2011 GC Tranny Replacement (5.7L) - 40K miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 GC Tranny Replacement (5.7L) - 40K miles

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
sac01
2011 WK 

2011 GC Tranny Replacement (5.7L) - 40K miles

Whelp...its been ages since I have posted on this forum but just got the news today that the transmission will have to be replaced in my 4WD 2011 GC Laredo X with 5.7L Hemi with just under 40K miles!

It all started Thursday when my wife reported that "the Jeep wasnt driving right" and while I was on the phone with her she noticed that the instrument display showed it was in 4th gear. She could not get the auto-stick to work to get back in "D" (5th gear) and then started to notice a burning smell. She luckily made it home but the Jeep barely had enough power to make it up the slightly inclined driveway but no check engine light was on. I came home to confirm what was happening and as soon as I started the Jeep and put it in reverse the check engine light came on and it wouldn't even roll backwards down the driveway without shuddering and shaking pretty bad.

The CEL code was P0934 which the dealership reported as a transmission line pressure fault so they cleared the code, checked line pressure (which checked out OK), and then did a "road test" and it drove OK and the code didn't reappear...so he called it a day and delaer called to tell me it was "ready". HA, what a JOKE!

So I pick it up yesterday afternoon and am almost home when it starts to wind up going down highway but doesn't want to grab next gear. Then I notice a high pitch whine when slowing down at stop sign and again when accelerating from stop sign...So I come to complete stop and when I remove my foot from brake the Jeep doesn't start cruising forward like any auto-trans should. Finally, when I put it in "R" the gear display shows "--" instead of "R" and when turning the wheel to back in driveway (knowing it would have to be towed AGAIN) it shook pretty bad and I noticed a burning fluid smell...??

Now the dealership has decided to step it up and make it right so they towed it this morning and provided me with a loaner/rental while the work is beign done.

So...to the questions I have regarding my GC (and advance apologies for the ling winded post!)

1) I installed SRT8 20" replicas a while back with 275/55R20 Nitto Terragrapplers. Would the increased tire size and weight possibly cause the tranny to wear out over time? This just seems ridiculous to me given the underlying purpose of a 4WD Jeep designed to handle some offroading.

2) Since the bigger tires rubbed occasionally on big dips in the road I installed the RRO leveling (spacer) kit up front and the rubbing went away...Would the ever so slight change in angles also possibly cause the tranny issue? Again, also seems ridiculous given that it's only a 1.5" (or 1.75"...can't recall for sure) that actually sits on top of the spring assembly and is essentially just a body lift.

3) Could items 1 & 2 above allow the dealership or Jeep to void warranty?

Again, just wanted to share the bad news and get some input on what likely caused the issue. Perhaps a programmer is needed to "tell" the Jeep that it has bigger and heavier tires so the computer accounts for the extra load???

Input and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

sac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Yike's!! I'm by far not an expert but your mods don't seem to be major. Wish you good luck on getting warranty coverage. If not you may save a bundle getting a tranny from a auto wrecker.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
sac01
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullheadbud View Post
Yike's!! I'm by far not an expert but your mods don't seem to be major. Wish you good luck on getting warranty coverage. If not you may save a bundle getting a tranny from a auto wrecker.
Luckily the delarship has already stated i'm covered under powertrain warranty but was just wondering what they could say if it happens again shortly after replacing tranny or further down the road.
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Haven't seen many of the 65RFE's go out so early, not to say that it does not happen, it does, but overall it is a pretty durable tranny, sorry to hear that happened to you man, at least its covered under warranty! Do you tow with the Jeep at all? The mods you have IMO, would not kill the tranny..Hope it works out for ya..
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
sac01
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland_HO View Post
Haven't seen many of the 68RFE's go out so early, not to say that it does not happen, it does, but overall it is a pretty durable tranny, sorry to hear that happened to you man, at least its covered under warranty! Do you tow with the Jeep at all? The mods you have IMO, would not kill the tranny..Hope it works out for ya..
I have never towed anything with it...doesn't even have a hitch. Use my F-150 for any towing duties.

UPDATE: The dealership called today to inform me that Jeep has approved the warranty repair after the digital imaging process. I was told that normally Jeep wants to see the internals of the tranny to decide whether they can rebuild it or should replace it with a new one. Well, the dealership could not even get the tranny apart and it had welded itself shut and metal was clearly forged together effectively sealing itself shut! I did drive it pretty hard when I left the dealership after claiming it was fixed the first go around...I wanted to see for myself and if it was truly fixed it wouldn't have destroyed itself with ~10 miles of agressive highway driving. Works out better for me as I want a NEW tranny vs. a rebuilt one that may be slightly out of tolerances.
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

agreed. and good luck. Now all you have to worry about is that they remove and replace correctly. Fingers crossed for you.
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
pwrdbym

I don't agree that any of your modifications caused your transmission trouble, however you did dodge a bullet by having it repaired under warranty. By this I mean the dealership could claim that the suspension mods placed undue stress on the driveline, etc... Whether it actually did or not now becomes the owners issue to deal with. It looks like your dealership is understanding/realistic enough to take care of the issue. While it is illegal to void a warranty; if the modification can be shown to cause the issue then it won't be covered. Some dealerships have been known to be fairly liberal with this "connection".
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac01 View Post
I have never towed anything with it...doesn't even have a hitch. Use my F-150 for any towing duties.

UPDATE: The dealership called today to inform me that Jeep has approved the warranty repair after the digital imaging process. I was told that normally Jeep wants to see the internals of the tranny to decide whether they can rebuild it or should replace it with a new one. Well, the dealership could not even get the tranny apart and it had welded itself shut and metal was clearly forged together effectively sealing itself shut! I did drive it pretty hard when I left the dealership after claiming it was fixed the first go around...I wanted to see for myself and if it was truly fixed it wouldn't have destroyed itself with ~10 miles of agressive highway driving. Works out better for me as I want a NEW tranny vs. a rebuilt one that may be slightly out of tolerances.
Thanks for the update!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.