2012 GC Laredo 4x4 or '12 Compass? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 GC Laredo 4x4 or '12 Compass?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Jsquared83

2012 GC Laredo 4x4 or '12 Compass?

Hi everyone, new to board.. and I know the question seems a little insane, esp on this board however, I'm in the market for a new SUV. I've never owned one before and prefer the look and feel of a Jeep. I'm looking to lease and have seen some good deals on both models. Basically a loaded Compass or a basic Laredo, both would be 4x4. The Compass has superior gas mileage and I drive about 20-25k miles a year.. Does the more expensive GC worth the extra $$? Any help with both would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Jsquared83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

If you're driving that much per year (i feel ya - i put 40k+ on a vehicle in a year) then I'd reconsider the lease aspect. It's hard to find that kind of lease option (high mileage), and you definitely do not want to go over. The compass will save a lot of fuel $, and if you're not dead set on a GC, that sounds like a good idea.

Again, check into the lease options at your dealers. Most do not offer lease options > 15k miles per year.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquared83 View Post
Hi everyone, new to board.. and I know the question seems a little insane, esp on this board however, I'm in the market for a new SUV. I've never owned one before and prefer the look and feel of a Jeep. I'm looking to lease and have seen some good deals on both models. Basically a loaded Compass or a basic Laredo, both would be 4x4. The Compass has superior gas mileage and I drive about 20-25k miles a year.. Does the more expensive GC worth the extra $$? Any help with both would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Is the 4X4 for bad weather/snow/etc. - or are you really going to be going off road?

I assume you're thinking Compass instead of Patriot because it looks more like a Grand Cherokee?

You could test drive them and see which you prefer. Personally, I vote for least expensive to own/operate, but once again, that's personal preference.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
NotNowChief
2011 WK 

I wouldn't even consider a Compass/Patriot as they are due for replacement by one model soon. Go for the base GC, even a Liberty if you want smaller.
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Jsquared83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Is the 4X4 for bad weather/snow/etc. - or are you really going to be going off road?

I assume you're thinking Compass instead of Patriot because it looks more like a Grand Cherokee?

You could test drive them and see which you prefer. Personally, I vote for least expensive to own/operate, but once again, that's personal preference.
Mostly bad weather. I live up in NJ so the winters can get kinda hectic. I do like the new look of the Compass but all the reviews Ive seen are mixed, mostly gripes about the CVT. The GC would be stretching my budget a little but I'm figuring it's going to last me a lot longer and hold it's value a lot better. Soon to be $4+ gas is the main thing keeping from being all in with the GC.
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

It might be more economical to buy/finance one instead of trying to get a 25K+ mile lease on one, so I'd consider looking at both options.

Are you looking at any other brands/models of SUVs too? In the small SUV class, I'd take a Subaru Forester over a Jeep Compass.
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Jsquared83

Quote:
Originally Posted by superserialMBP View Post
It might be more economical to buy/finance one instead of trying to get a 25K+ mile lease on one, so I'd consider looking at both options.

Are you looking at any other brands/models of SUVs too? In the small SUV class, I'd take a Subaru Forester over a Jeep Compass.
Yea the buying option is a lot better for my mileage needed. As for other small SUVs, Im pretty picky. I like the GMC Terrain/Chevy Equinox, Ford Escape but thats old styling and the '13 looks like crap. Not really a fan of the foreign SUVs even though I do like the looks of the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport.
Unread 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
WKDiesel56
2012 WK 

Quote:

Thanks
As someone who has experience with both a '12 GC Overland 4x4 and a '11 Compass 4x4 I will bite on this one. My mother has a '11 Compass 4x4 in the Lattitude trim which I have driven a fair amount. She just loves it. When I am in in California this is the vehicle I take into San Francisco since it is smaller and easier to park. The Compass is a good solid small car, IMO built well for what it is. Obviously it is noisier than the Grand Cherokee and the fit and finish is not as nice,it's also smaller. She has the basic 4x4 system (no 4-Lo) but she has told me it does just fine on the snowy highways in the northern California mountains when she goes to Tahoe. The Compass (2.4L) does about 23 to 25mpg average on the highway. She gets about 20 in town which is where most of her driving takes place. IMO if you are looking for a small SUV the Compass is not a bad machine at all, power is adequate and the CVT is really not bad, you just have to get used to the way it shifts. The other nice thing is you can fold the front seat forward completely flat for more room when needed. There is plenty of room to comfortably seat 4 adults in it and the rear seats recline which gives you a little more room. My daughter's monstrous rear facing Recaro car seat fits in the back seat just fine - no one in the front has to sit "in the windshield" when it is in there. If I was in the market for a reasonably priced small SUV I would probably buy a Compass for myself but personally it is too small for my needs. If you can get a good deal on one even better. We buy our Jeeps from a friend who is a sales manager in CA and get them at or below invoice. She paid around $20,000 for hers which was less than invoice with rebates and everything this past summer. It has power everything, remote start, chrome trim, alloy wheels, reclining rear seats, etc. Decided on this after looking at the VW Tiguan and Subaru Forester. For the money, even at sticker price, you can't beat the Jeep.
Unread 03-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
JeepCares

Quote:
I do like the new look of the Compass but all the reviews Ive seen are mixed, mostly gripes about the CVT. The GC would be stretching my budget a little but I'm figuring it's going to last me a lot longer and hold it's value a lot better. Soon to be $4+ gas is the main thing keeping from being all in with the GC.
Definitely thinking you need to drive both.

See if you even like the feeling of the CVT II.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Jsquared83

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKDiesel56 View Post
As someone who has experience with both a '12 GC Overland 4x4 and a '11 Compass 4x4 I will bite on this one. My mother has a '11 Compass 4x4 in the Lattitude trim which I have driven a fair amount. She just loves it. When I am in in California this is the vehicle I take into San Francisco since it is smaller and easier to park. The Compass is a good solid small car, IMO built well for what it is. Obviously it is noisier than the Grand Cherokee and the fit and finish is not as nice,it's also smaller. She has the basic 4x4 system (no 4-Lo) but she has told me it does just fine on the snowy highways in the northern California mountains when she goes to Tahoe. The Compass (2.4L) does about 23 to 25mpg average on the highway. She gets about 20 in town which is where most of her driving takes place. IMO if you are looking for a small SUV the Compass is not a bad machine at all, power is adequate and the CVT is really not bad, you just have to get used to the way it shifts. The other nice thing is you can fold the front seat forward completely flat for more room when needed. There is plenty of room to comfortably seat 4 adults in it and the rear seats recline which gives you a little more room. My daughter's monstrous rear facing Recaro car seat fits in the back seat just fine - no one in the front has to sit "in the windshield" when it is in there. If I was in the market for a reasonably priced small SUV I would probably buy a Compass for myself but personally it is too small for my needs. If you can get a good deal on one even better. We buy our Jeeps from a friend who is a sales manager in CA and get them at or below invoice. She paid around $20,000 for hers which was less than invoice with rebates and everything this past summer. It has power everything, remote start, chrome trim, alloy wheels, reclining rear seats, etc. Decided on this after looking at the VW Tiguan and Subaru Forester. For the money, even at sticker price, you can't beat the Jeep.
Wow, thanks for the detailed response! As far as size goes, a decent chunk of my driving will be with my girlfriend and her almost 5 year old daughter who will naturally be in a car seat in the back. I wont be carting around tons of crap, just your usual beach stuff in the summer and whatever kids like to play with on longer trips lol As for deals in my area, I think theres $1000 rebate until 4/30/2012. I will be returning home from Army AIT training on the 22nd of the both and will be carless so I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I leave.
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
WvTaco
2011 WK 

subaru outback. 29 mpg highway and full time awd we get 27-32mpg out of it. 25k price also does great in the snow also.

but between those two. driven both u would have to chissle the wk2 out of my hands.
i get the same mpg as the above stated compass in my wk2.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

Get the Grand Cherokee. I can't even believe the comparison.
jgc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
padgett
2012 WK 

Interesting "The Compass (2.4L) does about 23 to 25mpg average on the highway. She gets about 20 in town which is where most of her driving takes place". Round trip to Lakeland last weekend including puttering around the airport for a bit 147 miles total, 1/2 on a/c, EVIC read 24.6 MPG on return. First tank urban 18.6 MPG, second 20.1, still under 1,000 miles on clock.

When first at the dealer I drove several different models including the CVT Compass. WK2 felt much more solid. Been a fan of CVT since the DAF Variomatic but most still have torque capacity issues (Audi may have solved, not sure about across the other ocean). Does work fine in my '86 Honda Spacy.

That said the WK2 just felt much better to me then and still does now, I have gotten to like it more all of the time. Have had a number of 4 cyl cars but just like a six more and specs on the Pentastar are impressive.

Was looking for over 3,000 lbs towing capacity since have been known to bring an orphan home on a trailer or dolly, TranSport was at the limit even just with the dolly or a flat tow (like the dolly a lot better but nothing beats a tandem trailer).

Finally, the only thing we know about the future is that it will be different than anything imaginable. If gas hits $6/gal then maybe E-85 will be economical (and Florida is an excellent place to grow sugar beets and sweet sorgham). Win-Win.

So I'd say get the WK2 but am biased.

One of these is a diesel.
Unread 03-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
Justal13
2012 WK 

I get better highway mpg with my 2012 GC V6 Q1 Laredo X than my mother's 2010 Patriot Limited 4x4 4 cylinder. City mpg with the Patriot is slightly better. The Patriot is $10K cheaper and easier to get in and out (and less ground clearance) for my mother.

I would not even think to take the Patriot off-road beyond gravel and light ruts. The Patriot does not ride as nice and quiet as the GC. Personally, I am not keen on the Patriot or Compass styling. Best luck in your decision.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

Consumer Reports gives the Compass Latitude a 49/100 score and the GC Laredo X (V6) a 71/100, just saying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.