2011 wk2 - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 wk2

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #46
volvite
1999 WJ 

Looks great.

volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:25 AM   #47
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

How hard was it to get the air dam on/off. I have heard conflicting reports, any tips?
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #48
DirtyTires
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwest View Post
Hmmmmm

Guess I'll pull the controller apart and go by the electrical supply and get some longer cables before the install. I'm not a fan of having the box in the grill. Would rather have it up in the engine bay. Thank you again for the insight.

By the way, any idea on the part number or where I can easily grab some more of those plastic rivets?

Also, What size winch is that?

Sent from my S-III using JeepForum
Yeah you will need more cable if you are going to put the controller elsewhere. The winch was the standard 10K that RR sells with the kit, they also mention you cannot mount the controller upside down. I like it in the grill, so I don't have to open the hood to get the hand control plugged in.

For the rivets you can save most of them if you are careful, but you will need at least 4. Nothing critical that you couldn't drive it a short ways though. I went to the auto store, realized I didn't have my glasses and bought 1/4 inch, any style will do, they worked out fine. There are some that come with the kit, but I couldn't figure them out.
2011 Laredo X 4x4, ORA 1, Quad Trac II 4WD, Wild Country XTX Sport 265/70/17, American Racing ATX series AX188 Ledge, RRO 2.5 lift, PIAA 510 & 520 ATP Aux lights, Yakima roof rack, Mopar rock rails, dealer OEM hitch, RR winch mount and brush bar, Smitty 10K winch, RR pre-runner skid plate, slightly de-chromed.
DirtyTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #49
DirtyTires
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
How hard was it to get the air dam on/off. I have heard conflicting reports, any tips?
It is kind of hard to pull off, and I haven't put it back on but I wouldn't be scared of doing it. First unscrew the 5 caps (three on the bottom and two near the fog lights), then work from one side and pull forward. You may have to pull pretty hard so I wouldn't want to do it if it was very cold, it seems to me the plastic snaps may break.

2011 Laredo X 4x4, ORA 1, Quad Trac II 4WD, Wild Country XTX Sport 265/70/17, American Racing ATX series AX188 Ledge, RRO 2.5 lift, PIAA 510 & 520 ATP Aux lights, Yakima roof rack, Mopar rock rails, dealer OEM hitch, RR winch mount and brush bar, Smitty 10K winch, RR pre-runner skid plate, slightly de-chromed.
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #50
txwest
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyTires View Post

Yeah you will need more cable if you are going to put the controller elsewhere. The winch was the standard 10K that RR sells with the kit, they also mention you cannot mount the controller upside down. I like it in the grill, so I don't have to open the hood to get the hand control plugged in.

For the rivets you can save most of them if you are careful, but you will need at least 4. Nothing critical that you couldn't drive it a short ways though. I went to the auto store, realized I didn't have my glasses and bought 1/4 inch, any style will do, they worked out fine. There are some that come with the kit, but I couldn't figure them out.
Ok.
Again, thank you for answering my 20 questions. Jackal01 and I will be tackling it together so surely we can figure most of it out.

I was pondering switching the short cable from solenoid-to-motor and the long cable from solenoid-to-battery. That would get me inside the hood, but would need to extend the small wires also. I will probably just have all the wires re-made and a size larger since they will be traveling farther, except the black ground from the winch.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #51
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:

Ok.
Again, thank you for answering my 20 questions. Jackal01 and I will be tackling it together so surely we can figure most of it out.

I was pondering switching the short cable from solenoid-to-motor and the long cable from solenoid-to-battery. That would get me inside the hood, but would need to extend the small wires also. I will probably just have all the wires re-made and a size larger since they will be traveling farther, except the black ground from the winch.

I think we will be good. We are both pretty smart fellers.

Sent from my underground lair.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #52
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

air dam/ skid

Have you been up to hwy speed yet? I heard with the air dam off the wheel wheels )felt like material) can blow back into the front tires--did RRO acct for that with the prerunner skid?
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #53
DirtyTires
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
I think we will be good. We are both pretty smart fellers.

Sent from my underground lair.
If I can do it, you guys will have no problem!
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #54
DirtyTires
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
Have you been up to hwy speed yet? I heard with the air dam off the wheel wheels )felt like material) can blow back into the front tires--did RRO acct for that with the prerunner skid?
I did get it on the highway this afternoon real quick, and I don't think the felt was back in the tires. They do mention to trim it or zip tie it up; I believe I will be trimming it back quite a bit. Possibly tomorrow if it's not raining too hard.

Edit- they also said they used black spray paint on things like the windshield washer reservoir to give it a finished look. I haven't done that either, but I kept the splash guards on so that hides some of it.
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #55
txwest
2012 WK 

Ok...one last question...

I saw in the instructions that there are three holes to be drilled into the mount/crossmember. I don't have an issue doing it, I just believed from the other install descriptions that it was truely a "bolt-in" replacement. Did you have any trouble with these additional holes? I know that one of them is self-tapping. Just wondering if it was difficult to get the nuts on the back of them because it looks like they are in an odd location.

Thanks again!
-Nate

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #56
DirtyTires
2011 WK 

Quote:
Ok...one last question...

I saw in the instructions that there are three holes to be drilled into the mount/crossmember. I don't have an issue doing it, I just believed from the other install descriptions that it was truely a "bolt-in" replacement. Did you have any trouble with these additional holes? I know that one of them is self-tapping. Just wondering if it was difficult to get the nuts on the back of them because it looks like they are in an odd location.

Thanks again!
-Nate

Ha I'm a Nate too! Anyway I had no problems drilling the holes, and I have a crappy drill. You will need the specific size drills they recommend, I believe a 1/2, 3/8 and 5/16. Plus if you are doing the brush guard a 1". My tip for you is to put the bolts and nuts/washers together first, because I put the wrong ones on and had to re-do that step. Looking at everything first and organizing all the parts would have helped me save some time!

Reaching the back side was easy enough, I think I used a second ratchet to hold the bolt. If you have some wrenches you may want to have them handy.

Make sure to post some pics of your rig!
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #57
txwest
2012 WK 

Quote:

Ha I'm a Nate too! Anyway I had no problems drilling the holes, and I have a crappy drill. You will need the specific size drills they recommend, I believe a 1/2, 3/8 and 5/16. Plus if you are doing the brush guard a 1". My tip for you is to put the bolts and nuts/washers together first, because I put the wrong ones on and had to re-do that step. Looking at everything first and organizing all the parts would have helped me save some time!

Reaching the back side was easy enough, I think I used a second ratchet to hold the bolt. If you have some wrenches you may want to have them handy.

Make sure to post some pics of your rig!
Haha!
Thanks again!
There will be plenty of pictures and I will make sure and have a detailed build thread.

By the way, I found a local Jeep off-road shop that will terminate my longer battery cables so I can relocate the solenoid. I will be adding some insight on where it can be placed under the hood, along with relocating the control switch plug-in as it has a handy disconnect inside the box that will make it easier to extend the weather-resistant plug.

Edit: Anybody who has an idea of where to place the solenoid, or a good spot for the controller plug feel free to add a picture and explain. Thanks!

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #58
JMP8562

Quote:
I did get it on the highway this afternoon real quick, and I don't think the felt was back in the tires. They do mention to trim it or zip tie it up; I believe I will be trimming it back quite a bit. Possibly tomorrow if it's not raining too hard.

Edit- they also said they used black spray paint on things like the windshield washer reservoir to give it a finished look. I haven't done that either, but I kept the splash guards on so that hides some of it.
Shot you a PM reguarding the Lower air dam
89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #59
DirtyTires
2011 WK 

FINALLY got some time without a rainstorm to clean it up and snap a few pics with something other than a camera phone. I think I'm done modding for a while, heh, but I am going to do some touch up here & there.

Unread 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #60
volvite
1999 WJ 

The Jeep looks great.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.