2011 remote start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 remote start

Free shipping on Rugged Ridge XHD bumpersBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
jeepability

2011 remote start

2011 limited 4x4. Remote start doesn't stay on longer than 10 sec. Ive already read about some. Mine doesn't give me any reasons why it does it. I reset it and get out and it will work. But I leave it alone for 5 min and it will get disabled. The dealer just gives me the run around and I'm tired of it. I want this working. Anybody have a fix for this? Also I can't remember my password so I made a new account. I'm evanjeep

jeepability is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Engine running for only 10 seconds typically means it detected a fault or fuel is low, but you should get an abort message. I dunno what the failure modes are. I think you can remote start twice, then have to cycle the ignition.
Unread 02-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
jeepability

It will only start once and say disabled. Fuel is full no codes no lights on dash. How can I tell what's going on? I can reset it and get out and try again and it will work but that beats the point
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

All of the following conditions must be met before the engine will remote start:
• Shift lever in PARK
• Doors closed
• Hood closed
• Liftgate/Flipper Glass closed
• Hazard switch off
• Brake switch inactive (brake pedal not pressed)
• Ignition key removed from ignition switch
• Battery at an acceptable charge level
• RKE PANIC button not pressed

The following messages will display in the EVIC if the vehicle fails to remote start or exits remote start prematurely:

• Remote Start Aborted — Door Ajar
• Remote Start Aborted — Hood Ajar
• Remote Start Aborted — Fuel Low
• Remote Start Aborted — System Fault
• Remote Start Disabled — Start Vehicle to Reset

So you don't see any of these messages? it wouldn't be a light on the dash, just a text message in the center (EVIC)
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
jeepability

After it shuts off this comes up. Remote start disabled start to reset. Everything that you checked off is good
Unread 02-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Does the same thing with both FOBs?

Just double checking... So after a reset, when you press the remote start button twice within 5 seconds, the parking lights flash and horn beeps, the engine starts and runs for 10 seconds or does the engine just not start? If it starts, is the engine stalling? Are there any "drivability" problems?

The remote start system will automatically be cancelled if any of the following occur:

• IF THE ENGINE STALLS OR RPM EXCEEDS 2500
• NORMAL TIME OUT RUN MODE (15 MINUTES)
• CUSTOMER MOVES IGNITION INTO RUN/START
• ANY VEHICLE DOOR AJAR
• TRUNK/LIFTGATE AJAR
• HOOD AJAR
• START COUNTER REACHED
• LOW RPM SHUTDOWN
• KEY IN IGNITION
• BRAKE PRESSED
• THE HAZARD SWITCH IS PRESSED
• NOT IN PARK OR NEUTRAL
• VEHICLE SPEED HIGH
• VTA ALARM TRIGGERED
• PANIC MODE ACTIVATED
• BATTERY VOLTAGE HIGH
• BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW
• LOSS OF BATTERY VOLTAGE
• MIL ON
• LOW OIL PRESSURE
• COOLANT TEMPERATURE HIGH
• CRANK NO START
• RKE OFF MESSAGE
• VEHICLE NOT CONFIGURED
• HOOD SWITCH NOT INSTALLED OR INOPERATIVE
• NO AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
• INVALID KEY
• IGNITION SNA
• IGNITION NOT IN LOCK
• VEHICLE IN SHIPPING MODE
• VEHICLE NOT PROGRAMMED

The reason the remote start was cancelled and then inhibited is stored in the TIPM and the dealer should be able read the status with his DTC. Did they mention what was inhibiting the start? The FSM says to replace the TIPM if the condition can't be explained by any of the above. I don't have first hand experience, just reading from the FSM.

By the way, when the system cancels the remote start for some reason, it must be reset as you have noticed. So that part seems to be normal, just have to figure out whats canceling the remote start.
Unread 02-14-2015, 04:49 AM   #7
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

I accidentally pushed the panic button on mine couple days ago and yes, remote would not work. I started manually and drove. After that drive remote started o.k.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
jeepability

I only have one fob. Like in the morning if I wanna warm it up it beeps twice cranks runs for 10 sec then shuts down. I have to manually reset it. Then I turn it off get out and try again. Cranks and runs and doesn't shut off. It only let's me crank it one time not two
Unread 02-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #9
jeepability

When I was at the dealer they said they fixed it so I went to get it first thing I did was try it and it disabled. So I got him and and he reset it. Got out and it worked like it does with me
Unread 02-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
jeepability

Doesn't make since that it works when I reset it
Unread 02-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Seems like the second time you remote start (after a reset) it runs only 10 seconds. Perhaps makes some sense that you have to reset before it will start again if the start counter is over its limit... but doesn't explain why its only running 10 seconds on the second start and shutting off. Don't have anything to add.... except perhaps get in the habit of reseting every time you shut down.. or do a normal start between remote starts...

I don't normally remote start, so I dunno if its is suppose to allow you to remote start twice in a row, without a regular start in between... the manual seems to say so.
Unread 02-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
jeepability

If I remote start it will only run 10 sec and shut dow . Try 1. It won't let let me do another till I reset the ignition. But when I do reset it from there and get out and retry it. It works like it should
Unread 02-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
46er
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I don't normally remote start, so I dunno if its is suppose to allow you to remote start twice in a row, without a regular start in between... the manual seems to say so.
2 times with a 15 min run time each, then have to recycle.
Unread 02-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #14
DRKRED12

If the dealer supposedly fixed it woudn't you just take it back to the dealer?
DRKRED12 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #15
jeepability

Its been back twice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.