2011 Overland HEMI - Trade or Keep - Options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 Overland HEMI - Trade or Keep - Options

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 06-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

2011 Overland HEMI - Trade or Keep - Options

My wife has a 2011 Overland HEMI with just under 50k miles on it. We bought it new in December of 2010.

It has been dealer maintained for all oil changes and tire rotations. I changed the plugs out at 30k miles and put tires on it 9k miles ago (same ones that came on it). All service is up to date by the book.

Never had any issues with the GC since new - it's been a great vehicle.

I got an email from Chrysler about an extended warranty and it got me thinking.

The Added Care Plus plan will extend the warranty 4yr/48k mi and they are 'asking' $2200. They even offer to spread it out interest free for 24 months which makes it $84/mo. It is transferable and refundable (prorated).

Options:
-Keep it and pay for anything that goes Tango Uniform while having the 5yr/100k powertrain warranty still in place.

-Keep it and get the warranty

-Trade it on a '14 JGC or something else entirely that has a new warranty.

I have mad mechanical skills and can fix just about anything. But all of the electronic bull**** on that vehicle is beyond even an advance home mechanic.

Thoughts?

What have you guys with over 50k experienced with your WK2?

BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
DontLookDown
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've never had an issue where I was like "thank goodness I had that warranty". I would keep the WK2 for a little while and trade it whenever you are ready for a new vehicle. Keep that $2200 in YOUR pocket untill it's ether needed for a repair, or use it as a down payment on something else. You still have the powertrain warranty till 100,000 miles, so that $2200 warranty would not even be needed for a major driveline problem unless the vehicle is over 8 years old/ 100k. Chances are you will not have $2200 worth or problems with your overland.
DontLookDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

9 times out of 10 it is more economical to run your vehicle into the ground and then salvage it. If you are depending on the vehicle, however, and can't take the down time or possibility of being stranded... or want something new then a new vehicle makes some sense.... but those may be more subjective concerns. Air springs and control modules can get expensive to replace.... but in general extended warranties (it is really a service plan) is like insurance, doesn't make economical sense unless there is a catastrophe and the chances of that are slim. You should double check what the extended warranty covers, as they are not "bumper to bumper". You may find those expensive electrical repairs are not covered. You could probably get a better deal by shopping some of the on line dealers.
Unread 06-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
elarm1
2011 WK 

paid off?
InTunes by HemiFever
elarm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elarm1 View Post
paid off?
Close.

I found the exact same Chrysler Factory warranty online for $1700. It covers just about everything including all of the power, electrical, and luxury items.

Here is the contract.
https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/co.../addedcare.pdf
Unread 06-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Do note that the Mopar/Chrysler Extended Service Contracts (they are not a "warranty") "start", for the purposes of months/years and mileage, at the original in-service date. So to put an "additional 48K miles" on a vehicle that already has 50K miles on it, the contract will need to be at least the 100K miles version, etc.

As to your listed choices, what you feel most comfortable with is the right answer. Current generation JGC have some advantages over your MY11, but your MY11 is "known" to you and you obviously like it enough to be considering keeping it.
Unread 06-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA View Post
Do note that the Mopar/Chrysler Extended Service Contracts (they are not a "warranty") "start", for the purposes of months/years and mileage, at the original in-service date. So to put an "additional 48K miles" on a vehicle that already has 50K miles on it, the contract will need to be at least the 100K miles version, etc.

As to your listed choices, what you feel most comfortable with is the right answer. Current generation JGC have some advantages over your MY11, but your MY11 is "known" to you and you obviously like it enough to be considering keeping it.
Wife has had a Discovery II and two LR3's. She likes her JGC 'almost' as much as her LR3's which she says his her favorite of all.

We had planned on keeping it about 4 more years. I'd hate for the memory seats, climate control, a/c, or some other expensive item to go back in that time and it ends up costing more than the warranty.

Actually it is an 'extended' warranty.

Quote:
4 Years, 48,000 Miles
Coverage through 2018 or 97,860 miles
Term starts on plan purchase date
Vehicle inspection required
Unread 06-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeATL View Post

Actually it is an 'extended' warranty.
Nope. It's legally an extended service contract. They are different animals. The warranty still ends when it ends. Then the service contract kicks in to assist with covered items. (minus any deductible)

Here's a scrape of the actual language in my MaxCare contract:

mopar-contract.jpeg

Perhaps your dealer is offering you something different than the Mopar/Chrysler plans?
Unread 06-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

I decided to get the warranty. Calling on Monday.

BTW, the answer that would have been great to hear is "oh, you have 2011. If you haven't replaced your TIPM, get the warranty".
Unread 06-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
spinxt

If you trade prepare to bend over. I was just forced to trade my 11' Overland in due to new regulations at work. I lost big time on the trade. Good news it's over and I have a nice shiny black 2014 Limited to show for it.
spinxt is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

How close did you get to KBB or NADA on trade?
Unread 06-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
How close did you get to KBB or NADA on trade?
Almost a grand less of NADA. A little closer to KBB. The problem w my vehicle was high mileage. None of the dealers wanted to keep it so I was getting auction value.
spinxt is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #13
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

We're still deciding but leaning towards buying something else at this point. The reason is that my wife will always have a new vehicle every 3 to 4 years. She loves the GC and if this issue hadn't come up, she still be driving it.

Going to CarMax to see what they will give me before I do anything. Then I'll decide to trade or sell it. If I decide to sell it, I'm going to get the TIPM rebuilt so that it isn't an issue for the new owner. Also will have one tiny ding removed and a scratched wheel fixed.

She is looking at a Cadillac SRX or an Audi Q5. Both get much better mileage and we'll probably lease it.
Unread 06-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #14
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

The saga continues.

Audi Q5 lease rates are ridiculous. Cadillac SRX in the ballpark but I think we're going to stay with a WK2. Probably going to pick up a Black Overland tonight or Sunday. Then I'm going to fix the TIPM in the '11 Overland and sell it.

Stay tuned
Unread 06-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #15
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
If you trade prepare to bend over. I was just forced to trade my 11' Overland in due to new regulations at work. I lost big time on the trade. Good news it's over and I have a nice shiny black 2014 Limited to show for it.
Just curious, how did your place of work force you to buy a new vehicle? Do they reimburse for mileage or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeATL View Post
The saga continues.

Audi Q5 lease rates are ridiculous. Cadillac SRX in the ballpark but I think we're going to stay with a WK2. Probably going to pick up a Black Overland tonight or Sunday. Then I'm going to fix the TIPM in the '11 Overland and sell it.

Stay tuned
My wife wants a Q5. Can't swing the payments on my GC plus a Q5, so she'll have to wait a while. Good thing is that she is still happy with her 2010 Jetta
hemispin is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.