14 EcoDiesel back to dealer for 8th time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 14 EcoDiesel back to dealer for 8th time

Steering Y-Link Adapter!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Our Panhard / Trackbar brackets, Variations......

Unread 01-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
Super_Rep

14 EcoDiesel back to dealer for 8th time

I now have 13,0000+ miles on my 2014 diesel and it's going back to the dealer for the 8th time to get the CHECK ENGINE light (supposedly) fixed. It has been coming on every time I get fuel. Each visit has resulted in an ECM update flash, which of course erases the check engine light code until I get fuel again.

I have finally complained about their inability to fix the issue so much that it has been elevated to an engineering case. (I mentioned I'm looking into how the Lemon law might apply to this.) I'm to leave the vehicle for them to really dig into it. Jeep is supplying me with a no charge loaner car while the problem is resolved(?). The factory is supposed to direct the diagnose and fix this time.

Is anybody else having this problem?

Super_Rep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
thebishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Rep View Post
I now have 13,0000+ miles on my 2014 diesel and it's going back to the dealer for the 8th time to get the CHECK ENGINE light (supposedly) fixed. It has been coming on every time I get fuel. Each visit has resulted in an ECM update flash, which of course erases the check engine light code until I get fuel again.

I have finally complained about their inability to fix the issue so much that it has been elevated to an engineering case. (I mentioned I'm looking into how the Lemon law might apply to this.) I'm to leave the vehicle for them to really dig into it. Jeep is supplying me with a no charge loaner car while the problem is resolved(?). The factory is supposed to direct the diagnose and fix this time.

Is anybody else having this problem?
Neither of our EcoDiesels have done this, but it sounds like the kind of CEL you get in a vehicle with a gas cap that hasn't been tightened up after refueling. Since the GC has no gas cap, I would have them check to make sure that the self sealing system in the fuel filler pipe is working.
Bish
thebishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
Gecko426

What is the code that it is producing? Is it the same one every time?
Gecko426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
rammin03

Wow, lemon for sure. Good luck dealing with them and I hope its fixed or replaced...
rammin03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
bpbpimajeep14

I really should knock on wood but I have had no serious problems with our eco diesel. I have had a couple CEL when it was cold out, none caused the vehicle to not work properly though and both times went out on there own in a day or two. I believe ours was due to the def freezing but I could be wrong. I love the Eco diesel and am glad I choose it over the hemi. Sucks to hear others having propels. I have 40000km on ours and runs like a top and sips like a lady.
bpbpimajeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
GreatDaneLvr
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammin03 View Post
Wow, lemon for sure. Good luck dealing with them and I hope its fixed or replaced...
Lemon law for a CEL? Not quite.
Unread 01-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Maybe the 9th times a charm? j/k. Sorry to hear of your problems with your Jeep I would be annoyed also. I hope that they get it figured out for you.. First year motor in the Grand and not a lot of trained tech's yet either, very odd though, atleast there is a pattern with the CEL with when you get fuel. Water or debris maybe in the fuel filter/lines? injector maybe?Perhaps the self sealing system has a crack/leak or issue of some sort? Obviosuly fuel related it would seem but I am a just a Cubical Keyboard forum warrior Technician, lol! Whats the code by chance? If you ask and they dont tell you, just go to the local Autozone/Checker/O'Rilies (Whatever is n your neck of the woods) and ask for the scanner and get the code your self and Google or post up here, lots of knowledge here..(They usually always let you use the scanner for free). Let us know what comes of it all.
Unread 01-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Super_Rep

Got my GC Diesel back

After a week at the dealer, I now have my GC diesel back and the CEL is out - just hope it stays that way. The GC now has a new DEF injector dosage module, catalytic converter, required gaskets and new DEF fill. Price of parts was $1329.00 + labor and car rental. Cost to me 000$s.

Just hope this solves the issue. Already refueled and CLE did NOT come on.

Larry H. Miller Jeep in Tucson did the work. Their service is first class!
Unread 01-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #9
LouC
2007 WK 

Glad they fixed it. In New York at least a CEL will cause you to not pass a state inspection which to me may qualify for lemon law (driving afar with an expired inspection gets you a ticket)...
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 06:26 AM   #10
kryogen
2011 WK 

I'm soooooo not buying a diesel when I buy another jeep.
Unread 01-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #11
ferntree

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
I'm soooooo not buying a diesel when I buy another jeep.
Your loss. Sounds like you really did some solid research. There is not a better equipped vehicle for the NE climate in my opinion. Starts first time even when left out all night in minus temperatures, gets 30 mpg on long trips and has more torque than a six liter V8.

Real shame that a few people have had issues, then someone reads the forums and suddenly the whole model range is a POS. Get real.... For the most part the problems are minor, with a few exceptions. Ours has been back to the dealer a couple of times. The longest stay was just over an hour. We sat in nice leather chairs, watched the big screen TV, drank free hot chocolate and used free wifi. That's what a warranty is for, and we took an extended one as well just for peace of mind.
I am sure there are no owners of the hemi or V6 that have ever had any problems with their Jeep right? Or Range Rovers, Audi's, Rams, Toyota's or anything else. Best bet is to buy yourself a 1950's Chevy - they never break down.
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
dlthig
2014 WK 

Mine goes back for the 6th time next week. I bought it on May. The first was for the CV boots. Second, I combined an oil change with some recalls. Third was a CEL that resulted in a DEF system repair. Forth was for another CEL that was cleared. Fifth was to diagnose another CEL which turned out to be a DEF injector pump. I'll have the pump installed next week. I'll be calling the SC Consumer Protection Bureau tomorrow. I'm done, I had so much hope when I bought it. I've driven diesels in Europe for years. Our emission controls have royally screwed up this model.
dlthig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
Super_Rep

Well, my CEL has stayed out now for 3 fill ups, so it looks like after 8 visits Jeep finally got the issues fixed. Only time will tell how permanent the repair is.

I've been doing some off road running around in the Dragoon Mts of SE AZ and just love this Jeep GC. I've the only GC in a group of 11 Wranglers and Rubicons and have had absolutely no trouble keeping up to the rest of the group.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.