2011 Grand Cherokee starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 Grand Cherokee starting problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
tednbauer

2011 Grand Cherokee starting problem

Well my 2011 HEMI Overland GC has been in the shop a week. When the engine is COLD (not outside temp cold but just hasn't run for hours cold) it will take many tries to get it to start. When you press the start button it just cranks and cranks but won't start. After a ton of tries it will finally start.
Brought it to the shop a week ago. They said the fuel pump was bad. Changed it and I picked it up today. Started right up but 4 hours later when it was COLD again it started doing it again. Worse this time. After many tries it started then died. Took it back to the shop. On the way it stalled at a stop sign. Never did that before...
HELP...anyone have a clue. The dealer has no idea thus far. Can't reproduce it until the engine is cold again.

22000 miles by the way. No check engine light or error messages. The only way they believed me is I video'd it with my phone and showed them multiple videos of it doing it. HELP HELP...

tednbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
JGC11
2011 WK 

Check you starter... I had the same problem a while ago. They had to replace it and I haven't had a problem yet
JGC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
padgett
2012 WK 

On a Buick I would be looking at the fuel pump relay but since I have no access to a service manual (usual rant) I do not know if the GC even has one.

That said the first thing to do is to apply triage. If I were having that problem, first I would check all of the engine parameters using scan equipment to see if anything looked odd. Second I would inject about a 1/2 oz of gasoline directly into the manifold (don't have a Hemi, don't have a manual so cannot say how) and crank holding the throttle open a little.

If it fires then dies, you have a fuel problem. If it fires and keeps running, I'd look for a fuel pump relay. If nothing happens, I'd look at ignition.

For my non-CJF computer cars, there is a section in the FSM for "Cranks but does not run" with a set of steps to follow. I would be surprised if CJF didn't have a similar sequence.

One of these is a turbo diesel.
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
tednbauer

Thanks for the input. I don't see how it could be the starter. That's the only thing that's working.

The problem is that it will eventually start after 5 tries or so and after that it won't repeat until the engine is cold again. Sure that makes it hard to diagnose. To me it seems like the fuel pump isn't engaging. They changed that last week and now it's worse. I'm leaning toward something computer related. Here's a weirder thing. When it won't start I can use the remote start on the key fob and it cranks up right away. It's possessed. I will bet anything that they will call and say it's fixed and within a day or two it will do it again. I would swear that when I first got the jeep, when I pressed the start button I would hear the fuel pump kick on for a sec then it would engage the starter. I don't hear that anymore. Anyone out there with a Grand with Hemi, listen good and press your start button. Tell me if you hear anything b/4 the starter engages. thx.
Unread 11-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

When I press the start button, the engine turns over and it starts immediately. With the noise of the starter can't hear anything else. What happens when you press the start button without a foot on the brake? Do you hear the pump? You can try this experiment (insert ranting like padgett here as its just a guess), don't put your foot on the brake the first time you start, just let it cycle to the on position (gauge panel lights on), wait a few seconds and then but the foot on the brake and try to start.

This almost sounds like a cold solder joint in the control circuit (perhaps computer). Once the electric jumps the gap, the circuit is closed and works fine until the connection cools off enough to open the circuit. That would be difficult to find, so they will likely just swap out components, starting with the least expensive perhaps.
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
tednbauer

Got the jeep back again. Dealer said it was a relay to the fuel pump that was shorting out. We will see tomorrow when I try to start it cold if it worked out.
Unread 11-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
wk2sjones
2013 JK Wrangler 

Had the same problem on my 2011 WK2. Was back & forth to the dealer 6+ times. Finally Chrysler had them replace the TIPM (totally intergrated power module) and haven't had a problem since.
wk2sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
BREJOLAW

Did the original poster ever get the problem resolved?
BREJOLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
tednbauer

Sorry I forgot to let you guys know what it was. The dealer finally found the problem. It was a relay that was shorting out. They fixed it and it has not happened again and it's been a few thousand miles. TIPM was replaced.

Last edited by tednbauer; 09-12-2014 at 01:23 PM..
Unread 09-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
wcrespo

tednbauer, do you remember the relay that was shorting out? I'm having the same problem. Thanks. Before taking it to the Dealer.
wcrespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
TABULUS

Y'all might want to check out the "Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems" thread on the Edmunds.com forum.

I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo just 2,500 miles out of warranty and having the same hard-starting issues (I have to crank it 5 - 6+ times before it will start - and the last time I drove it almost stalled in traffic.) I took it to my dealer on October 16th, 2013 and they confirmed the cause is a faulty TIPM. They quoted me more than $1,300- parts & labor - AND- wanted a $500 deposit to order the part - but after 3 weeks they still had no idea how long it would take to get it. The folks at the parts counter said there were at least 800 on national backorder. Ouch.

So earlier in the Edmunds thread there was a suggestion about a shop in Tulsa Oklahoma http://www.arspeedometer.com that could fix the TIPM.

I called AR Speedometer in Tulsa, OK that morning at (918-640-0659) , spoke to Alan, and told him what was happening with my GC, and he seemed confident their repair would cure what ailed it.
He has a repair offer on EBAY with his address. The cost of the repair service was $269.00+$14.00 return shipping USPS. It cost me $28 to ship him my TIPM via UPS ground , packed as a computer part and insured for $500.
Total cost = $311.00 (about a thousand $ cheaper than a new one through my dealer)

This is my wife's daily driver and I really couldn't afford to wait until who knows when. So I carefully removed the TIPM by first disconnecting the negative battery lead under the passenger seat, then disconnecting the power lead in the TIPM itself, and labeling each wiring harness and corresponding socket before disconnecting the unit. It was easy enough, just be gentle. Most of them have lever catch that pivots to release the harness from the socket; one has a conventional slide-pin (red) that requires depressing with a small flat-head screwdriver to remove.

I had the repaired TIPM back in 6 days. Since it was the original part, I was able to re-install it without the "flash programming" from the dealer required for a new one.

I've had the unit in for two weeks now, and my Grand Cherokee is running fine - not even a hiccup - so I'm passing on my good experience to this forum as well.

Good luck and happy Thanksgiving y'all!
TABULUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Chaser717
2011 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same problems, non starting and feud pump not shutting off or coming on properly, so the dealership is going to bypass the relay in the TIPIM in stead of replacing the TIPIM. Can't get one right now anyway, and the dealership said this was Chrysler's fix for it. The new relay and parts needed are only like a 100 bucks. Has anyone heard of this fix?
Chaser717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
t-ray-foret
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser717
I have the same problems, non starting and feud pump not shutting off or coming on properly, so the dealership is going to bypass the relay in the TIPIM in stead of replacing the TIPIM. Can't get one right now anyway, and the dealership said this was Chrysler's fix for it. The new relay and parts needed are only like a 100 bucks. Has anyone heard of this fix?
I would be interested in this also so I could do this to my wife's gc but if not I will be sending it to the company In ok
t-ray-foret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
Chaser717
2011 XJ Cherokee 

Had the fix done by bypassing the TIPM with a new relay. Works like new so far. The parts cost about 60 bucks. Then labor. Any dealership should know how to do this.
Chaser717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

My jeep is continually cranking (hard crank - not the battery). It's done it a few times in the past, but it has always started right up on the second try. Now she won't fire up at all. My symptoms don't line up with yours with the exception of the cranking, though. I'm bookmarking this thread in case it's the relay in the TIPIM causing my problems.

When I get home, I'm going to try to drop it into Neutral and start it. One of the service guys suggested that it might be the neutral start switch acting up. The other one said that is highly unlikely in the WK2s. Ugh. Maybe a crank shaft sensor? Fingers crossed for simplicity's sake.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.