2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo + Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo + Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
treii28
2002 WJ 

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo + Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller

I recently picked up a Tekonsha Brake controller with the generic harness and already had scrounged up one of the original OEM factory 'blue' plugs for the 2002 Jeep Cherokee Laredo I own. Upon opening both of them up, I noticed the wires had matching colors. But after looking on the Tekonsha website, I notice that their key to their colors appears to mismatch what is clearly labelled on the wires of the factory harness.

Factory harness:
Red: +12 volt
Black: Ground
White: vehicle brake
Blue: trailer brake

Tekonsha website: ( http://www.wkjeeps.com/trailer/elect...ke_inst_wk.jpg )
Red: Stoplight (I assume 'vehicle brake' above)
Black: Battery + (+12 volt)
White: Ground -
Blue: brake (trailer brake)

It seems like a no brainer but the with the (mis)matching wire colors I wanted to double check. The way I am reading this it should be as follows:

OEM blue harness <--> Tekonsha Harness
Red <--> Black
Black <--> White
White <--> Red
Blue <--> Blue (trailer brake)

Can anyone [perhaps who may have installed one of these] confirm or deny this before I go wire it all up?

Scott

EDIT: I got a response back from Tekonsha that confirmed this.

Addendum:
All is installed and I had a woops on the original - the third match up is now correct as White <--> Red (typed it wrong)
I have tested it and this is accurate and words. The White<-->Red can be attached off the brake switch and is used to trigger the controller.

Last edited by treii28; 05-12-2013 at 06:06 PM..
treii28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.