2011 Grand Cherokee starting problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 Grand Cherokee starting problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #16
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Update: My issue was the relay in the TIPM shorting out. It started 8 times back to back after being towed to the dealer. (Go figure.) Then it wouldn't turn over in their shop There is a TSB for a work around on the shorting relay. The relay parts are on back order for a week or two. Relatively cheap fix $ 289.00 including troubleshooting, parts, and install.

Could've been worse, I suppose!

2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #17
dom97
2011 WK 

Just had this same fix done by dealership here for hard to start problem. They said fuel pump intermittent and relay replaced, rewired and new harness installed.
dom97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
0627Devildog
2014 WK 

The company that JEEP has contracted for their TIPM's is in serious financial trouble. .. . They have made MANY faulty products for years, and MANY of the symptoms in this thread are evidence of this fact. All of the symptoms listed are related to TIPM issues. This is happening across multiple models. The dealers are giving BOGUS info due to the shortages of the modules, and they are putting band-aid's on a bullet hole IMHO. Jeep HQ hasn't issued a RECALL so if your Out of Warranty your Out of Luck in most cases. The dealership I brought mine too had it 5 times before they got it right. . . . I fell in love with this thing, but I am contemplating putting it up for sale QUICK considering the 3yr/36k (bul****) warranty is ending soon. I have had it in the shop almost as much as I have used it since taking ownership 15 months ago.
0627Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #19
suprtoy

2011 Jeep starter issue

Just got my Grand Cherokee back from dealer after having the starter replaced.
Try to start pushing start button and hear starter click. Started off only once and a while then got worse. Dealer updated TIPM , did not solve the problem so then checked the starter. $425 and 5 days later, new starter and back on road..
suprtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #20
RammerJammer77
2011 WK 

2011 JGC overland- won't start

Seems to be a common theme here. Have same exact issue with 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8. It's just every now and again currently but am preparing for the worst. Does anyone know how to determine whether it's exactly the starter or the TIPM or is this something that has to be done through the diagnostics? Currently the starter runs for about 10 seconds and after failure, stops with no ignition. Battery is obviously great. Just so dang frustrating and am trying to avoid the dealer as much as possible. Just went over 64k on the odometer and it's a daily driver.

Last edited by RammerJammer77; 08-05-2014 at 05:18 PM..
RammerJammer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #21
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm getting this issue. On a cold start in the morning, depress brake, push start button - it cranks for about 5 seconds until it times out. Sometimes it'll start the 2nd time, sometimes the 3rd time. It's yet to leave me stranded, but WTF. 60,000 miles, fresh off a SERV 4WD issue, and now this.

dont trade it in, dont trade it in, dont trade it in...
WKdeuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #22
Tortuqa
2011 WK 

I've had this exact problem too but it's so rare that I have not brought it up to the dealer yet. I'm glad to see that it was not only me.
Tortuqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
RobertRWR

Been having this same issue with my Overland. Have 32,000 miles.

Press the start button-- starter runs but engine does not catch. I stop it by pressing start button again. Try again and normally starts correctly. This has only happened a few times to date. Concerned I will be stranded one day when it does not start.
RobertRWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #24
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So this isn't covered by powertrain warranty. At 60,000 miles, the only solution my dealer offers is installing the $800+ replacement TPIM, plus hours.

I searched out the part numbers from this thread, can't find them online. I'm going forward fixing (read; hack job) this myself, as I work out details I'll try to update this thread. If it's just the fuel pump relay, I can't see it being that difficult of a fix.
Unread 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #25
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hur1ey02 View Post
Update: My issue was the relay in the TIPM shorting out. It started 8 times back to back after being towed to the dealer. (Go figure.) Then it wouldn't turn over in their shop There is a TSB for a work around on the shorting relay. The relay parts are on back order for a week or two. Relatively cheap fix $ 289.00 including troubleshooting, parts, and install.

Could've been worse, I suppose!
Any chance you could crack that bad boy open and get some pictures of the wires they spliced?
Unread 08-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #26
DRKRED12

There is also a repair service listed on Ebay for $269.00. Just type in Jeep Grand Cherokee TIPM. I beleive they repair Durangos also. Just another option so you don't get raped by the Dealer. Good luck with your repair.
DRKRED12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #27
RaceCarDave
2011 KL Cherokee 

Hey everyone, I have a 2011 5.7 Hemi Grand Cherokee and experienced the same issue....would go through the starting cycle but not turn over. I bought it new and it now has 46,000 miles on it. Based on what I've read on the forums, I was concerned that the Jeep dealership would play a guessing game and start changing parts (starter, fuel pump, expensive TIPM, etc.) because it seems as if the fix is all over the map. Similar to some of the other comments here, I talked to a strong tech that specialized in diagnostics and drive-ability issues and he told me that the FUEL PUMP RELAY is the problem and that simply pulling out the relay from the TIPM and replacing it will not resolve the issue. He stated that he would wire / splice in a new relay because apparently, that particular wiring and section of the TIPM is faulty. He also told me that many Jeep dealerships simply try and replace the entire TIPM which we all know is expensive. Bottom line, I had the fix done; I was charged $69.97 for the parts and two hours labor ($192.00) and I believe that this tech got it right and knew what he was talking about. One week later and many intentional starts and no problems whatsoever. Attached are several photos that show the external rfuel pump relay being spliced into the wiring harness and wired directly to the battery. Good luck to all that are having this problem!
img_0940-800x600-.jpg

img_0943-800x600-.jpg

img_0944-800x600-.jpg

img_0945-800x600-.jpg

img_0946-800x600-.jpg

RaceCarDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #28
JDinger

GC starting issue

Regarding the 'crank-no start' issue, I just experienced the same symptom and had my local shop successfully repair with the relay by-pass kit referenced. Total cost was $263.00 vs. the $1400-$1500 the dealership wanted to replace the TIPM. I strongly urge all to take your 2011-2012 GC to a competent local shop first. The better ones will be familiar with this fix and you'll save a lot of $$$!
JDinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #29
goinfaster
2011 WK 

Just had ours done with the relay fix. 63000 miles. Those having intermittent symptoms - it will get worse until it won't start at all. Don't get stranded.
goinfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #30
JoeDaddy1971

arspeedometer.com TIPM Fix?

Has anyone had luck with this fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABULUS View Post
Y'all might want to check out the "Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems" thread on the Edmunds.com forum.

I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo just 2,500 miles out of warranty and having the same hard-starting issues (I have to crank it 5 - 6+ times before it will start - and the last time I drove it almost stalled in traffic.) I took it to my dealer on October 16th, 2013 and they confirmed the cause is a faulty TIPM. They quoted me more than $1,300- parts & labor - AND- wanted a $500 deposit to order the part - but after 3 weeks they still had no idea how long it would take to get it. The folks at the parts counter said there were at least 800 on national backorder. Ouch.

So earlier in the Edmunds thread there was a suggestion about a shop in Tulsa Oklahoma that could fix the TIPM.

I called AR Speedometer in Tulsa, OK that morning at (918-640-0659) , spoke to Alan, and told him what was happening with my GC, and he seemed confident their repair would cure what ailed it.
He has a repair offer on EBAY with his address. The cost of the repair service was $269.00+$14.00 return shipping USPS. It cost me $28 to ship him my TIPM via UPS ground , packed as a computer part and insured for $500.
Total cost = $311.00 (about a thousand $ cheaper than a new one through my dealer)

This is my wife's daily driver and I really couldn't afford to wait until who knows when. So I carefully removed the TIPM by first disconnecting the negative battery lead under the passenger seat, then disconnecting the power lead in the TIPM itself, and labeling each wiring harness and corresponding socket before disconnecting the unit. It was easy enough, just be gentle. Most of them have lever catch that pivots to release the harness from the socket; one has a conventional slide-pin (red) that requires depressing with a small flat-head screwdriver to remove.

I had the repaired TIPM back in 6 days. Since it was the original part, I was able to re-install it without the "flash programming" from the dealer required for a new one.

I've had the unit in for two weeks now, and my Grand Cherokee is running fine - not even a hiccup - so I'm passing on my good experience to this forum as well.

Good luck and happy Thanksgiving y'all!
JoeDaddy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.