Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2011 Grand Cherokee DRL always going out!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ColdCase 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am at my wit's end on replacing the DRLs on this car. Since we've owned it going on three years now, I've replaced the DRLs on either side more than 3 times each. I decided to try LED replacements and they, too, have started going out.

At times the DRLs on both sides are "intermittent" and will go out and come back on at a later time. The contacts in the sockets are clean and there is no evidence of water or other damage.

I am beginning to suspect a control module or something related. Is there any history that this is an issue with this vehicle? Does anyone know the location of the module so maybe I can R&R the connectors in case there is a bad contact or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

v/r

Joe

#2 ·
Dunno about history, I don't recall much discussion. The DRLs are connected to a couple relays controlled by the TIPM and run/start switch. The TIPM can be temperamental. If not the bulbs themselves, I would suspect a relay or circuit problem. The B and C triangles in the diagram bellow are the DRLs.

Attachments

#3 ·
I had that problem with the original halogen lamps and with the first set of LEDs where I didn't know better and bought on price. The LEDs I'm running now from XenonDepot have been rock-solid.

#5 ·
I was going to say that I don't think I've ever had a bulb burn out, but that may just jinx me. I did replace the fogs and DRLs with high quality CREE LEDs a couple years ago.

#6 ·
That's the trick, ColdCase...buying quality LED lamps the first time around. The lower priced ones are too tempting, but as many of us have found out...they sometimes don't last. There's always some risk even with the better ones since that's the nature of electronics, but...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.