2012 3.6 oil change ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 3.6 oil change ?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
I'm not liking that part about the filter housing cap being composite & likely easy to crack when tightening. Another case of going cheap to save a few cents? I would think metal would have been a better way to go. No?
It's better to use the composite cap and break it, than to use a metal cap, and have to replace the housing when it strips out. I was cautious of this as well, but it seems pretty well designed. It's not like the old composites of even 10 years ago, the OEMs have gotten pretty good at getting these right. If you're worried about it, get a cheap torque wrench to be safe. I do love the filter setup, even that the filter snaps into the cap for easy install! My buddy just got a 2014 Acadia, and it took us a while to find the filter crammed in front of the engine. He was jealous when he saw how easy the GCs is, lol.

As far as the OP asked about ramps, I can actually crawl under pretty easy if I just lay cardboard down. A creeper takes up too much room. Ramps shouldn't hurt anything, I'm just saying I didn't need them the 2 times I've changed it.

zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
I'm not liking that part about the filter housing cap being composite & likely easy to crack when tightening. Another case of going cheap to save a few cents? I would think metal would have been a better way to go. No?
meh? Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Wish there were more lighter weight materials in this porky girl.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #18
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
It's better to use the composite cap and break it, than to use a metal cap, and have to replace the housing when it strips out. I was cautious of this as well, but it seems pretty well designed. It's not like the old composites of even 10 years ago, the OEMs have gotten pretty good at getting these right. If you're worried about it, get a cheap torque wrench to be safe. I do love the filter setup, even that the filter snaps into the cap for easy install! My buddy just got a 2014 Acadia, and it took us a while to find the filter crammed in front of the engine. He was jealous when he saw how easy the GCs is, lol.

As far as the OP asked about ramps, I can actually crawl under pretty easy if I just lay cardboard down. A creeper takes up too much room. Ramps shouldn't hurt anything, I'm just saying I didn't need them the 2 times I've changed it.

OK, thanks. I haven't done my own oil changes for quite some time now & thought I was done with that. I had a Highlander before this & for the $25 the dealer charged, figured it was worth it to have them do it. But since Jeep makes it easy with the filter location, I don't have a problem doing it again.
I took the Jeep in last week for the first oil change & that was only $29.95, which I thought was also pretty reasonable. I think I want to start using synthetic for the first time, so I'll do the next one when the time comes.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
OK, thanks. I haven't done my own oil changes for quite some time now & thought I was done with that. I had a Highlander before this & for the $25 the dealer charged, figured it was worth it to have them do it. But since Jeep makes it easy with the filter location, I don't have a problem doing it again.
I took the Jeep in last week for the first oil change & that was only $29.95, which I thought was also pretty reasonable. I think I want to start using synthetic for the first time, so I'll do the next one when the time comes.
Yeah, I wanted to do my own for the same reason. For the cost of a regular change, I can get a deal at Advance Auto, and put synthetic in by myself. Right now, they only offer our filter from one brand (Purolator, I think), so you may have issues on the "Buy 'this brand' oil and get a free 'this brand' oil filter, for 'this price'!" But if you push them on it, they'll let you get the deal on the sale special oil with the proper filter. At least they do around here.

Also, I don't trust dealers. Like someone else said, they give that job to the noobs and the guys they don't trust with the hard stuff.
Just make sure you document your changes, and save your receipts. If there's an engine issue, they may try to fight you on the warranty. They're d!cks like that.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
Dabitz

Anyone using Royal Purple?
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #21
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Never

will I ever use Royal Purple or Amsoil. Too many issues at rebuild time. I take Mobil 1 over Royal Purple. Castrol's better synthetics are another option. If you can afford it Redline is best and is far superior to Royal Purple.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #22
Dabitz

I thought Redline was for turbo only? I have the V6.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Not just turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
I thought Redline was for turbo only? I have the V6.
Have used Redline motor oils in everything from a M20 BMW I6 Sohc to a Porsche 935 twin turbo. Also used their oils in a Formula Ford 1600 engine and the old Renault for Spec Racer. I have friends who use it in various years of M3s and all years of vintage air cooled 911s. Their gear oils and trannie fluids are also some of the best products out there. If I towed I would use their Water Wetter.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.