2011 Hemi Cranks But Won't Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 Hemi Cranks But Won't Start

Save up to 10% Off on Rugged Ridge Exterior Accessories - Heavy Duty JK hinge kits ARE HERE !!!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
scowman

2011 Hemi Cranks But Won't Start

When car is cold, I push the start button and the car cranks but does not start. It seems to have very small ignition but does not fully catch. I push it again and it stops cranking. I push the button again and it starts.

It did this once or twice a couple of years ago but did not think much of it. Now it's doing it all the time.

I am mechanically inclined and can do everything including replacing the motor and transmission if I had to. I'm looking for places to start or known issues.

I'm thinking O2 sensor, tps sensor, some other fuel impacting sensor or ECU.

All thought are welcome.

Car is out of warranty.

Cheers,

Ken

scowman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Read this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...80/index2.html
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
scowman

After checking the Hemi Truck forum maybe a crank sensor going bad? Thoughts?
Unread 10-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
scowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post
Thanks! That's it. Now if I can get it fixed in the P54 recall...
Unread 10-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
GreatDaneLvr
2011 WK 

Yup, definitely sounds like the dreaded fuel relay in the TIPM. How many miles do you have on it??
Unread 10-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
Wavicle
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowman View Post
When car is cold, I push the start button and the car cranks but does not start. It seems to have very small ignition but does not fully catch. I push it again and it stops cranking. I push the button again and it starts.

It did this once or twice a couple of years ago but did not think much of it. Now it's doing it all the time.

I am mechanically inclined and can do everything including replacing the motor and transmission if I had to. I'm looking for places to start or known issues.

I'm thinking O2 sensor, tps sensor, some other fuel impacting sensor or ECU.

All thought are welcome.

Car is out of warranty.

Cheers,

Ken
My 2011 Overland started doing this in spring 2014. It was just turning 25K miles and I had all kinds of thoughts as to the source of the problem. Then I found this forum the day after I heard a snippet on the news about a recall. This is definitely part of the failed fuel pump relay and we should be seeing the [lame hack job] recall notice about October 24th.
Wavicle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
scowman

Recall Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavicle View Post
My 2011 Overland started doing this in spring 2014. It was just turning 25K miles and I had all kinds of thoughts as to the source of the problem. Then I found this forum the day after I heard a snippet on the news about a recall. This is definitely part of the failed fuel pump relay and we should be seeing the [lame hack job] recall notice about October 24th.
Here is a link to the DOT recall notice.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...4V530-5118.pdf

I called the Chrysler customer service number on it and was told the recall does not start until October 24, 2014 and if I want it fixed now I have to pay and seek reimbursement by faxing receipts to 877-768-5076 but ONLY AFTER the second recall notice is issued (no idea when that is).

So the recall has been announced but not started yet at the dealer. So if you go the dealer now you have to pay somewhere between $450-$550.

I called two dealers. The first didn't know about is (service manager level) but researched it and called me back saying $450-$550, no parts in stock, leave car 3-5 (working days) no loaner car.

Second dealer had another one, had no parts in stock, leave car 3-5 (working days) no loaner car. I made an appointment for next Tuesday with no guarantee they would get to it that day.

I had a similar problem with the air bag/passenger seat problem. They fixed it with a work around but it cost me about $500.

I had two previous Cherokees and they were bullet proof. These Mercedes Cherokees have too many expensive bugs and a very short warranty.

I may have to buy a Ford!!!!!!!! God that sucks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.