six more and specs on the pentastar are impressive.

Was looking for over 3,000 lbs towing capacity since have been known to bring an orphan home on a trailer or dolly, transport was at the limit even just with the dolly or a flat tow (like the dolly a lot better but nothing beats a tandem trailer).

Finally, the only thing we know about the future is that it will be different than anything imaginable. If gas hits $6/gal then maybe e-85 will be economical (and florida is an excellent place to grow sugar beets and sweet sorgham). Win-win.

So i'd say get the wk2 but am biased.

one of these is a diesel.
+1

mx71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #17
JDR
2012 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquared83 View Post
I drive about 20-25k miles a year.. Does the more expensive GC worth the extra $$?
FYI: I drive about 30k a year. I have owned my JGC since December 15, and have 6k miles on it. This is my first Jeep, and I have to say I love it! I consistently get 23-23 mpg since I drive mostly highway, usually going 65 to 75 (up to 80) mph. Occasionally the mpg dips to 19 if I do a lot of in-town driving.

If you decide to purchase (which would be my recommendation with that mileage) consider an extended warranty. I keep my vehicles well past 100k, and got the lifetime unlimited warranty. See other warranty posts for info.

Good luck.
JDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #18
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superserialMBP
Consumer Reports gives the Compass Latitude a 49/100 score and the GC Laredo X (V6) a 71/100, just saying.
I wouldnt believe anything consumer reports says about vehicles they are idiots! They said in there last magazine the wrangler is not a great offroad vehicle!
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehman26 View Post
I wouldnt believe anything consumer reports says about vehicles they are idiots! They said in there last magazine the wrangler is not a great offroad vehicle!
I have Consumer Reports and they actually said that the Wrangler has good off-road capability.

The pros were: Off-road capability, improved drivetrain

Cons: Ride, handling, braking, wind noise, access, driving position, seat comfort, visibility, fit and finish, fuel economy.

Keep in mind that they test all their cars on their mostly paved driving course and emphasive paved driving manuevers. Rock climbing, forging rivers, etc. are not part of their tests. Most people that buy Wranglers aren't doing so for their driving on pavement prowess.

The current Patriot, Compass, and Liberty got the last three spots in their small SUV category and I believe it. I had a Patriot as a rental last year and it was pure GARBAGE.
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

There was a article in it about that...theres a thread on it in the wrangler section to. But even other than that usually everything CR says is biased i think. As far as staying on topic though i believe you should buy what you like, either the compass or gc are good choices.
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.