14 Limited Navigation issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 14 Limited Navigation issues

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
JeepMe7

14 Limited Navigation issues

Is anyone having voice recognition issues while in the NAV mode? I had to have the head unit replaced for some other issues pretty much right out of the gate so I dont know if the previous unit did this. If I use the V/R to find an address, it rarely finds it. It seems to default to search in Maine when nothing in my request sounds anything like Maine. My microphone has no issues when I use the feature to make calls and play songs so I dont think that is it. Also, it adds a number 2 to the address when I say Navigate to: I try just saying Navigate but it doesnt help.

I wish they would just allow typing on the keyboard when driving because ultimately I end up doing that on google maps on my phone. So frustrating.

JeepMe7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Have you read this:
File Type: pdf Uconnect Voice Commands.pdf (665.4 KB, 84 views)
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
JeepMe7

No link if you listed one.....I have done searches but maybe my word search is off. Please repost with the link please
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
jacko15
2014 WK 

It's not a link. It's a pdf file. You need Adobe Acrobat reader to view it. If you're on a phone you probably can't. Try the Uconnect site, I think that's where I downloaded it. http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/...kee/8-4an-ra4/
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
JeepMe7

I have adobe reader on my phone. I hadnt resd it but was there a specific point that addresses my question? I see there are bunch of different tabs to choose.
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Have you tried just saying "find" and then the address or place name?

Using the hands free phone is a bit different than having the radio try to interpret what you are saying. Is there a training thing? Where you say certain words to the radio and it tries to adapt.
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

One of my pet peeves with the Nav. system in my 2014 limited GC is you cannot use the nav. system to find when the vehicle is in motion. Did the designers ever think maybe there might be another person in the vehicle, like say in the front passenger seat that would be the Navigator??? I have a VW Jetta, 2009 Sportwagon with a factory built in Nav. It can be used while the car IS in motion after you agree with a warning screen about hazards of using it when in motion. Does anyone know if the Nav. system in 2014 jeeps can be bypassed about the not usable in motion thingy?
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
MattXJ
2014 WK 

I think this might:

http://www.coastaletech.com/CHR558.htm
Unread 02-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullheadbud View Post
One of my pet peeves with the Nav. system in my 2014 limited GC is you cannot use the nav. system to find when the vehicle is in motion. Did the designers ever think maybe there might be another person in the vehicle, like say in the front passenger seat that would be the Navigator??? I have a VW Jetta, 2009 Sportwagon with a factory built in Nav. It can be used while the car IS in motion after you agree with a warning screen about hazards of using it when in motion. Does anyone know if the Nav. system in 2014 jeeps can be bypassed about the not usable in motion thingy?
Liability laws have changed some since 2009.. and this has been a common complaint here for years with the typical response being "that's all we need more distracted drivers" Even with a passenger manipulating the buttons 9 times out of 10 the driver is involved The retort is "Its my life and I can do what I want"... Then its like "just pull over, take your time, and press on, you could save a life by spending just a couple minutes"... then it starts getting childish.

If you want to risk your life and others, there is have been a couple modules available that will bypass the sensors and allow data entry in motion... as well as watching a video.. if you don't think you are distracted enough One has recently been updated for 2014. YMMV. The forum has a few install and operation discussions but not much on the 2014MY as the 2014MY box has just came out.
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
JeepMe7

@Cold Case....

Im not really sure that comment was necessary. I dont think anyone sets out to put their life or others at risk to find a point on a map. My initial comment is directed more to the fact that the recognition software just doesnt seem to be up to snuff when in nav mode. It has become very frustrating looking for a POI and have my map start its search in Maine when im in Pennsylvania. Its even more frustrating with addresses. It is not always convenient to just pull over. The distraction is just dragged out when repeatedly calling out an address that the nav wont understand.
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Suggestion

I play nice and not get into distracted driver debate.

Have a friend, spouse or other family member say the same command or address and see if maybe the issue is your accent. You all who live North of the Mason Dixon line have these funny accents which no one understands bubba. So maybe speaking Southernese could also help.

Also try giving command from the passenger seat.

Maybe your GC has a hankering for some lobster and chowder and wants to head to Maine since lobster and chowder beat a Philly cheesesteak or a Primanti Bros sandwich.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
JeepMe7

Funny stuff. Primantis rock. So good at 2am. Im not looking for a war of words at all.

As for the accent thing....what accent? Ha. The weird part is that the mic has no issue in phone mode or when playing my stored music. Thats why it is so frustrating...

You can play with all kinds of buttons while driving but you cant even enter the state you want to look in.
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #13
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMe7 View Post
@Cold Case....

Im not really sure that comment was necessary. I dont think anyone sets out to put their life or others at risk to find a point on a map. My initial comment is directed more to the fact that the recognition software just doesnt seem to be up to snuff when in nav mode. It has become very frustrating looking for a POI and have my map start its search in Maine when im in Pennsylvania. Its even more frustrating with addresses. It is not always convenient to just pull over. The distraction is just dragged out when repeatedly calling out an address that the nav wont understand.
Comment was address to Bullheadbuts post, don't take it personal... and was tongue in cheek.

Have you trained the radio to your voice? I have had absolutely no issue with mine once it was trained to recognize my Pittsburgh accent . Perhaps your radio has a problem and should be returned to the dealer for a fix as I don't recall your complaint being widespread here. Wasn't one of those Radio updates to fix voice recognition issues, or they can help you work the radio properly.

The Maine thing reminds me of when the 2011s with 730N first came out... the radio kept sending everyone to Maine
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
JeepMe7

Yeah....I had a new unit installed just a month ago because of software issues. So maybe mine is still in training.....how long did yours take roughly?
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #15
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMe7 View Post
Funny stuff. Primantis rock. So good at 2am. Im not looking for a war of words at all.

As for the accent thing....what accent? Ha. The weird part is that the mic has no issue in phone mode or when playing my stored music. Thats why it is so frustrating...

You can play with all kinds of buttons while driving but you cant even enter the state you want to look in.
Have someone else speak the address and see if its you or the system! Come on all you Yankees have funny accents. My dad who was born in Williamsport PA also had one. He didnt think he did.

Also try speaking it from the front passenger seat. Not sure where the mike is located but you dont have any air fresheners or anything else hanging around that could obstruct the sound.

And come one best sandwich is found up the road in NYC at Katz's. Nothing beats a good pastrami on rye. Shame down here in the South they want to put mayo on everything. Cant believe some of the crap my redneck friends do.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.