2012 GC Air suspension failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 GC Air suspension failure

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
chubbyhubby
2012 WK 

2012 GC Air suspension failure

Greetings All,
9000 miles on a 2012 GC Overland. The first time we had bitter cold (-10F), I had a warning along the lines of, "System malfunction....Must cool off before using....Immediate service required" when it tried to change height. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, since I don't have a lot of confidence in the air adjust system, is it possible to substitute with conventional shocks if worst comes to worst???
Also, in the cold, my tire pressures dropped by 10psi all around. I thought nitrogen wasn't supposed to be so temperature sensitive.
Any thoughts? Thanks, CH

chubbyhubby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

^^^^ - You may find the following post helpful:
/http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...-snow-1954090/
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
TurboRush

There have been a handful that have seen this message when it got extremely cold. Once things "warmed" up they seemed to return to normal.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
JeepCares

Just an FYI-

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 08-034-12
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: May 10, 2012
SUBJECT:
Flash: Service Air Suspension Message And/Or U0415-00 And/Or C159E-15 Set
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Air Suspension Control Module (ASCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2011 - 2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with Quadra-Lift (TM) Air
Suspension (sales code SER) built before May 1, 2012 (MDH 0501XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a “Service Air Suspension” message. Upon further
investigation the Technician may find that U0415-00 Impliable Data Received From
Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) or C159E-15 Air Pump Temperature Sensor has been set active or stored.
Also if the vehicle is driven in extremely cold temperatures (-30C/-22F) the ASCM should be updated with the new software. The new software will allow the air compressor to continue to operate until -40C/-40F.
Updating the software will correct the conditions listed above.
Unread 01-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
Alaska-HWY JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Just an FYI-

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 08-034-12
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: May 10, 2012
SUBJECT:
Flash: Service Air Suspension Message And/Or U0415-00 And/Or C159E-15 Set
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Air Suspension Control Module (ASCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2011 - 2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with Quadra-Lift (TM) Air
Suspension (sales code SER) built before May 1, 2012 (MDH 0501XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a “Service Air Suspension” message. Upon further
investigation the Technician may find that U0415-00 Impliable Data Received From
Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) or C159E-15 Air Pump Temperature Sensor has been set active or stored.
Also if the vehicle is driven in extremely cold temperatures (-30C/-22F) the ASCM should be updated with the new software. The new software will allow the air compressor to continue to operate until -40C/-40F.
Updating the software will correct the conditions listed above.
-10 = Bitter Cold? We've had -40 and colder and it works alright. I think I've seen that message once in the 2 years my Wife's had her Overland.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
sbarbjer

I had the warning "Service Air Suspension System" show up on my display on my 2014 GC Overland several weeks ago. Brought it in the dealer to repair it for the day (rental car). They called me up and told me to pick up the car, that they had to order a Air Suspension module. It's been 1.5 weeks since then. I called the dealer yesterday to get a ETA on the part. They said maybe by March 7th but no promises. I live in Orange County, CA so the weather isn't the problem. Hope it's the module.
service-air-suspension-system-display.jpg

sbarbjer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
briggsJeep

The air suspension on my 2011 failed two weeks ago during a snow storm. Mine was worst case scenario. By the time I got it to the dealership it was riding on the bump stops, looking like a lowrider. Apparently the module that controls the air suspension system failed, causing the compressor to run non-stop. The only way I could get the compressor to stop was to pull the fuse. They replaced the module and compressor, under warranty fortunately. It was a $5200 repair.

Interestingly, the service guy indicated that the problem was related to the cold weather, although it may have been 25-30 degrees when it failed. We don't see negative temps in NC. He claimed that the new system would not have this problem.

My warranty expires in a few months. I'm really concerned about the air system failing again.
briggsJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsJeep View Post

My warranty expires in a few months. I'm really concerned about the air system failing again.
There are a lot of them on the road without issues, but you could think about chrysler's extended warranties.
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
briggsJeep

Considering a warranty.
briggsJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
rsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsJeep
Considering a warranty.
Get the lifetime warranty. Piece of mind. I've had lots of issues with my 12 overland. Probably would have gotten out of it if I didn't have the lifetime warranty.
rsteps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.