1 year review of 11 JGC Overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 1 year review of 11 JGC Overland

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
charheep
2011 WK 

1 year review of 11 JGC Overland

About one year and 15k miles ago, I bought a 11 JGC Overland Hemi 4x4 brand new. I wanted to write my review. Here are some highlights before the detailed review.

-4x4 works amazing. Chicago had one of the worst blizzards in years. I made it to work without any issues, even on the unplowed streets.
-Average MPG- 15.3. Stop and go really kill the mileage, but it makes it up quickly if you move steadily
-the tech in the car is still amazing and works great
-remote start is perfect. cools the car/seats in the summer, heats the car/seats/steering wheel in the winter
-zero issues, even with the QL. Never an issue or concern, except twice it has not read the key fob. Waiting a few seconds seemed to fix it.
-wish the radio would remember what screen you are on (channel name, artist, or song) when restarting.
-dont know when they are going to update the NAV DB. I may have missed it if they did, but it is out of date badly.

Long review
So far, zero real issues. I think I have been through every situtation a person would ever have in this car. From a blizzard where the state said to stay off the roads, to 100+ degree days. Even down in the -20's/30 we get here in Chicago, it warms up fairly quickly.

My unplowed driveway and side streets were very bad during the blizzard. I put the QL in Offroad2 and it just drove through it. If I wasnt too scared to stop, I would have looked to see if I was bottoming out or not.The car has started each time, and just worked.

I like the remote start feature, and putting it into sport mode will make it handle pretty well for a SUV this heavy. The hemi sounds great when pushed, and when it idles, it just sounds mean(to me). The interior still looks new, the seats are wearing very well. The rechargeable flashlight could be brighter, but I have used it more than I thought I would. The park feature is nice when loading/unloading my dog. But I usually leave it in Auto, very rarely sport. I reserved Sport mode when I know I will need it. Every work day I take the highway, so the QL has to lower to aero mode and back. Thats a lot of cycles and no issues. I would think the self leveling headlights would break first, as in my mind, they are constantly moving if I had to guess. The tires are still like new, and are not loud or any louder than I remember them when new.

I will never own a car without a backup camera if I can help it. Just makes reversing that much easier.

Drove it on a 1000 mile vacation in the spring. Seats were comfortable and mileage went up to about 20-21. Used the 110v converter on the trip. No issues. This is my first car that didnt make me start looking for a replacement within 6 months. Usually I get bored easy, and dont own a car longer than 2 years. So far I am not bored.

-On a side note I ran over a stop sign in a mall parking lot. It was raining and I didnt see it. I took out the sign. The front end has some paint transfer and a crease. Very impressed with the durablilty. I thought it would have broken a light or ripped something off. It wasnt a gentle hit.

Just my experience and thoughts on the car.

charheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
webspoke

Yours is similar to my experience (here north of Dallas). Surprised this year with lots of snow and ice and a brutal summer. The vehicle just works all the time, and is capable, and comfortable. I have added some mods and it has handled them well, but they were nice to haves, not needed to enjoy the vehicle. No regrets with this purchase.
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
2MchFun
2011 WK 

I got my Overland Summit in March and so far (7k mi.), I love it! I got it after we had any snow, but drove it on the soft sand in OBX in September and it rocked! The only thing I don't like is the adaptive CC, it is of very limited use.
2MchFun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Buffy
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MchFun
The only thing I don't like is the adaptive CC, it is of very limited use.
I live in the Atlanta area and I LOVE the adaptive CC! Running down I-75 at 70 and someone pulls in front of you and slows down, it (ACC) slows you down instead of having to cancel cruise all together until they get out of the way.

And when they finally exit or move on, it auto-magically goes back to 70! What's not to love about that?
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
nathantw
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
I live in the Atlanta area and I LOVE the adaptive CC! Running down I-75 at 70 and someone pulls in front of you and slows down, it (ACC) slows you down instead of having to cancel cruise all together until they get out of the way.

And when they finally exit or move on, it auto-magically goes back to 70! What's not to love about that?
I'm with you on that one. I didn't know whether I would trust having the car go faster or slower, but after a while I realized that it was really, really handy. I don't actually know if I could go back to a pure non-adaptive cruise control anymore.

I have a Summit and so far I love it. No problems whatsoever.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
2MchFun
2011 WK 

As long as the road is flat - no problem. When driving in the hills, it applies the brakes EVERY time you start down a hill. My girlfriend was following me and confirmed it. Not only will this lead to premature brake wear, it is killing gas mileage. Too bad it just doesn't let off the throttle instead. It also way overreacts at times slamming on brakes when not really necessary.
2MchFun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
kmag53

I love the adaptive cruise but I am also traveling on pretty level ground when using it. Can see where hills etc. could throw it off some but around here (in flat Ohio) it works great.
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
rmillnj

I have had my 2012 JGC Overland for about a month now. Living in NJ where a lot of the driving is on the roads like the Turnpike, Parkway, or heavy traffic freeways, the adaptive cruise control is worth every penney. We used it on a trip down to Northern Virginia and had it set to 80 mph, and pretty much went the whole way in fairly heavy traffic without ever having to touch either the gas or brakes. The average speed was probably about 70, with some slow spots moving along only at 35.

It does take some getting used to, mostly trust issues. I would recommend it though to anyone that does a lot of freeway driving. Plus the blind spot indicator is great.
rmillnj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MchFun View Post
As long as the road is flat - no problem. When driving in the hills, it applies the brakes EVERY time you start down a hill. My girlfriend was following me and confirmed it. Not only will this lead to premature brake wear, it is killing gas mileage. Too bad it just doesn't let off the throttle instead. It also way overreacts at times slamming on brakes when not really necessary.
All the vehicles I've driven where the cruise control also triggers a downshift and applies brakes will have these characteristics on steep hills and over the crest, especially less than 50 mph. I had to be alert driving my Vette as the downshift would break the rear tires loose sometimes, adding some excitement to the commute.

There are times when cruise control is not all that useful. I gues thats what the cancel and resume buttons are for, to get you past the points where cruise control is not effective or annoying.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:06 AM   #10
Buffy
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MchFun View Post
2MchFun,

I must admit, I agree with you on the downhill braking occuring. That does get to be annoying after a while. I also agree on the premature brake wear statement when, as you said, if they would have just let it "coast" down hills, I think maybe after 5 MPH over the cruise setting, THEN apply the brakes would have been better.

Dang, now I don't like it! HA!
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
WvTaco
2011 WK 

what i miss the most from my toyota tacoma, when going down a hill with out cruise on if u tap the brakes twice it would drop a gear( auto ) and hold u back the jeep wont do this. but most car/trucks/suv( except chevy ) seems to down shift at 5-10 over where u have the cc set.

but for long down hills i tap the cc cancel button, then once it slows to 5 under what i have it set at resume button.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.