2011 Grand Cherokee or 2011 Lincoln MKX - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 Grand Cherokee or 2011 Lincoln MKX

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Theodore42

2011 Grand Cherokee or 2011 Lincoln MKX

I have looked at both vehicles several times and I am having a tough time deciding which one is best overall. Has anyone looked at the Lincoln? Thanks for any feedback.

Theodore42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Newb1995jeepgc
1994 ZJ 

Jeep i would go with, Lincoln is made by ford and we are having alot of problems with our 2008 Ford Expodition and 2010 Ford F150... I wouldnt buy a new ford vehicle again if you ask me but its what you prefer, i like the new WK2 look better to because all of lincolns cars look the same.
Newb1995jeepgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
xWhite420wIDOWx
1967 CJ5 

Do us all a favor and go with the Jeep
xWhite420wIDOWx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
bumzo1
2005 WK 

I haven't had experience with lincoln vehicles but my dad has a 2011 F-250 king ranch and that thing is nice! I'm guessing similar quality will be put into a lincoln. The new Grand Cherokee limited or overland is also super nice, the quality is much improved over the previous generation and the value is very good. The Jeep is going to excel off road (assuming you go with a 4x4 model) and it is still very tame on road and nothing will put a smile on your face like the feel of that Hemi accelerating. The GC also looks much more masculine. With the Jeep you're also buying into a community of great people willing to answer any questions you have.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The MKX is a FWD based vehicle (same platform as the Taurus, Flex and Lincoln MKS/MKT) with a transverse engine and an AWD power take-off unit. The Jeep is RWD based with a real transfer case for the 4WD system. I'd go with the Jeep - it's a much more robust design overall.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Klaus
2011 WK 

We were looking at an Edge (Ford twin of the MKX).

Note it is built as a FWD vehicle. It does come as an AWD model, but there has been problems with the "Power Takeoff Unit" or "PTU".

SMOKIN FORD EDGE - The Stinkin PTU Problem with the Ford Edge

PTU (Transfer Case) - Ford Edge Forum

Burning Smell? - Ford Edge Forum

We ordered a 2011 Jeep GC Overland!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
volvite
1999 WJ 

Really can't compare. SUV Jeep to a Crossover MXK. You have to look at what you have in mind for the vehicle. Pick which ever best fills your needs.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Theodore42

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the question is, if I never go off road, would the Jeep still be the better choice?
Theodore42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
mjw930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore42 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I guess the question is, if I never go off road, would the Jeep still be the better choice?
Ok, lets sum this up. You live in Houston so no snow, you don't seem to need offroad so the only thing left that would move you in the direction of the Jeep would be tow capacity and how the vehicle "moves" you. That intangible thing that says, "I gotta have that car". If neither move you and you don't need to tow anything of significance then I'd go with the Lincoln. If the look and feel of the Jeep put more of a smile on your face than the Lincoln then buy the Jeep.

I understand this as a Jeep fanboy site but the reality is the Lincoln has a higher resale value, higher JD Power new vehicle consumer rating and comes from a company that's far more stable if that's important to you.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I like Ford I think they make good vehicles that cater to the typical American needs. But they have become overzealous, and publicity has fueled the company's ego, lol. They don't make anything that is remotely capable of what any Jeep in it's class can do. (except that F150 Raptor is just ridiculous).

We all know the consumer rating reports are biased and garbage because they do not carry out an appropriate sample size of the new vehicle. So thats tossed out. And I should also note that the new vehicle consumer ratings used for the 2011 GC, are currently using the previous model year. So that is also tossed out. And it has NOT been rated for overall quality and design. I don't trade vehicles in because I lose too much money, and I only buy with cash, so I personally do not care for resell.

I can't speak for you, but there is no comparison for these two vehicles. Jeep puts UTILITY in SUV... Thats why i got it. Ford sells MyTouch/Sync, GMC sells Onstar... Jeep sells Jeep.
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
JTS97Z28

^^^Eh? What does paying cash for a car have to do with resale value? Whether you pay for the car with cash or finance that doesn't change the fact that in 4 years that car is gonna be worth half what you paid for it new. Unless your going to keep that car until your pushin up daisies I would imagine resale value DOES matter to you. Unless ofcourse your a multi millionaire in which case you probably wouldn't be driving a Jeep in the first place ;-)

Oh and to answer the OP's question. I have no experience with the Lincoln, but I personally wouldn't give a second look at the Lincoln. When I see a sweet Overland or SRT8 going down the street my eyes are glued on it :-)
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
DABS1
2011 WK 

I looked at the MKX a few weeks ago and didnt care for the styling especially the front grills.... went with the overland
DABS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 View Post
^^^Eh? What does paying cash for a car have to do with resale value?
All probably off topic...

Nothing really - I'm aware of how depreciation works - I rolled on a tangent off topic. I do not care for the resell predominately because I keep my vehicles to sell to family or for parts.

Quote:
Unless ofcourse your a multi millionaire in which case you probably wouldn't be driving a Jeep in the first place
Amount of money you make has practically nothing to do with what vehicle you drive. Probably more information then you care to read, but my uncle owns 2 Jeeps... 2008 WK, and 2011 WK. He's owns a construction company.
Unread 11-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
mjw930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_WK View Post
I like Ford I think they make good vehicles that cater to the typical American needs. But they have become overzealous, and publicity has fueled the company's ego, lol. They don't make anything that is remotely capable of what any Jeep in it's class can do. (except that F150 Raptor is just ridiculous).

We all know the consumer rating reports are biased and garbage because they do not carry out an appropriate sample size of the new vehicle. So thats tossed out. And I should also note that the new vehicle consumer ratings used for the 2011 GC, are currently using the previous model year. So that is also tossed out. And it has NOT been rated for overall quality and design. I don't trade vehicles in because I lose too much money, and I only buy with cash, so I personally do not care for resell.

I can't speak for you, but there is no comparison for these two vehicles. Jeep puts UTILITY in SUV... Thats why i got it. Ford sells MyTouch/Sync, GMC sells Onstar... Jeep sells Jeep.

The OP said NO offroad, he lives in Houston so there's no inclement weather to deal with and he never mentioned towing capability so what, exactly is a Jeep GC going to do for him, utility wise, that the MKX won't?

Oh, and regardless what you want to believe, there is NO current track record for the WK2 platform so you are basically buying into it on the hope and promise they did things right..... At least on the Flex/MKX platform there's some history.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

Like its stated above, you cant compare the jeep and a MKX but for my self i will NEVER own a FWD vehicle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.