Is the 2011 Quadra Drive 2 a 3 wheel or 4 wheel drive system? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Is the 2011 Quadra Drive 2 a 3 wheel or 4 wheel drive system?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 01-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
MRK
2000 WJ 

Wk Is the 2011 Quadra Drive 2 a 3 wheel or 4 wheel drive system?

1. Is the Quadra-Trac 1, Quadra-Trac 2 and Quadra Drive 2 for 2011 the same as the 2005-2010 systems?
2. Is the Quadra-Drive 2 electronic limited slip in the REAR ONLY or FRONT AND REAR. Jeeps website states both axles in one area and rear in another. I get different answers from three different dealers in my area.
Mike

MRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
ordually
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRK View Post
1. Is the Quadra-Trac 1, Quadra-Trac 2 and Quadra Drive 2 for 2011 the same as the 2005-2010 systems?
They aren't the same and the axles aren't the same. See this site for some details on the WK2:

http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tcases.htm

Unfortunately I haven't found anything conclusive on the axles, but it was mentioned in another thread that they are now sourced from ZF, not internal Chrylser "corporate" axles.

Quote:
2. Is the Quadra-Drive 2 electronic limited slip in the REAR ONLY or FRONT AND REAR. Jeeps website states both axles in one area and rear in another. I get different answers from three different dealers in my area.
Mike
It only has the rear ELSD, no front. It's my suspicion that the reason is they didn't have time to develop ELSD for both new ZF axles. You can read more details on it over at allpar's page on it:

Quote:
Quadra Drive II has a rear (and rumored front in the future) Electronic Limited-Slip Differential which detects tire slip and sends torque to tires with traction. As with Quadra Tac II, in some cases, the Jeep will anticipate low traction and proactively limit or eliminate slip.
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
MRK
2000 WJ 

Thanks for the info and links. Much appreciated.
MRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

Looks like you got what you want!! but i must bring this to question why do you ask? are you looking at buying one?
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
MRK
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcginnis87 View Post
Looks like you got what you want!! but i must bring this to question why do you ask? are you looking at buying one?
I have a 2000 GC 6 cylinder Selec-Trac with 3 wheel drive thats used for mild snow, sand (relatively flat, but soft at the beach) and towing. Awesome vehicle, plus its never broken down and only needed a battery, tires, front rotors/pads, water pump and rear pads with 11 years and 88K miles. Only downside is poor gas mileage bad for the wallet and the environment.

I want a 2011 GC and Im ready to order but cant get what I want. I want a Mineral Gray Overland with V6 engine, Quadra Drive 2 and 20" wheels. I dont want the brown trim and the ugly steering wheel that feels awful when driving. And Im disappointed that the Quadra Drive 2 is 3 wheel drive. 11 years later I was hoping for a 4 wheel drive system.
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

Well it may not have a LSD in front but it will perform just the same i would think. But i guess i never known of a 3wheel drive system? But if you just want something new go for a WK like mine i have QD2 and it rocks... you can get them pretty cheep
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
WK2011
2011 WK 

This is the best 4Wd drive system you can get today. That puts power to ALL 4 wheels. Watch the video it breaks her down "barney style".

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_syste...uadra_drive_2/
WK2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

Wait a minute here. What do you mean that the SelecTrac is "3 wheel drive"? Esplain Nao! I have a 04 GC with that transfer case. It BETTER be 4 wheel drive when its engaged!
KDOG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
RageOfFury
2011 WK 

I'm pretty sure selec-trac is "4-wheel drive" and not 3 wheel. When I have it in Full Time and I spin in the snow, all 4 wheels spins.
RageOfFury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:50 AM   #10
WK2011
2011 WK 

Wk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfFury View Post
I'm pretty sure selec-trac is "4-wheel drive" and not 3 wheel. When I have it in Full Time and I spin in the snow, all 4 wheels spins.
This is correct but its not "mechanical" like the good old days it's computer controled and if the computer makes the right call all four wheels will spin. In mechanical four wheel (no computer) guaranteed all our wheels spin until something breaks. 1979 was the last (no thanks to the EPA) for civilian vehicles. The Military HMMWV's are like the 1979 'Full Time" four wheel drive where all fours are engaged when you move the manual lever to "lock" no computers involved just straight mechanical.

Your Slect Trac (I had one in my '99 Grand Cherokee Laredo) engages all four wheels but the computer tells it when to do so (after you put the lever in), it also allows the inside wheels (while going around a turn) to slip at a different speed (they put the lever in to help save gas). Where the HMMWV's do not therefore they are only for off road use so the soft ground allows the inside wheels to slip. The WK2's with Quadra-trac and Quadra-drive are as good as your "Slect trac" if not better due to the computer. I believe the best of today thats why own one.
WK2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
mc22958
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRK View Post
I have a 2000 GC 6 cylinder Selec-Trac with 3 wheel drive thats used for mild snow, sand (relatively flat, but soft at the beach) and towing. Awesome vehicle, plus its never broken down and only needed a battery, tires, front rotors/pads, water pump and rear pads with 11 years and 88K miles. Only downside is poor gas mileage bad for the wallet and the environment.

I want a 2011 GC and Im ready to order but cant get what I want. I want a Mineral Gray Overland with V6 engine, Quadra Drive 2 and 20" wheels. I dont want the brown trim and the ugly steering wheel that feels awful when driving. And Im disappointed that the Quadra Drive 2 is 3 wheel drive. 11 years later I was hoping for a 4 wheel drive system.
Unless you are going to do heavy rock crawling the new system set up is very impressive. With the traction control you do not need a front locker. Once you learn how to drive the system you will realize how awesome it is. The ride height control is great. I worry about the reliability of the system but have played with mine and it is a blast. In the Overland 4wd I believe the Qtrack2 is standard, at least on mine it was.
Discovery 4.6
mc22958 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
boldd

Quadra-Drive II is standard on the Overland V8 in Canada.
boldd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
MRK
2000 WJ 

Brake Traction Control is useful for slow speed rough terrain and not useful for typical snow, sand and mud. See link that explains this direct from chrysler engineers. ttp://blog.chryslerllc.com/blog.do?p=entry&id=270

Partial quote from website: "There are times when controlling how fast the wheels spin may not be desirable for driving conditions such as mud or deep snow. In this case, pushing the ESC button once (in 4wd high range) will disable the brake and engine portions of traction control that control how fast the wheels are allowed to spin but leaves BLD on. In 4wd low range, only BLD functions so there is no need to turn off traction control. Just to get this out of the way; from the Jeep perspective, BLD is not a substitute for locking differentials. It is a means to greatly expand the off road capability of vehicles that were not purchased with or do not offer locking differentials."
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
MRK
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc22958 View Post
Unless you are going to do heavy rock crawling the new system set up is very impressive. With the traction control you do not need a front locker.
I assume you mean the system ISNT impressive as the systems advantage is for rock crawling.
Jeep survey states only 10% of owners go off road and only a certain percentage of those do rock crawling. So, for the rest of us, the system is meaningless.
Unread 02-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
MRK
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG2008 View Post
Wait a minute here. What do you mean that the SelecTrac is "3 wheel drive"? Esplain Nao! I have a 04 GC with that transfer case. It BETTER be 4 wheel drive when its engaged!
Did you order your GC with a Trac-Lok rear? If not - 2 WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfFury View Post
You probably have Quadra Drive 2 with limited slip in front and rear diffs - 4 Wheel Drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.