2011 Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II in 2011 WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II in 2011 WK

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
MMACrypt

2011 Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II in 2011 WK

I posted the in the "Jeep Buying Forum" but somebody recommended I post it here instead so here it is. First off, I really don't know what I'm talking about with these newer jeeps. I had a 51 M-38 Willy's that was locked in the rear and my true understand doesn't go much past that. I knew darn near everything bout the 51 but a couple of things have changed since then.

Hey guys, first post and I think it's in the right area. First off we have a 2004 Jeep GC Limited with the QT II system. Been really happy with it, we live in Colorado and the Jeep has been pushed a bit. We do a little bit of off-roading, wouldn't call it rock climbing or anything but we get out there some.

We are getting close to getting a 2011 JGC as we have about 110K on the 04. We "were" going to upgrade to the QD II system since it's "better" than the QT-II. However, I think most of those claims are based on up to the 2010 model. They have changed the 2011 QD-II system and removed the front ELSD from it. So, would people still feel the 2011 QD-II without a front ELSD is that much better than the QT-II system??? I know it was in 2010 but now I have my doubts.

Thanks guys for any input.
Brian

MMACrypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
MRK
2000 WJ 

Your 2004 Quadra-Trac 2 is 2 wheel drive and the 2011 Quadra-Drive 2 is 3 wheel drive, so its an improvement, but the the 2000-2004 Quadra-Drive and 2005-2010 Quadra-Drive 2 are 4 wheel drive and superior in number of driving wheels. Maybe the experts can comment on each systems other features. See
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm for more info.
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Marcus86GLHS

QTII is two-wheel drive? no it isnt. its 4WD. all of the Jeep GC 4WD systems have the ability to drive any of the 4 wheels depending on conditions.

I was in 30+ inches of unplowed snow last week and myt QTII system drove all 4 wheels, not all at the same time but it did drive every wheel.

Observers noticed that both rear tires were engaged at the same time at several points.

yeah i still got stuck but its got the original street tires and afterall the snow was up to almost the headlites.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
MRK
2000 WJ 

Are you saying QT2 has Vari-Lok front and rear? And do you have a 2008 with Quadra-Drive has show or an older model with QT2? All Jeep GC dont have 4WD. You need to do a little research.
Unread 02-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
PWGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRK View Post
Are you saying QT2 has Vari-Lok front and rear? And do you have a 2008 with Quadra-Drive has show or an older model with QT2? All Jeep GC dont have 4WD. You need to do a little research.
Vari-Lok would be one technology for routing torque to the higher traction side of the axle. With Quadra-Trac II the same thing is accomplished with traction control braking. Some people may think it is inferior in some respects, but it does in fact work. In four-wheel drive low the transfer case is locked front to rear and the higher traction wheel on each axle will get the power; four-wheel drive.
PWGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
MRK
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGuy View Post
Vari-Lok would be one technology for routing torque to the higher traction side of the axle. With Quadra-Trac II the same thing is accomplished with traction control braking. Some people may think it is inferior in some respects, but it does in fact work. In four-wheel drive low the transfer case is locked front to rear and the higher traction wheel on each axle will get the power; four-wheel drive.
Inferior by quite a bit, because for me, 4 wheel drive means all four tires are fighting for traction at the same time. Critical in wet snow conditions.
Unread 02-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Marcus86GLHS

".......All Jeep GC dont have 4WD. You need to do a little research........"

i never said all GC's are 4WD, there are true 2WD (ie: rear wheel drive only) GC's of course. Or, maybe you would call these 1 wheel drive GC's?

What I said was all of the GC 4WD SYSTEMS have the capability of driving any of the 4 wheels. and they do.

when you have a vehicle that can drive all 4 wheels, whether it is simultaneously or not, those are classified as four wheel drive vehicles. not just for Jeeps, for any vehicle.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
MRK
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
".......All Jeep GC dont have 4WD. You need to do a little research........"

i never said all GC's are 4WD, there are true 2WD (ie: rear wheel drive only) GC's of course. Or, maybe you would call these 1 wheel drive GC's?

What I said was all of the GC 4WD SYSTEMS have the capability of driving any of the 4 wheels. and they do.

when you have a vehicle that can drive all 4 wheels, whether it is simultaneously or not, those are classified as four wheel drive vehicles. not just for Jeeps, for any vehicle.
A GC 4x4 with Selc-Trac has 1 wheel drive in the rear by default unless you order the rear Trak-Lok limited slip diff option. So without Trac-Lok, your a 3 wheel at best, but its actually 2 wheel drive. Since most GC are dealer lot cars, there are many 2 wheel GCs out there.
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
MMACrypt

My limited understanding was that on QT systems, it pushes power to the spinning wheel while on QD systems it pushes power to the wheel with traction. As far as 1 being 2WD versus 4WD, I think that's more just a opinion on how you want to define 4WD rides. When I had my 51 willys with a locked rear end, I called it a 3WD just to be cute.

But my question is more on the 2011 QDII system versus the 2010 QDII, if they removed the ELSD from the front drive, how is the front being controlled. It is now just a QT system in the front and a QD system in the back??
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
MMACrypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRK View Post
Your 2004 Quadra-Trac 2 is 2 wheel drive and the 2011 Quadra-Drive 2 is 3 wheel drive, so its an improvement, but the the 2000-2004 Quadra-Drive and 2005-2010 Quadra-Drive 2 are 4 wheel drive and superior in number of driving wheels. Maybe the experts can comment on each systems other features. See
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm for more info.
And thanks for the link Mike but that doesn't really cover the 2011's what just have an ELSD in the back of the QDII system.
Unread 02-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
MRK
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMACrypt View Post
My limited understanding was that on QT systems, it pushes power to the spinning wheel while on QD systems it pushes power to the wheel with traction. As far as 1 being 2WD versus 4WD, I think that's more just a opinion on how you want to define 4WD rides. When I had my 51 willys with a locked rear end, I called it a 3WD just to be cute.

But my question is more on the 2011 QDII system versus the 2010 QDII, if they removed the ELSD from the front drive, how is the front being controlled. It is now just a QT system in the front and a QD system in the back??
2010 is Vari-Lok diff front and rear (4WD). The 2011 is Vari-Lok diff in the rear only (3WD) and a different maufactuer.
Unread 02-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
butzer
2014 WK 

quadra trac is like all wheel drive, there are no locking differentials unless you get that option in the rear only.... then i guess it's 3 wheel drive. it uses electronic braking of some sort to control wheel slippage.

the quadra drive can put all of the power to 1 wheel that HAS traction because of the locking differentials via clutch pack i believe.
butzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
WK2011
2011 WK 

This may help you understand the 2011 JEEP GC 4 wheel drive systems (see link below). I think you are comparing the old mechanical systems to the computer controlled 4 wheel drive systems of today. Jeep engineers felt that due to the JGC QTII computer controlled system there isn't a need for ELSD in the front axle. All Quadra-Drives have the Quadra-Trac II transfer case the only difference is the ELSD's ability to lock the rear axle when the computer feels there is a need. When you are talking one, two or three wheel drive you’re a talking about the old mechanical systems. Prior to 1980 the EPA (EPA stopped it due to the gas crunch) allowed the true 4WD system of full time 4WD which was both rear wheels and the right front pulling all the time. When you put it in LOCK it would LOCK the left front wheel in and the front and rear axles would turn at the same speed. Today, 35 years later the 4WD and AWD are much more advanced (and fuel saving) and are always sensing the vehicles wheel slippage and apply brakes to the spinning wheels and power to the non-spinning wheels etc...And in the sense is supposed to be much better so the engineers say and I agree for most ALL on road situations. QDII is better than QTII as already mentioned the rear ELSD.

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/
WK2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
MRK
2000 WJ 

Heres some more info from Offroaders.com
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limit...ferentials.htm

Partial Quote: "When a wheel in the front AND a wheel in the back are allowed to spin free due to the Open Differentials, that 4x4 is essentially a 2 wheel drive vehicle. One front wheel, and one back wheel. This is where other types of differentials will make drastic improvements to traction."

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.