What kind of music do you like? What bands? Play any instruments? Small rant, too... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > What kind of music do you like? What bands? Play any instruments? Small rant, too...

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What kind of music do you like? What bands? Play any instruments? Small rant, too...

Okay, so name your favorite music genres, bands, songs, any instruments you play....Basically, what do you listen to, and/or what do you play? Oh, and if you own any guitars/basses, what are your favorites?

I'll start. I like a lot of classic rock. I love Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, etc. I also enjoy some 90s-type rock like Nirvana, Green Day, and bands like that. I do also listen to some rap and hip hop, as well as some pop. I also enjoy some Johnny Cash or Alan Jackson-type country...Occasionally some Bob Marley

I play guitar, upright and electric bass, and piano, and sing. I play in the jazz band and concert bands at school, as well as the pep band, and play some classical music on the piano. I play some bluegrass and country, as well as new and old rock on the guitar.

SOOOO here's a rant, a problem I've noticed within my high school and society in general. NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, YOU WILL BE JUDGED BY YOUR MUSIC CHOICES. If I'm in school, the "cool" thing to do is listen to new alternative rock songs that nobody's ever heard of, until they become "mainstream." Then, you switch to new music. I don't get it...People judge because Green Day and Nirvana are "too mainstream," and they judge because classical and jazz are "boring," and they judge country because "it's for rednecks," and they judge old rock for being "overrated." They also judge rap and hip hop for being "stupid," and they judge pop for being "annoying and mainstream." So the only "cool" thing to be listening to seems to be alternative, and it usually has no bass, lots of mumbling, and a lot of cowbell-like noises–basically it's not mainstream because it has no reason to be. I don't get it. I know not everyone has the same tastes in music, but as someone who likes almost every kind, I feel like I have to be careful around certain people and groups so my music isn't judged or laughed at. One example is that when I'm at a folk music festival, everyone's always like, "I hope you don't listen to any of that rap garbage or ear-bleeding metal!" I just assure them that I don't (even though I do).

Is this a problem anyone else has? Oh, and I don't really listen to people when they judge music, because if it sounds good to you, I don't see any reason not to listen to it...That's why there are so many genres...

Btw out of 11 or so total, my favorite guitars are my 2008 Gibson SG Standard in Ebony (Christmas present in 6th grade...I ran up and down the hall screaming), my Guild GAD30R, my 1930's Gibson L7 (handed down from my great grandfather), and my Fender Tele....

...Wishing I wasn't stock
Edit: Wishing everything worked as it should
JeepaholicNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
xjtrailrider

Outlaw country and Bluegrass. New country music sucks. I can't play anything, sing a single note or even dance unless I'm shiit-faced.
xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
bhikku
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I play guitar and bass, i mainly listen to ****ty punk and ska from the early 90's.
Utah Jeep Crew #152
US Navy 04-08
bhikku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The new "alternative" crap that high school kids listen to is absolute junk. Current bands that I can't stand are Mumford and Sons, Florence and the Machine, Grouplove, etc. Can't stand that ****.

I'm a big classic rock and "grunge" fan, such as yourself.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
bhikku
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
The new "alternative" crap that high school kids listen to is absolute junk. Current bands that I can't stand are Mumford and Sons, Florence and the Machine, Grouplove, etc. Can't stand that ****.

I'm a big classic rock and "grunge" fan, such as yourself.
I'm with ya there, can't stand that current stuff.
Utah Jeep Crew #152
US Navy 04-08
bhikku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtrailrider View Post
New country music sucks.

i listen to a bit of everything, from eminem and nelly to george jones or journey. if i like it, i don't care what it is classified as, i will listen to it. modern country ain't worth a flip and doesn't sound like country. my wife and her friends have been tryin to push country artist that aren't mainstream (mainly canadian's) into people's view on social media, so i have been listening to that at home, it ain't half bad.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I listen to a large variety but typically sway towards country. I try to keep an open mind though and will appreciate music for what it is, even if it isn't quite my style.

I play the guitar, can do a little bass if need be, can keep a beat on the drums, and tinker very little on piano and harmonica. I can sing as well. I was in a country band for 2 years playing guitar and singing harmony with my twin brother and good friend. The band grew and started picking up a lot of gigs (usually 2 per weekend). With how much time I was putting in along with getting married, I gracefully bowed out and now book for the band. We've opened for some large names such as Don Williams, Chris Cagle, Florida Georgia Line, etc.

My favorite guitar that I own is probably my 12 string Seagull. When I was in the band, I'd play my brothers 6 string Seagull as well. I love the rich sound of the Seagull brand acoustic guitars!
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice. I've played some seagulls guitars at a local store. The seagulls are really nice and pretty well-priced

Unread 04-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
RichieT
2014 WK 

I picked up a beat up, worn lefty Seagull to use as a camping guitar to replace my ibenez which has the sonic qualities of a cardboard box. I wound up liking the Seagull too much take camping. It's great for fingerpicking and just drips tone. Being a lefty, it's hard finding decent guitars (my rant). Over the years I managed to pick up a D28, Gibson Songwriter deluxe, and my new favorite, a National tricone. My electrics don't get much play now but I got a Left Paul, Tele, and a couple of Strats. Just finished rebuilding a MIM strat. I put in Lace hot gold pickups and the fender mid-boost preamp. The closet I've heard to a do-it-all guitar.
RichieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #10
JeepEpoch

I can jam on the playstation 3 guitar fender stratocaster...its probably not cool anymore but its the only coordinated thing my left hand can do...My buddy plays a "real" guitar and hates the game (cuz hes bad at it) and gives me hell all the time but my hands werent built for the real thing.

When i was in highschool it seemed like people were drawn to the "alternative" genre because it made them feel unique and special listening to things no ones heard of which is understandable if your hanging with the rebelious type.
JeepEpoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 02:28 AM   #11
MadderThanMax

I tend to play classic rock - Thin Lizzy, UFO, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Thunder and the likes.. Get a great deal of enjoyment out of it. Play mainly Les Pauls but have a few oddities in the collection including a 335, A HSS Strat, A Jackson Dinky, A Jackson "PC1" (Phil Collen), A PRS Paul Allender, A Gretsch "George Harrison" (Can't Remember the Number..)
I also have a couple of acoustics both Ibanez one 6 string and 1 12 String, but I like 'em both as they have a nice mellow bass tone...

On a rant note: Don't you just love it when the crowd know what you're playing and someone shouts "Can you play Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd" and you're a Thin Lizzy Tribute or something, and of course its hilarious to them and their cronies...
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieT View Post
I picked up a beat up, worn lefty Seagull to use as a camping guitar to replace my ibenez which has the sonic qualities of a cardboard box. I wound up liking the Seagull too much take camping. It's great for fingerpicking and just drips tone. Being a lefty, it's hard finding decent guitars (my rant). Over the years I managed to pick up a D28, Gibson Songwriter deluxe, and my new favorite, a National tricone. My electrics don't get much play now but I got a Left Paul, Tele, and a couple of Strats. Just finished rebuilding a MIM strat. I put in Lace hot gold pickups and the fender mid-boost preamp. The closet I've heard to a do-it-all guitar.
Lol "Left Paul" I like that name. Never heard that one before...

My favorite guitars I own are probably

Guild GAD 30R (rosewood back/sides, sunburst),
1936-or-37 Gibson L-7 (was my great grandfather's, sunburst),
2008 Gibson SG Standard (Black on black)
Fender Telecaster Deluxe (MIM, 3-single-coil-pickups)

Unread 05-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #13
RichieT
2014 WK 

That L-7 must be one sweet sounding guitar. I had a Guild 6 string and 12 string 212. Didn't care for the 6. It seemed that the high end was a little too muted. The 12 string was awesome. I thought it sounded better than the higher end 512's that I played, at least till the bridgeplate loosened and the top started to rotate, bummer. I wound up trading the 2 Guilds for a Martin D28. I also picked up another Guild 12 string, a D25-12 sunburst, nice but not as good as the 212.

Unread 05-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #14
teague242

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieT
That L-7 must be one sweet sounding guitar. I had a Guild 6 string and 12 string 212. Didn't care for the 6. It seemed that the high end was a little too muted. The 12 string was awesome. I thought it sounded better than the higher end 512's that I played, at least till the bridgeplate loosened and the top started to rotate, bummer. I wound up trading the 2 Guilds for a Martin D28. I also picked up another Guild 12 string, a D25-12 sunburst, nice but not as good as the 212.
I am I love with that 212. Ever since I saw Tom Petty holding that guitar I have always wanted one. They are so beautiful in wine red... Cheap, but hard to find... I've looked at tons of 12 strings but I believe guild makes the best. My arsenal includes: Epiphone EJ200 ($400 but plays like $4000... By far my favorite) Gibson hummingbird (2011) Rickenbacker 330/12 As well as a few other cheap guitars I don't care to mention.... Next up is either a les Paul or a American strat. Probably a les Paul....

I listen to more Petty then anything, but 90s green day music is my second favorite... I'll listen to any kind of rock, and have found myself playing country a lot... Both old and "new".
teague242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #15
RichieT
2014 WK 

There's something about those old Guild 12's that can't be beat. I've tried a lot of different 12's but keep coming back to Guild, though I haven't found one to match that old F212. I like late 60's, early 70's classic rock but I'll listen to anything from folk to grunge to big bands to blues to reggae to bluegrass.... I play mostly acoustic blues, ragtime and folk. I got into people like Rev Gary Davis, Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller etc listening to Hot Tuna and David Bromberg. I also try to play a lot of Doc Watson, probably one the greatest guitarists who ever lived, but decent flatpicking is a little beyond me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.