1600 mile review - Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 1600 mile review - Laredo

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 12-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

1600 mile review - Laredo

I'm new to the forum, but wanted to post a quick review as I've just hit 1600 miles. I have a Dark Charcoal Laredo 3.6 w/ Off Road Package I. So far, the vehicle has not had any problems at all and I'm extremely pleased with it.

I have driven a Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Cherokee, Hummer H3, and GMC envoy, and I can say this vehicle is absolutely the best in terms of overall build quality, hands down. The H3 and Discovery stock would probably be better off road due to better stock clearance (but the QL would probably make up for most if not all of this). The Hummer did have a more sophisticated 4WD system but it's not fair to compare that to the QT II as it was more comparable to the QD II.

The first thing I thought when I drove the Jeep home was that the ride most reminded me of a European car. By far the best on-road ride of any mid sized SUV I've driven included newer 4runners, pathfinders, previous Jeep models, H3, etc. I have not had a chance to do any off roading, but the Jeep has been excellent in the snow, even with the stock tires. The 4wheel drive system is excellent and I believe it handles better in the snow than even the H3.

Ergonomics are excellent, nothing disappoints at all - the engineers get an A+ for interior and exterior design as far as I'm concerned.

3.6 liter engine is great. I'm averaging 19 mpg - 75% highway cruising at 72ish and 25% around town - and it's been cold out. If you're towing smaller trailers (I tow a 2 place snowmobile trailer, utility trailer, and John Deer 2305 Tractor) this engine is more than enough and gets excellent mileage as well. I can see how people would want a Hemi for serious towing, but personally I wouldn't compromise the gas mileage for the extra power given my needs.

Hopefully this was helpful to any prospective buyers. I think Jeep hit a home run with this vehicle, I have yet to drive another mid size SUV that delivers as much quality, design, engineering, and overall satisfaction.

Glad to be back in a Jeep after a 9 year break since I had my old Cherokee!

MaineJeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
CTO1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineJeep11 View Post
The H3 and Discovery stock would probably be better off road due to better stock clearance (but the QL would probably make up for most if not all of this). The Hummer did have a more sophisticated 4WD system but it's not fair to compare that to the QT II as it was more comparable to the QD II.
No matter where a Hummer can get you, you'll still be driving a Hummer when you get there, and that's punishment enough.
CTO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
mjw930

An H3 us no more a "Hummer" than a Trailblazer. In fact, it's a Trailblazer with leaf springs and a lift kit. Hell, the H2 isn't much more than a Tahoe in drag. The only real Hummer is the H1.

I doubt there's anything a stock H3 or H2 can do that you can't out do with the WK2. I know my Cayenne and Touareg could go places H3's only dream about and the WK2 is supposed to be even better.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
JeremiahB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
Hell, the H2 isn't much more than a Tahoe in drag.
Well done sir
JeremiahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
henrysko
2011 WK 

Appreciate all your comments on the V6.
Just ordered mine with it so it's good to hear that it's a decent performer.
henrysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Awwe.. Hummer haters haha.... stock for stock, Hummers actually aren't that bad. But I agree with MaineJeep, Hemi Powered, QL equipped Jeep with All terrains and traditional front/rear/belly skids could put a Hummer in its place... I think BAD68GTO has a friend with a Hummer, he could give a better review of how they perform.

MaineJeep - thanks for your review. Good to see your WKII surpassing all of your expectations.
Unread 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
billydog

Deja-vu --- I also have the 3.6, double snowmobile trailer and even the 2305 JD... My question is about trailer brakes when pulling the tractor. Do you have trailer brakes? If not - should you? I have a loader and snowblower on my tractor and won't be doing serious towing but would like your opinion.
billydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

billydog, I actually haven't towed the 2305 yet with the Jeep as I've only had it about a month. In my post, I meant to convey that based on my experience with the 3.6 and knowing what it was like to pull the tractor on a double axle open trailer with other vehicles, it will definitely handle it just fine. I guess if I were towing the tractor with attachments up a lot of large hills frequently and at elevation, I would probably want get the hemi. But that depends on preference.

But yes, the trailer I use does have brakes. It probably wouldn't be the end of the world if you towed it once a year for a few miles or something like that, but with a 4 or 5k pound load I definitely use trailer brakes. I just don't want to put the wear and tear on the vehicle brakes. That tractor with the loader and blower must be 2500 to 3000 lbs. right? I don't remember the specs.
Unread 12-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
An H3 us no more a "Hummer" than a Trailblazer. In fact, it's a Trailblazer with leaf springs and a lift kit. Hell, the H2 isn't much more than a Tahoe in drag. The only real Hummer is the H1.

I doubt there's anything a stock H3 or H2 can do that you can't out do with the WK2. I know my Cayenne and Touareg could go places H3's only dream about and the WK2 is supposed to be even better.
I wasn't looking to get into brand bashing or reviewing - I was giving people my opinion of the WKII in comparison with some other vehicles I have driven or owned, hoping it would be helpful to prospective buyers. I have a hard time picturing a Toureg going places an H3 would only dream of. You can bash the hummer brand all you want but I think they're one of the only stock mid size SUV's that really give Jeeps a run for their money off road. That's my opinion from moderate off-roading.
Unread 12-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
CTO1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineJeep11 View Post
I wasn't looking to get into brand bashing or reviewing - I was giving people my opinion of the WKII in comparison with some other vehicles I have driven or owned, hoping it would be helpful to prospective buyers. I have a hard time picturing a Toureg going places an H3 would only dream of. You can bash the hummer brand all you want but I think they're one of the only stock mid size SUV's that really give Jeeps a run for their money off road. That's my opinion from moderate off-roading.
I guess I'm the one who started the bashing, but it was mostly directed at the Hummer's appearance, not its capabilities. I suppose the H3 isn't that bad, at least compared to the H2, for which there is no excuse!
CTO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

I agree CTO1 - no excuse for that vehicle at all!
Unread 01-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
RodeoLinebacker
2011 WK 

Can't we just all get along??

I think Jeep really hit it out of the park with the new WK2. I had the opportunity to drive two different Laredos (rentals, V6s, one with only 200 miles on it) extensively over a period of a couple weeks. It gave me a chance to give the vehicle a good workout in mountain driving where I live in Western Washington. I was so impressed with the performance and the apparent quality of this vehicle that I decided to buy one, even though I'm a lifelong GM guy.

That being said, I don't understand the need by some to bash other vehicles like Hummer. I never drove an H3 but I did own an H2 and it was an incredibly capable off-road vehicle. I put mine through its paces at the AM General test grounds in South Bend as well as daily use on the unmaintained roads where I live. It's a go anywhere truck that never let me down. A cabinet-maker neighbor of mine once had a delivery truck full of product that got stuck on our entrance road, a sharp graded path down through a ravine which was covered in thick winter ice. They tried several vehicles to pull that truck out, but I just wrapped my tow strap around the hitch on my H2 and pulled it right up the incline. I don't think a Jeep would have had enough mass to maintain traction. I loved the e-locker on the H2; it was like putting on gravity boots when you were going up mud hills.

I can respect and appreciate both Jeep and Hummer for their respective products, as each are designed to do particular jobs that most vehicles couldn't touch. Comparing the Hummer to a Tahoe though because they share components reflects mostly ignorance and is about as fair as saying the WK2 is nothing more than a Mercedes ML with a seven-slot grille.

I really love my new Jeep and can't wait to take it up to Moab this summer. It doesn't take away from what the Hummer was and is.
RodeoLinebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Chippewa1

I agree!

I agree completely with your review! I just leased an 11 Laredo X, 3.6L. I just have the QuadraTrac I system, but this will suit me just fine for the expected use. I must say, I am extremely impressed with the vehicle, especialy the interior quality/design. The 3.6L is an excellent engine. My father in law has a BMW X5, and the performance is right on par with that an he actually likes the interior design better than his X5. It is also quieter inside than the X5. If this is the future of how Chrysler will make vehicles, then the future is bright.
Chippewa1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.