2012 Chevy Tahoe vs 2014 grand Cherokee limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Chevy Tahoe vs 2014 grand Cherokee limited

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Blueinterceptor

2012 Chevy Tahoe vs 2014 grand Cherokee limited

Hello everyone. As this is my first post I wish to say hello and I am in need of your expert opinions.

I have a 2012 Chevy Tahoe it's a great car but as I bought a house, I was thinking of a lower payment.
The 2014 jeeps are beautiful and would be the only vehicle I would consider as a replacement.

How would you rate the quality of your jeeps. rate their ride ,comfort, handling
Overall quality from past ownership. Anything you care to comment on.
How do they work in deep snow 12 inches or better.

What options are must haves. Anybody trade out from a tahoe to the jeep?

Blueinterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueinterceptor View Post
Hello everyone. As this is my first post I wish to say hello and I am in need of your expert opinions.

I have a 2012 Chevy Tahoe it's a great car but as I bought a house, I was thinking of a lower payment.
The 2014 jeeps are beautiful and would be the only vehicle I would consider as a replacement.

How would you rate the quality of your jeeps. rate their ride ,comfort, handling
Overall quality from past ownership. Anything you care to comment on.
How do they work in deep snow 12 inches or better.

What options are must haves. Anybody trade out from a tahoe to the jeep?
I'll bite. Prob not very commonly cross shopped vehicles vs. folks looking at explorers vs GC, etc. Very diff SUV's. As you likely know already, the Tahoe is truck based, the GC is unibody with the chassis of the MB ML350 as it origins.

It is going to drive, handle way better than your tahoe

Quality has been good, of course, owners forums tend to select for both picky owners and those with problems looking for answers. The overall data suggests the GC is quite reliable with great quality

It will ride and drive much better than your Tahoe w/o doubt, much better MPG too (esp if you get a 6 cyl with new 8 spd tranny)

It terms of snow they are superb. Even with the most basic 4wd syste, (QT1) mine really kickes *** all winter. That was with the stock GY all seasons. I have heard the Michelins are not so hot in the snow, but switching to a slightly more agressive tire is easy.

happy hunting
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
jacko15
2014 WK 

Test drive several GC models, compare it with what you subjectively feel with your Tahoe, see if it meets your needs. It will be your vehicle, and you must like the way it drives, handles, fits your lifestyle. There have been a few with problems. I've had mine over a month now with no problems. I came from a Buick Enclave, kind of the opposite direction than you, and I love it. Pick a dealer with a good service reputation, because any machine can break, and your dealer's service dept is your lifeline. It's your decision. It's a Jeep through and through, that reputation precedes itself. They go anywhere, through anything. The quality has gotten steadily better over the last several years. I'm sure now there will be posts arguing every point I've made. But you were asking for opinions, and you got mine. In the final analysis, yours will be the only opinion that matters. Get in a few and drive them, it's up to you.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
nyrhockey23

my co-worker has a '12 Tahoe and got to ride in it once. It's basically a bus so it's going to feel a lot different than the Jeep, which has a much more sporty/car like feeling to it. I love driving it. You'll also be going from a SUV with a 3rd row to one without it so that is going to be a big change if you need that extra seating capacity.

As for reliability on the '14's i cannot comment as i have a '12, but it's been good for us.

You also mention needing to lower payments, but a '14 Limited is likely going to run you into the low $40K range so not sure how much you'd really be saving from a '12 Tahoe where you're already 12-18months into paying and will take a big depreciation hit when you trade it in.
nyrhockey23 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
illflo
2012 WK 

Went from a 2010 Silverado to a WK2 so similar vehicle but not exactly the same; also I have a '12 WK2 so can't comment on the new ones: the transition was smooth for me. The biggest differences will be in size, as others have mentioned above. I made the change for fuel economy and size reasons, as well as really liking the WK2s. Needed something classy with serious off road capability, so opted for the WK2. Have been extremely happy with my decision.
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Blueinterceptor

Thank you for your input. Keep your opinions coming as I do want them.
I plan to lease this vehicle so the costs will be 350 less per month.
The third seat in the Tahoe is useless to me for several reasons. I really would order the truck without it.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
DZRTRAT

my wife and i are actually looking at trading in our '06 VW jetta for a new WK2. opposite direction you're going but still looking for the same info. i'll be keeping an eye on the forums for any info, never bought a new car or any kind of heep before. (i'm a GM solid axle guy)
www.trailhoundsmokers.com
DZRTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Blueinterceptor

Regarding reliability. I am very picky. The switches knobs etc I hate squeaks and other nonsense. Please keep that in mind when you consider reliability.
I understand that if I hit a pothole or other road imperfection that there will be a noise.
How is the ride? Stiff? Compliant? After a month or 2

Last edited by Blueinterceptor; 05-21-2013 at 05:52 AM..
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #9
DGatzby1

I have them both in my garage. Work provides the Tahoe. The Jeep drives much different. It feels much more nimble, obviously from the size difference. We have the 5.7L. In town not much gas mileage difference actually, on the road the 5.7 of course will break 20 mpg, there is no way the Tahoe comes close. We have owned six GC's, because there is simply nothing like them in the snow. While the quality of the Chev is good, the GC has more options and just feels more comfortable. Now if they can get that radio to remember my channels, it would be all good. I think after I bring it in again, it will be about the sixth visit for that radio, and I dare say it will be the last or they will be keeping that vehicle.
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
Blueinterceptor

What is this stuff I read about blue smoke? Burning oil? Is this a common problem? Would synthetic oil mitigate the problem?
Is it limited to the 5.7 or 3.6 engine or is it common to both?
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
What is this stuff I read about blue smoke? Burning oil? Is this a common problem? Would synthetic oil mitigate the problem?
Is it limited to the 5.7 or 3.6 engine or is it common to both?
Buy a lexus, you will not be happy with a Jeep, go bug the lexus forum. We have answered your questions. If you are as picky as you state you pron wont be happy with anything I wonder. The GC is overall great, it handles aewsome for an SUV, it is excellent in the snow, it is, on average quite reliable but not Japanese reliable.

Sorry for the road rage but, dude, come on
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
Blueinterceptor

That's kinda not fair. I asked several questions that if you read thru the forum
Has several threads on just the questions I asked. I know what I have in the Tahoe but am unfamiliar with jeeps. If I did not like the truck, I would not be asking.
You guys have threads about blue smoke, burning oil, problems with driving in sand. Uconnect not working. Radios not remembering stations. Etc
What I am looking for is an opinion and experiences so that I can look for common problems that I could avoid in my build.

These cars have 2 reputations one good and one bad.
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That's kinda not fair. I asked several questions that if you read thru the forum
Has several threads on just the questions I asked. I know what I have in the Tahoe but am unfamiliar with jeeps. If I did not like the truck, I would not be asking.
You guys have threads about blue smoke, burning oil, problems with driving in sand. Uconnect not working. Radios not remembering stations. Etc
What I am looking for is an opinion and experiences so that I can look for common problems that I could avoid in my build.

Anyway...

The problems you see are not too common and many of the common ones have TSBs. Keep searching the forum for the info you need. Don't post a new thread on a topic that has been covered. There is a ton of info here. People come to forums to see if problems have been resolved or how prevalent they are. Most of us are happy owners. The WK2 is a great choice. I cannot say for 2014 line since it is new and I have never been in one so maybe consider the 2013? I think you would be happy with the WK2. If you still need space but want the Jeep-ish feel you can also look at the Durango but of course those are not as awesome as the WK2.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
shudog
2012 WK 

Quote:

WK2 has only been in production 3 yrs not including 2014. Tahoe has changed very little in 8 years or more. Less technology in terms of interior, drivetrain, etc. So I'd hope they have the bugs worked out by now.

As for common problems here on the forum, there may be 2 or 3 people mentioning those problems here, out of thousands of vehicles sold? People come to these forums to discuss problems and find solutions.

Have you scoured the Tahoe forums also to identify what problems their owners are reporting?
shudog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Blueinterceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shudog View Post
WK2 has only been in production 3 yrs not including 2014. Tahoe has changed very little in 8 years or more. Less technology in terms of interior, drivetrain, etc. So I'd hope they have the bugs worked out by now.

As for common problems here on the forum, there may be 2 or 3 people mentioning those problems here, out of thousands of vehicles sold? People come to these forums to discuss problems and find solutions.

Have you scoured the Tahoe forums also to identify what problems their owners are reporting?
I have scoured the Tahoe forums. And you are right about working the bugs out.
Regarding the jeeps, that's why I am here to gain from your experiences in ownership and knowledge about common problems. I am hoping that if there are any issues. They are minor and taken care of.
So far they seem pretty positive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.