11 Hemi Overland Differential whine/ roar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 11 Hemi Overland Differential whine/ roar

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 06-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
elarm1
2011 WK 

11 Hemi Overland Differential whine/ roar

Hello, I am a proud owner of my 2011 Jeep Overland Hemi with the quadra trac suspension and I am having issues. I took the Jeep to a track day and towed two motorcycles with a enclosed trailer and had no issues yesterday. Today I took the Jeep for a little light off road trail I know at low speeds with 4 low on and hill descend on everything was fine with no unusual noises until I made it back to dry pavement. Now I hear a roaring noise whenever the speeds are above 40 mph. Anyone have the slightest idea where I should look? I power washed the undercarriage then hand washed the truck to make sure all dirt and mud was off. I also have no warning lights on.

elarm1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
elarm1
2011 WK 

It appears to be coming from the left wheel. I am taking it off now to inspect
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
elarm1
2011 WK 

Mud caked up and removed but I'm still hearing and feeling the noise on the left side. Going down the road and making left bend turns I hear and feel the noise but doing the same thing on right bends, I don't feel or hear it. Any suggestions?
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
modernblueWK

Wheel bearing is the typical suggestion with your left/right description.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
elarm1
2011 WK 

I replaced the left front wheel bearing (where I was hearing the noise) and I STILL have the same noise! Around 30mph, it roars with a whomp whomp whomp not super loud, but definitely noticeable. Any other places I can look before I take it to a professional for an opinion?
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elarm1 View Post
I replaced the left front wheel bearing (where I was hearing the noise) and I STILL have the same noise! Around 30mph, it roars with a whomp whomp whomp not super loud, but definitely noticeable. Any other places I can look before I take it to a professional for an opinion?
How about a alignment,could be tire noise caused by a bad alignment.
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
CJATE

Breaks ok? They can make that but more frequently squeal.

Sure it's out of 4x4?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
elarm1
2011 WK 

It's a 2011 full time awd. I can rotate the tires but I seriously doubt that is it. More suggestions please... I'm already in the ****e house with my old lady!
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Did you damage the tire? Roars are typically bearings, could be any one. Diff, transfer case. Most common is the wheel bearing you replaced, usually the easies least expensive bearing to get at. My Vette roared when a snap ring let go and got caught up in the overdrive bearing.

Roars could also be u-joint related, especially with the womp womp, but they typically are rumbles.

Some here have had issues with rear drive shafts, perhaps investigate that next.
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Rear driveshaft issues

Never really experienced any roar or whomp whomp when my rear driveshaft failed it will start to slip and make other noises.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
elarm1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Did you damage the tire? Roars are typically bearings, could be any one. Diff, transfer case. Most common is the wheel bearing you replaced, usually the easies least expensive bearing to get at. My Vette roared when a snap ring let go and got caught up in the overdrive bearing.

Roars could also be u-joint related, especially with the womp womp, but they typically are rumbles.

Some here have had issues with rear drive shafts, perhaps investigate that next.
The noise is definitely front left and NOT in the rear drive shaft. It will be going to the dealer next week hopefully to be covered by powertrain warrenty.
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Rotate tires

Goodyears could be the problem. Take the right rear tire and put it the left front and see if you get the same noise. Check any CV joint boots etc for holes.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
elarm1
2011 WK 

No holes in boots and no damage to the tires. Rotated and the noise is still there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.