2011 5.7 hemi.. few ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2011 5.7 hemi.. few ???

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
recdog

2011 5.7 hemi.. few ???

hey all new memeber here

Im very close to getting a 2011 limited with the hemi...a few owners feedback would be great..

- how do you feel highway cruising is..meaning solid or floaty?..and the steering is it wandering or percise.... currently have a 2011 toyota 4runner wich is nice but its a slob on the highway and feels very horrible at highspeeds, steering is very wandering...and is also very under powered other than that nicee truck.lol

- do you feel the jeeps hemi is powered right...i know we all love more power but is it fun..u know what i mean.

- I will be test driving one this weekend my local guy didnt have a hemi one to test drive so thats why the few questions...thanks guys

recdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
MJRLaw
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by recdog View Post
hey all new memeber here

Im very close to getting a 2011 limited with the hemi...a few owners feedback would be great..

- how do you feel highway cruising is..meaning solid or floaty?..and the steering is it wandering or percise.... currently have a 2011 toyota 4runner wich is nice but its a slob on the highway and feels very horrible at highspeeds, steering is very wandering...and is also very under powered other than that nicee truck.lol

- do you feel the jeeps hemi is powered right...i know we all love more power but is it fun..u know what i mean.

- I will be test driving one this weekend my local guy didnt have a hemi one to test drive so thats why the few questions...thanks guys
I've only had mine a few weeks but here's my take - you know what they say about opinions right? They're like ___ holes, everyone's got one....

1. I think it handles extremely well. You're not taking any high speed corners in it, but highway cruising is very, very solid. My Land Rover Discovery used to have like 20+ degrees of float in the steering wheel, this drives like it should.
2.Hemi power - it's not an SRT8, but I don't think it's as bad as some people here will tell you. A friend who has a 3.2 Audi A5 just drove it and the first thing he said was, "wow this thing is peppy". Bottom line is after driving both - the Hemi was a no brainer.

Good luck!
Unread 06-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
recdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRLaw View Post
I've only had mine a few weeks but here's my take - you know what they say about opinions right? They're like ___ holes, everyone's got one....

1. I think it handles extremely well. You're not taking any high speed corners in it, but highway cruising is very, very solid. My Land Rover Discovery used to have like 20+ degrees of float in the steering wheel, this drives like it should.
2.Hemi power - it's not an SRT8, but I don't think it's as bad as some people here will tell you. A friend who has a 3.2 Audi A5 just drove it and the first thing he said was, "wow this thing is peppy". Bottom line is after driving both - the Hemi was a no brainer.

Good luck!
LOL nice my wifes car is 2010 audi Q5 3.2...and i think thats super fast on highway so your friend saying that your hemi is peppy is great
Unread 06-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
rmcalis
2011 WK 

I recently crossed New Mexico on I-40 with a terrible crosswind. My Overland Hemi was solid on the road, I noticed no swaying, but saw a lot of campers and semis having leaning and swaying problems. Later in Texas, drove on I-20 at the 80mph legal speed limit, it felt as if the vehicle was on a rail. Solid as any I've driven, more solid than most. Get the Hemi, it powers the 5000 pound vehicle very nicely in adverse conditions.
rmcalis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If you like a stable ride, choose the 18 inch tires as the stock 20s are a bit twitchy, following road imperfections. The GC is very maneuverable and handles very well with little driver correction/input required, the hemi is a blast. Pro reviewers say that only the porsche has better SUV road manners. If you want to relax, get yourself the advanced warning and adaptive cruise package as you set the speed where you want and it will adjust to highway traffic. You can drive for hours without touching the brake or gas peddle.

But highway manners is subjective, so test drive.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
MJRLaw
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
If you like a stable ride, choose the 18 inch tires as the stock 20s are a bit twitchy, following road imperfections. The GC is very maneuverable and handles very well with little driver correction/input required, the hemi is a blast. Pro reviewers say that only the porsche has better SUV road manners. If you want to relax, get yourself the advanced warning and adaptive cruise package as you set the speed where you want and it will adjust to highway traffic. You can drive for hours without touching the brake or gas peddle.

But highway manners is subjective, so test drive.
Have to agree with all of this - I have the 18's and the active cruise control, a/c seats, by far one of the best cars I've driven on the highway in.
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
JeremiahB

Ride = Well planted, no drift, and super comfortable

Hemi = Perfect engine for this vehicle. It's not a Cayenne S but it is the perfect mix of power and civility. It will get you where you want to go and how you want to get there 99.9% of the time. If that other .01% is important enough than there is always the Cayenne S at over 2x the money......
JeremiahB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
77rednecktruck

The ride and steering is similar between the 6 and the 8, both are good.

The Hemi has a ton more power than the 6 but the computer is retarded. The Jeep would be a lot "peppier" if the computer would get the hell out of the way, you can feel it slowing the Hemi down on a WOT run until about 40-50mph (at least in mine).
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcalis View Post
I recently crossed New Mexico on I-40 with a terrible crosswind. My Overland Hemi was solid on the road, I noticed no swaying, but saw a lot of campers and semis having leaning and swaying problems. Later in Texas, drove on I-20 at the 80mph legal speed limit, it felt as if the vehicle was on a rail. Solid as any I've driven, more solid than most. Get the Hemi, it powers the 5000 pound vehicle very nicely in adverse conditions.
I just drove through the worst storm I have ever seen here in Florida 2 days ago. The Jeep was as solid as a rock through flooded roads and a nasty cross wind that was definately hurricane force (70 MPH plus winds). Always felt stable and planted with no swaying in the wind at all and no hydroplaning.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Now that you mention it, I now realize yesterday had some nasty cross winds that I only noticed because of the trees laying over.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahB View Post
Ride = Well planted, no drift, and super comfortable

Hemi = Perfect engine for this vehicle. It's not a Cayenne S but it is the perfect mix of power and civility. It will get you where you want to go and how you want to get there 99.9% of the time. If that other .01% is important enough than there is always the Cayenne S at over 2x the money......
IIRC the Cayenne S is slower than the 5.7 GC and its styling looks like a toad had sex with a fish.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
JeremiahB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
IIRC the Cayenne S is slower than the 5.7 GC and its styling looks like a toad had sex with a fish.
The turbo is the one I was thinking of. I thought that was the S, my bad.
JeremiahB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
hipthrowr2
2011 WK 

I have the 70th anniversary Laredo with the 20s and I will say that they dont track as well as I'd like at high speeds. It is barely noticable, and I'm being picky, but I'm sure smaller wheels would correct that.
hipthrowr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
swampass2
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
The ride and steering is similar between the 6 and the 8, both are good.

The Hemi has a ton more power than the 6 but the computer is retarded. The Jeep would be a lot "peppier" if the computer would get the hell out of the way, you can feel it slowing the Hemi down on a WOT run until about 40-50mph (at least in mine).
I agree totally about the computer getting in the way. This is true in Auto mode. The throttle is laggy, the engine feels restricted until you've got it wound up, and the shifts are a little sloppy. But throw it in Sport mode and all those problems go away. Problem is you have to switch it every time you start the Jeep. All of that said, I leave mine in Auto most of the time and then switch to Sport when I'm feeling frisky.
swampass2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #15
recdog

wow thanks guys for all the input...yea i must say my 4runner is all over the place when its windy and i hate that!!

ill check back in monday after my test drive

** oh one other ? does anyone have real 0-60 times for the hemi...ive seen so many diff numbers on the web

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.