2012 Chevy Tahoe vs 2014 grand Cherokee limited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Chevy Tahoe vs 2014 grand Cherokee limited

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Grand Cherokee Tie Rods & Adjusting Sleeves

Reply
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
xjrguy
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueinterceptor View Post
That's kinda not fair. I asked several questions that if you read thru the forum
Has several threads on just the questions I asked. I know what I have in the Tahoe but am unfamiliar with jeeps. If I did not like the truck, I would not be asking.
You guys have threads about blue smoke, burning oil, problems with driving in sand. Uconnect not working. Radios not remembering stations. Etc
What I am looking for is an opinion and experiences so that I can look for common problems that I could avoid in my build.

These cars have 2 reputations one good and one bad.
I have a 2012.

It has 12000 miles and is a fully loaded Summit with the V8.

If there was something to break/die/malfunction in a vehicle, this has all the doodads that would fail.

To date I have had zero issues with the vehicle except for the SERV 4WD problem when I was in SAND mode in Joshua Tree (yes this thing does go offroad and it is used for that purpose just like my Wrangler)

It did burn a quart of oil between 7000 and 12000 miles (I use nothing but synthetic and service all our vehicles myself)

I've had all the outstanding TSB's done to the vehicle.

The air suspension has never given me a problem.

I did put a Mopar CAI on it and I tossed the crappy Michelin tires within the first couple thousand miles of ownership.

Happy owner here.

Hope that helps.

xjrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #17
Blueinterceptor
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy View Post
I have a 2012.

It has 12000 miles and is a fully loaded Summit with the V8.

If there was something to break/die/malfunction in a vehicle, this has all the doodads that would fail.

To date I have had zero issues with the vehicle except for the SERV 4WD problem when I was in SAND mode in Joshua Tree (yes this thing does go offroad and it is used for that purpose just like my Wrangler)

It did burn a quart of oil between 7000 and 12000 miles (I use nothing but synthetic and service all our vehicles myself)

I've had all the outstanding TSB's done to the vehicle.

The air suspension has never given me a problem.

I did put a Mopar CAI on it and I tossed the crappy Michelin tires within the first couple thousand miles of ownership.

Happy owner here.

Hope that helps.



Thanks. Very helpful
Blueinterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
jaje
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 456
The Tahoe is a large suv versus the WK2 which is a midsize suv. I went from an 2wd '08 Silvy with 5.3 v8 extended cab and could not fit it in my 3 car garage (too long) so it had to be parked outside in the driveway (pain in the butt). When the lease expired I got rid of it and bought an 4wd '07 diesel WK. Fuel mileage aside (I get 26 in the diesel but got at best 19mpg in the Silvy) it is smaller footprint (about the same dimensions as my '08 WRX) and fits in the garage easily and leaves room for storage as well..
__________________
'14 WK2 EcoDiesel Limited
'13 Subaru BRZ
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #19
02jeepliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 477
Just traded in my 2007 Tahoe LTZ. It was fully loaded, it had every option even the automatic running boards. Could not be happier with my 2014 Jeep GC Summit. The build quality and ride is far superior than the Tahoe and it is silent inside the cabin. Couldn't be happier with it.
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #20
Trailguide
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 351
I have a beautiful white 2012. Purchased new. I love this all around vechile. Takes on Forest roads out west, pulls my camper with ease (V8) and goes through snow with no problems. All systems have worked to this date. My air system gets used all the time and works great. It handles very, very well and is very comfortable. Problems, just kept up with TSB's and that's it. Nimble, yes.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #21
2kg4u
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 546
I have been in vehicle interior development for the past 15 years or so, and am very conscious of fit, finish, TALC (touch, access, lighting and controls) as well as BSR (buzz, squeek and rattle). Other than an annoying rattle from the rear license plate against the hard rubber standoff (fixed with a small patch of felt) my 2014 Overland has good fit and finish, and absolutely no squeeks or rattles. I could not be happier with my purchase.
__________________
Roy
2014 Overland, 3.6 L
Fumoto Qwikvalve, Ionic CXV running boards, Michelin X-Ice Xi2 snow tires
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #22
ZX-10R
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 385
Had a 2003 Trailblazer LT...249K miles until a large truck did a hit and run..,It is the benchmark for any suv now and so far the jeeps meets it in most ways. Trailblazer interior and rear space bigger. Have to take 3 wood and driver out of jeep to fit across in rear. Trailblazer was more
comfortable...However the ride of the Jeep is much better and stiffer. Trailblazer was sofa on wheels. This is my 2nd Jeep first was
95 wrangler years when I graduated college. That last 110K until I sold it to a buddy. Reliability on GMa are incredible...2005
G6 GT had 160k miles. Jeep is no slouch. Different years but each the trailblazer and Jeep rate equal so far in regards to everything. Only e will tell now. If the non USA trailblazer made it to America when I bought this GC I would be in the Trailblazer
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #23
02jeepliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R
Had a 2003 Trailblazer LT...249K miles until a large truck did a hit and run..,It is the benchmark for any suv now and so far the jeeps meets it in most ways. Trailblazer interior and rear space bigger. Have to take 3 wood and driver out of jeep to fit across in rear. Trailblazer was more comfortable...However the ride of the Jeep is much better and stiffer. Trailblazer was sofa on wheels. This is my 2nd Jeep first was 95 wrangler years when I graduated college. That last 110K until I sold it to a buddy. Reliability on GMa are incredible...2005 G6 GT had 160k miles. Jeep is no slouch. Different years but each the trailblazer and Jeep rate equal so far in regards to everything. Only e will tell now. If the non USA trailblazer made it to America when I bought this GC I would be in the Trailblazer
see, I had the exact opposite experience with GM. With my 2007 Chevy Tahoe, I had nothing but problems. Windshield was replaced three times due to defects in the glass, the navigation had to be replaced because the CD would not eject, HVAC controls replaced more than 5 times due to them going faulty and paint chipping off, automatic running boards were replaced once because they developed a mind of their own and would go up and down whenever they wanted to, my head liner was replaced twice due to the rear windshield washer fluid leaking on it and when they put it all back together all the trim pieces didn't match up and they broke a lot of the clips, and the dealership failed to fix it. Honestly, the list goes on and on and I have spent thousands of dollars keeping the thing running as long as it did. Never again will I go back to GM. Needless to say the interior of my Tahoe looked like a two-year-old put it together by the time they were done with it. I'm glad to see it gone and be in a jeep. I also have a 2006 Pontiac GTO, but that doesn't really count as it was built in Australia and shipped to America. That on the other hand has better quality and I enjoy that car. But it is too bad that they put Pontiac out of business
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #24
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 4,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Had a 2003 Trailblazer LT... It is the benchmark for any suv now
I don't think so, although the Trailblazer does have a small fan base that thinks otherwise. The trailblazer is more of a truck and sized like an aircraft carrier, not much sport or small depending on your view of what the S is in SUV.. but if you need a truck you need a truck. The Jeep is more compact, its always been more compact since Jeep invented the SUV concept decades ago.
__________________
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6, 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #25
ZX-10R
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase
I don't think so, although it does have a small fan base that thinks otherwise.
Meaning the benchmark for any SUV I own. Designer of my trailblazer was designer for the bubble shaped Grand Cherokee I believe.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #26
ZX-10R
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty
see, I had the exact opposite experience with GM. With my 2007 Chevy Tahoe, I had nothing but problems. Windshield was replaced three times due to defects in the glass, the navigation had to be replaced because the CD would not eject, HVAC controls replaced more than 5 times due to them going faulty and paint chipping off, automatic running boards were replaced once because they developed a mind of their own and would go up and down whenever they wanted to, my head liner was replaced twice due to the rear windshield washer fluid leaking on it and when they put it all back together all the trim pieces didn't match up and they broke a lot of the clips, and the dealership failed to fix it. Honestly, the list goes on and on and I have spent thousands of dollars keeping the thing running as long as it did. Never again will I go back to GM. Needless to say the interior of my Tahoe looked like a two-year-old put it together by the time they were done with it. I'm glad to see it gone and be in a jeep. I also have a 2006 Pontiac GTO, but that doesn't really count as it was built in Australia and shipped to America. That on the other hand has better quality and I enjoy that car. But it is too bad that they put Pontiac out of business
I love GM. However I am proud to say at one point I had a car from each of the USA car makers in my driveway. I love the new Chevy Colorado but I am waiting for the return of the Trailblazer.

I love this Jeep right now though.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #27
rc51jim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 71
Haha I remember back in 2006, It was Trailblazer SS vs GC SRT8.
Trailblazer SS never did very well in that battle.

As far as the Tahoe goes. Not very comparable, it is a much larger vehicle.
The HEMI in the GC is worlds better than GM's 5.3. When I had a Tahoe work truck (2012 or 2013) it couldn't really get out of it's own way. Lot's of noise for not much go.
__________________
'14 WK2 Limited 4x4
5.7 Hemi, Luxury Group II
Navigation(8.4AN), Tow Package
X-Pipe Mod
rc51jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #28
02jeepliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51jim
Haha I remember back in 2006, It was Trailblazer SS vs GC SRT8. Trailblazer SS never did very well in that battle. As far as the Tahoe goes. Not very comparable, it is a much larger vehicle. The HEMI in the GC is worlds better than GM's 5.3. When I had a Tahoe work truck (2012 or 2013) it couldn't really get out of it's own way. Lot's of noise for not much go.
I agree with you, I will never own a Tahoe again. The GC is so much nicer in every aspect. The Tahoe I had also had the problem with the cheap plastic dash cracking in multiple spots. GM doesn't seem to have great quality anymore with most of their vehicle. Just with the corvette and Cadillacs. Maybe some GMCs. All I know is I will never buy from them again. And imo, the Colorado looks like it could easily be a Nissan, it just looks foreign, but it is sporty looking.
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #29
canistel
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 252
Funny how one's personal bias will lead us in certain directions. I can guarantee you though that GM has never released a drive train that performs as poorly as my jeep. My brother recently sold his dodge 1500, 2003 model or so; same problem as my jeep, it up shifted way to fast and gave a very frustrating experience; my brother's chevy is smooth and constant acceleration, no dead spots anywhere.

Neither Jeep / Dodge, nor GM can make any real claims to super high quality; some models from company X are stronger than competitors from company Y, but suffer in other areas. Fans of either who say stuff like "never buy X again" really need to think hard about this.

I too prefer the GC over the Tahoe; but the Tahoe has some nice features / advantages, certain people are attracted to certain aspects of the one or the other, neither is junk.
canistel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #30
02jeepliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel
Funny how one's personal bias will lead us in certain directions. I can guarantee you though that GM has never released a drive train that performs as poorly as my jeep. My brother recently sold his dodge 1500, 2003 model or so; same problem as my jeep, it up shifted way to fast and gave a very frustrating experience; my brother's chevy is smooth and constant acceleration, no dead spots anywhere. Neither Jeep / Dodge, nor GM can make any real claims to super high quality; some models from company X are stronger than competitors from company Y, but suffer in other areas. Fans of either who say stuff like "never buy X again" really need to think hard about this. I too prefer the GC over the Tahoe; but the Tahoe has some nice features / advantages, certain people are attracted to certain aspects of the one or the other, neither is junk.
Funny, the older body Silverado was known for the infamous clunk in the rear that no one could fix permanently. So I guess everything is just based on experiences, I on the other hand have not had one problem with my drivetrain on my 02 liberty, transmission still shifts smooth and on time, no clunks, and it is still tight on the curves. And with 140,000 miles almost, and all original components, and yes, still original transmission, I'm impressed with the quality in my Jeep. And I know it will last as long as I keep up on proper maintenance. I haven't had the same experiences with any GM product I have owned, except with my 2006 GTO, but it's not an everyday driver and only has 25,000 miles.
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.