2011 JGC ltd. Stalling while braking! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 JGC ltd. Stalling while braking!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Deuce403
2014 WK 

2011 JGC ltd. Stalling while braking!

Hi All, I am new to this forum, and I am hoping someone can help me out.

In December 2012, I bought a brand new 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7L V8, 5 spd auto, 4x4, most of the bells and whistles included with this truck, minus tow package, pano roof. It has been an excellent vehicle to own, very smooth ride, power galore, and great options for the price.

Everything went great until I started having this stalling problem about a year into owning it. What happens is while I am driving, lets say around 80km/hr. (approx. 50/mph) and I start to brake, not lightly, lets say more assertively, my jeep has just decided to stall out at times. This takes away obviously the power steering, power brakes, and makes for one hell of an episode. This has happened around 10 times now! I have to shift it into neutral, turn the truck back on with the push start, and then back into "drive", all while trying to hold the wheel, brake and watch out for cars, traffic, pedestrians, abutments, curbs etc...

Luckily, there have never been cars behind me, nor in front of me, but while attempting to make a turn, while braking, the truck stalled on me the first time and I almost smashed into another car trying to make a turn from oncoming traffic.

I cannot let my wife drive this truck anymore, in case it happens to her, and my dogs are also in the truck with me everyday, twice a day.

It seems to only happen in the morning, once or twice in the afternoon after work, however I have remote start, and the truck is ALWAYS at full or darn close to full operating temps.

it has happened when the weather is between 5-10 Celsius, and 20 - 30 Celsius.

I have taken it to my local dealer in Calgary, AB, they put there top guy on it apparently when I told them of this dangerous issue, they said diagnosis was a simple computer reboot back to factory settings. I have never changed such "settings", I understand the computer makes adjustments as you go, but that seems a bit off.

Any who, after the reset of the computer, it didn't happen for a while, and then all of a sudden, two stalls in a matter of 5 days. This doesn't happen everyday, thank god, but it does happen often enough, that now I have to watch for other traffic, pedestrians, and my damn tachometer while driving. It is very distracting and dangerous.

If anyone has some knowledge of such a thing happening, or have experienced it themselves, please help me out! I am losing it here.

thanks for your time all.

Trevor.

Deuce403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
whenyergood
2011 WK 

2011 Overland Stalling

I am having the same issue with my 2011 Overland. It has 43,000 miles on it and it has randomly stalled ~10 times in the last couple months. Did you find a permanent solution to the problem?
whenyergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Deuce403
2014 WK 

Last time I brought it in they did the latest and greatest PCM flash and transmission flash, it has been their twice for this issue I have. It hasn't stalled since this last time it was flashed. Hopefully it stays this way. Should be free under warranty for you also.
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Deuce403
2014 WK 

I am still stalling out, the flash seems to have not helped this issue. The dealer has now hooked up a monitoring device, so when I stall out, I push the button on this device and it will record everything going on 45 seconds before the event and after the event. I have had two stalls on this monitor and it is going back to the dealership Wednesday when the electrical guy is back from holidays. Chrysler Canada engineering techs will also be looking at the data.

this is frustrating....
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
whenyergood
2011 WK 

2011 Overland Stalling

The dealer did the software update on mine last month. It is stalling out less frequently, only twice in over a month, but the problem has not been fixed. I took it to another dealer and they told me that if it doesn't stall out while they have it they cannot diagnose the problem. I'll have to ask if they can let me use a monitor like your dealer gave you. Please keep me posted on what you find out.
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Deuce403
2014 WK 

I guess I was lucky, the foreman at the dealership I go to managed to make it stall. I stalled again this morning which is three times now in the last week, and it should all be recorded on the monitor they gave me. I will keep you posted what they tell me. Truck is being brought in Wednesday, hopefully will have a diagnose by end of week. I would keep persistent with your dealer, this is not safe, and is very dangerous to be driving on the road with. You're lucky because you have a lemon law in the States, up here in Canada, we don't have such a thing, so fighting for them to take your car back almost turns into a civil law suit which I don't want to become involved in if I don't have to.
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Uintah
2002 WJ 

Have the battery checked. Because of all the electronics on new vehicles a weak battery can allow the engine to die during deceleration.

Doak
Uintah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
MiguelT678
2012 WK 

Hi guys,
I've had two stalls. My girlfriend dropped off the car at her dad's (who's my service manager) and I'll post as soon as I have any news.

Same thing, I have the HEMI.
MiguelT678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Deuce403
2014 WK 

Hey guys, as I read more through other posts and forums, I am pretty sure it is a TIPM issue, just like the other jeep's out there with similar electrical issues, whether it be stalling, not turning over, etc. etc. I have traded it in to the dealer and got a new car, so I won't be a help any longer, however before I did, the service shop re did all the electrical connections. That means cleaned them, re greased the ones which needed, new fuses, checked all relays and made sure nothing "shook" around to much. I still had stalls.

They then wanted to monitor the engine with a diagnostic scanner called a Wi-pod (wee-pod) or something. Believe it or not, while the tool was hooked up, the truck stalled four times on me. I pushed the button when I had a stall, so it could record that event, and off to the dealership I went. Low and behold, the dealer couldn't find anything because they didn't have the parameters set correctly on the wi-pod, and it "crashed". F&*K OFF!!! you F*CKIN F*CKS. They reset the parameters to record only certain criteria, and asked me to drive again. Well because this happens whenever the truck feels like it, I drove around with this device for about 2 weeks, and did not have another stall. pissed me off enough to work a deal with them and trade it in.

I ended up arguing enough with the dealer and Chrysler Canada, and got myself into a 14 summit. They took 8500 off the top of the price, traded in my old 11 Grand Cherokee limited for the cost of what it is going for on Autotrader roughly ($37,000), and credited over 50% of my extended warranty which wasn't used. Not exactly what I had in mind as an outcome, but am I ever glad I did it! the summit is AMAZING. can't describe it in words, I feel like I am driving a $150,000.00 rig. Hopefully this one doesn't end up being a lemon.

Hope you all find a solution to your stalling issues. I had to much wasted time trying to get them to figure it out, and also had my wife not wanting me to drive it any longer, so this was my option for dealing with it.
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
whenyergood
2011 WK 

Any new info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelT678 View Post
Hi guys,
I've had two stalls. My girlfriend dropped off the car at her dad's (who's my service manager) and I'll post as soon as I have any news.

Same thing, I have the HEMI.
Miguel, Were you able to get his issue addressed on your jeep?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.