1st generation(05-07) WK 4.7 vs 3.6 WK2 penstar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 1st generation(05-07) WK 4.7 vs 3.6 WK2 penstar

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
billybob123
2004 WK 

1st generation(05-07) WK 4.7 vs 3.6 WK2 penstar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any owners go from 4.7 to 2011 3.6 that want to give me their thoughts ?
The reason I mention 1st gen. is because 08-10 I guess had more power and a mile or two better gas mileage....

Here's my dilemma :
I have a 04 4.7 wk w/ 31"( 255/70's) & 2.5" RR lift .
I want a 2011 3.6 wk2 but I need better mpg and similar power .
It seems like most are getting about 18 mpg city/highway combined with the 3.6 ?
I get 12 mpg ; winter ( minnesota)
14 mpg summer
The 31" tires and lift only caused me to drop 1 mpg. If this holds true with the 2011 3.6, it will help out enough to let me live with 17mpg

I drove a 2011 3.6 last week at the dealer . It seemed like I had to keep the rpm's up to compete with the pickup of my 4.7 but i'm not really sure ?
The shift point's seem softer in the 3.6 and off the line( even w/my slightly bigger tires didn't seem aas good that / along with the salesman breathing down my neck in the passenger seat could have thrown off my comparison alittle bit .
I know the hp is higher in the 3.6 but you cant go by that as its a totally different engine, displacement, and too many other variables.

If I have to step on the pedal more ( especially w/ 31" or 32" tires) to get going like i'm used to w/ the 4.7 wouldn't that kill my projected mpg I think i'm going to get ?

I'm not a lead foot by any means .
Just want to make sure its the same as mineIf this has been discussed let me know .
I couldn't find anything on it

Last edited by billybob123; 06-19-2014 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: sbs
billybob123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
billybob123
2004 WK 

mpg for daily driving on your 3.6 ?

Sorry if this has been discussed

Consumer reports claims 18 city/highway combined.
Your climate ?
Thanks !

Last edited by Jackal01; 04-23-2013 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: Your two threads cover virtually the same topic. Merged.
billybob123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Jackal01

2012 WK 

I didnt come from a WK but I can tell you that with my 2.5" lift and 31s I get 17-18 in traffic and 19+ on a decent road trip. My average is always hovering in the 17s. And I dont drive nice either but I'm not a lead foot. With all that said, after I put on a K&N CAI my MPG dropped to the 15-16s. Then I put on a Gibson exhaust and my throttle was slightly quicker and my MPG remained the same as it was stock but the performance improved. So, for me, it was worth the upgrades.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
kkreit01

Your assessment of the 3.6 is correct. You have to keep your foot in it in order to move it swiftly. They have ridiculously high gears (my only and large complaint). It does shine at highway passing speeds, but needs a heavy foot at acceleration. As long as you don't constantly get into it, your MPG will still be good. That's the case with any vehicle.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
illflo
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
I didnt come from a WK but I can tell you that with my 2.5" lift and 31s I get 17-18 in traffic and 19+ on a decent road trip. My average is always hovering in the 17s. And I dont drive nice either but I'm not a lead foot. With all that said, after I put on a K&N CAI my MPG dropped to the 15-16s. Then I put on a Gibson exhaust and my throttle was slightly quicker and my MPG remained the same as it was stock but the performance improved. So, for me, it was worth the upgrades.
Jackal,

Can you elaborate on the CAI and your MPG drop? Did your driving style change at all? My past experience with CAIs has been improved MPGs so I was surprised to see this part of your post.

Bigsled: The V6 definitely takes some getting used to if your are used to something with lower gearing. It won't jump off the line, and acceleration is where you're going to lose the most MPGs. I have found that, if you feather the throttle and keep it under 2000 RPM you can easily keep up with traffic and maintain between 20-24 MPG. Can't speak to the lift and tires, but will tell you that I'll be going up to 265/65/18s soon but decided to only go up in size marginally because of MPG considerations.
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
shudog
2012 WK 

I can't comment on the new 3.6 pentastar, but I think the 4.7 in my 06 is garbage. horrible mileage and limited power.
shudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illflo View Post
Jackal,

Can you elaborate on the CAI and your MPG drop? Did your driving style change at all? My past experience with CAIs has been improved MPGs so I was surprised to see this part of your post.

Bigsled: The V6 definitely takes some getting used to if your are used to something with lower gearing. It won't jump off the line, and acceleration is where you're going to lose the most MPGs. I have found that, if you feather the throttle and keep it under 2000 RPM you can easily keep up with traffic and maintain between 20-24 MPG. Can't speak to the lift and tires, but will tell you that I'll be going up to 265/65/18s soon but decided to only go up in size marginally because of MPG considerations.
Like I said, I dont drive nice but I dont drive it pedal to the metal. I drive "normal" ie: 5-10 over, passing when I need to which is often, somewhat quick take offs. Now when I baby it yea I get probably 18-19 but I dont like driving like that...only when I am deep in thought or something like that. Your MPG will depend on a lot of factors with the CAI. Most that are not enclosed with have a drop in MPG because 1. the hot air is coming in and 2. you're driving is "worse" because you like the sound and feel of the CAI regarding the engine performance. So that is why mine dropped because of the hot air not my driving per se. I am no mechanic but once the exhaust was put on my MPG went right back up. I am sure because exhaust was more free flowing and not as restricted as before so that compensated for the drop in CAI MPGs.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
vgrift
2014 WK 

Hmmm, I don`t know about the older models, but our `14 GC Limited with the pentastar has plenty of get up & go. Even off the line. It might be related to the 8 speed tranny.
vgrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Loud Pedal

Not a 100% sure but the loud pedal in your WK is the old fashioned cable controlled type right? Well in the WK2 the loud pedal is drive by wire which takes some getting used to. There are dead spots. Did the WK 2 you drove have select terrain? You also need to try Sport mode. I dont have a light foot and get between 19 an 21mpg with no mods in my 2012Wk2 V5 ORAI. I havent found a CAI that isnt all noise and I am not sure about the intake temps with all them vs stock. I am getting old I would like an aftermarket exhaust that flows great but is as quite or more quite than stock. Only a few engines I want to hear a Ferrari V12 in TR, 275 GTB or Daytona, a big block all aluminum Chevy, a 455SD by Pontiac and an aircooled flat 6 in the back 1970 911S. One of the worst engines soundwise is the V10 in the Viper. Dont need to hear any of Chrysler's current engine crop. Ford, BMW, VW/Audi, GM have nothing I want to hear.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.