130 to 430 - direct swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 130 to 430 - direct swap?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
benvh
2011 WK 

130 to 430 - direct swap?

Just got a new (used) 2011 Laredo with the basic 130 head unit. I have an opportunity to get a 430 for a decent price and was wondering if it's as simple as taking the 130 out and plugging in the 430? I don't have the uconnect option so I know those functions won't work without installing that package, but will the rest of the unit work ok?

Not sure if I want to do this yet or just get an aftermarket unit with GPS.

Ben

Unread 11-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Jcw8010
2011 WK 

Would like to do same thing with my Larado ! Trying to decide between OEM or aftermarket.
Jcw8010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
lords47

Should be possible and easy. My buddy just bought a 2011 Liberty Sport with a stock radio and switched it out with a 730 nav unit. He had to buy the gps antenna on ebay ($20), install was about 10 minutes, and works like a charm. If you can get a good price, go for it!
Unread 11-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Should be physically simple if you don't want/need the u connect features. I think the dealer needs to reprogram the computer for the new radio, however. The vehicle VIN is tied to the radio. If they don't match, I don't think the replacement radio turns on.
ColdCase is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
lords47

^ my buddy's radio worked fine, all functions (AM FM, SAT, CD, NAV), no reprograming required for functionality. It was 100% plug and play. However, you are correct, the VIN doesn't match. WRT uconnect, I'm assuming to OP doesn't have that feature with his 130 radio, so I can't imagine he'll miss that feature.
Unread 11-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, I should have said that as long as the OP didn't want to add those features, it should be simple plug an play.

Did you say that the new radio functioned fine for your buddy without reprograming the VIN?

BTW, the Jeep dash needs to be trimmed to fit aftermarket double DIN radios.
ColdCase is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
lords47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Yeah, I should have said that as long as the OP didn't want to add those features, it should be simple plug an play.

Did you say that the new radio functioned fine for your buddy without reprograming the VIN?

BTW, the Jeep dash needs to be trimmed to fit aftermarket double DIN radios.
Yes. As soon as he plugged it in and gave it a whirl, it worked perfect. Somehow, as strange as it sounds, the first time he turned it on, it displayed the Dodge logo on the screen. The second time, it was updated with the Jeep logo. That surprised me.

His dash required no modification, though it's a KK, not a WK2.

**Edit** Just noticed your comment about trimming the dash was regarding aftermarket systems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.