2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Cargo Capacity Concerns - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Cargo Capacity Concerns

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 02-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Thrumcap

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Cargo Capacity Concerns

Is there some major difference between the way auto manufacturers measure cargo capacity? I love the new Grand Cherokee but according to Jeep's own specs, it has less cargo capacity than a Toyota RAV4 and about the same as a VW Jetta Wagon. Is this correct?

Thrumcap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Well it sure won't hold as much as our WJ, but it gets a good amount of stuff in when you put the back seats down. You probably can't fit a big sheet of OSB in it like the WJ can but its ample room for normal use. If you need more room just get one of those hitch carrier racks or a roof basket.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check again. There are 2 cargo dimensions, one is for with the rear seats up, and one with them down. Actually look inside the back. The trunk is huge.

Also, it is larger than a WJ according to Jeep; ~17% more cargo space.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Also, it is larger than a WJ according to Jeep; ~17% more cargo space.
Hmm, interesting, I think the door is smaller though, maybe that's why I'm thinking it feels smaller.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

I know that my WK has enough room, I know that jeep increased the space in the rear. What all do you need to fit in the back, if your always hauling stuff around I would say get a truck.
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
fleuger99
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumcap View Post
Is there some major difference between the way auto manufacturers measure cargo capacity? I love the new Grand Cherokee but according to Jeep's own specs, it has less cargo capacity than a Toyota RAV4 and about the same as a VW Jetta Wagon. Is this correct?
We have a 2010 Jetta TDI Wagon and the WK2 JGC is definitely bigger with the rear seats folded down. We have two greyhounds and they cannot fit comfortably in the Jetta together where as the JGC provides ample room for them to stretch out.
fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Thrumcap

Must be the manufacturers measure differently however I have seen similar comments from reviewers that the Grand Cherokee doesn't have as much cargo capacity as others in it's class.
Here are the numbers with seats up and down of some others in its class and also not in its class:
Jeep lists max cargo with seats up as 36.3 and down at 68.7.
Acura MDX- 43 up and 83.5 down
Ford Explorer- 43.8 up and 80.7 down
Toyota 4Runner- 46.3 up and 89.7 down
Toyota RAV4- 36.4 up and 73 down
VW Jetta Sport Wagon- 32.9 up and 66.9 down

Last edited by Thrumcap; 02-24-2011 at 07:03 AM..
Unread 02-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

ok yet back to my question, what all are you needing the room for?? and if its a lot all the time i would say skip all that and just get a truck or a large SUV
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
Thrumcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcginnis87 View Post
ok yet back to my question, what all are you needing the room for?? and if its a lot all the time i would say skip all that and just get a truck or a large SUV
Nothing special- just traveling with 2 kids and a dog with all the stuff that goes along with it. We have a BMW 535xi wagon now and there is not enough room in the back for the dog and all of our bags, etc.\
I don't want to get something huge if I don't have to but I also don't want to get something that still isn't big enough. A roof box would be one option for me. I'm also considering the new Explorer but I prefer the Jeep. It just seems hard to believe that a larger vehicle like the Jeep would have less room than a smaller compact SUV like a RAV4. Got me thinking maybe it is the way the manufacturers measure?
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
Richard338
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumcap View Post
Nothing special- just traveling with 2 kids and a dog with all the stuff that goes along with it. We have a BMW 535xi wagon now and there is not enough room in the back for the dog and all of our bags, etc.\
I don't want to get something huge if I don't have to but I also don't want to get something that still isn't big enough. A roof box would be one option for me. I'm also considering the new Explorer but I prefer the Jeep. It just seems hard to believe that a larger vehicle like the Jeep would have less room than a smaller compact SUV like a RAV4. Got me thinking maybe it is the way the manufacturers measure?
I know what you mean, but 90% of my time is spent with one or two people in the Jeep, so I have a roof rack and a bag that will work with the crossbars or the basket. I'm glad they didn't waste more space by squeezing in a useless 3rd row. It just depends on how often you need the space.
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

Yea its all about how much space you need, I have 2 dogs and my fiancée and when we travel we are always loaded up so I understand. But your right you can always get a roof box thing when you go places to save room
Unread 02-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
ecupip

Not to sway you from the Jeep, but it sounds like you need a larger car if you travel a lot. If it is a few times a year you can get by with roof boxes and hitch racks. If it is every weekend might want something bigger, just my suggestion.
ecupip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
BrendonR

My Dad's got a Rav4 - so I can tesify... there's ample room in the back (even with the seats up...)

Keep in mind the rear window of the Jeep - it angles in, towards the front. This will cut out some of the cargo capacity.

Current Mods: None

Currently accepting donations to remedy above.
BrendonR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That probably does hurt the numbers, but it doesn't accurately reflect the usable space. I had an oversized contractor bag stuffed full of clothes (these are larger than your average commercial can bags, these are the large ones used for landscaping) and my large international luggage in the back with these other things:

2x cases of 35x bottles of water each (total of 70 bottles of water)
8x Large bottles of Arnold Palmers
16x cans of soup
~24x articles of clothing on hangers
and a bunch of the little food items that just take up space all in the back without obstructing the view out of the rear windshield.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
mgreen03
2011 WK 

If you really want something similar to the Jeep with more cargo room, you may want to look at the new Durango. I believe that the back end is several inches longer. I'm not a big Durango fan, but the new ones do look better than the previous model.
mgreen03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.