Popular Bands that you think suck - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > Popular Bands that you think suck

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #46
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonfly View Post
A three year knows about syncopatation? Knows how to counterpoint a phrygian dominant scale melody over a hungarian minor chord progression? Knows how to play Polyrhythm in 3/32 meter at 220bpm? A three year old knows the difference between a Am7diminished arpeggio and a C#Msus9 arpeggio?

There are melodies, patterns, and complexities to be realized and appreciated if enough time is spent soaking it all in.
I understood all that! But it takes me forever and a day to do the class assignments though

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #47
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
I understood all that! But it takes me forever and a day to do the class assignments though
Nobody said being a real musician was easy. What kind of course are you taking.
TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #48
rugz31
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Pearl Jam.
How dare you! Pearl Jam is great, only second best grunge band to Alice in Chains.
rugz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #49
-ExDementia-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Pretty much all rap is awful. As a joke, myself and three other high-class white boys, made a 4 track rap demo in an afternoon to prove how easy and cliche it was. Well People liked it and took it completely seriously. We had to take down the myspace page because so many record companies were sending us messages :Laughing:
duuude I did something very similar lol, my cousin got into rapping all of the sudden, him and his friends record crap all the time. So I made my own beat and rap to show how easy and stupid it is and they thought it was good
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" [B]- George Carlin[/B]

[B][SIZE="3"]Click [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/search.php"]HERE[/URL] for the elusive search button everyone talks about.[/SIZE][/B]
-ExDementia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #50
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A three year knows about syncopatation? Knows how to counterpoint a phrygian dominant scale melody over a hungarian minor chord progression? Knows how to play Polyrhythm in 3/32 meter at 220bpm? A three year old knows the difference between a Am7diminished arpeggio and a C#Msus9 arpeggio?

There are melodies, patterns, and complexities to be realized and appreciated if enough time is spent soaking it all in.
That doesn't mean it sounds good.

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #51
1990offroadYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

metalica sucks...
1990offroadYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #52
Ubie
Wha?

Led Zepplin
Nirvana
Kenny mother ****ing G

I don't know much of what is being played on mainstream now. I got an HD receiver in the car and now all I bother to listen to is the classic country station with no commercials (not XM/Sirius, most radio stations around here have 2-3 stations per frequency). I don't think they play anything newer than about 1979.
Stock Jeep Club #26

--------------------
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #53
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

County Clerk: Many acts have come through: Icecapades, Tiny Toons, Kenny G.

Garth: Kenny G?
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #54
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooblyGoob View Post
That doesn't mean it sounds good.
prepare yourself, rant mode on.

The fallacy with your argument is that, the fundamental difference between what actually sounds good, and what you think sounds good, is relative. What actually sounds good is set forth by a complex system called music theory. What you think sounds good is based off what you've heard before, which is very little.

Because the majority of people who listen to the radio, aren't trained musicians, their conceptual idea of "sounding good" is flawed. Even popular musicians rely on simply "sounding good" and being "catchy" because its easy, and this has lead to the pitiful music industry we have today.

To compose something simply by "what sounds good to you", is to compose something you've heard before, because you thought it sounded good and have mentally taken note of it at some point. This is why you find so many songs are so similar, or exactly alike.

A basic understanding of fundamental music theory must be known to get out of this box. Once you learn what should and shouldn't be done, how you can use this with that, it allows music to grow more complex and evolve. And even sometimes learning the rules, allows you to know just how much to break the rules to create something new entirely.

I'm not saying that theirs this perfect formula or anything. Its not like math. I'm just saying that one has a greater musical arsenal to choose from. With more knowledge over all the possible notes and how the different combination of notes can have certain tones and bring out certain emotions, It allows for better expression of the idea the artist is trying to convey to his audience.

Everyone goes to school to learn English at some point. You learn about verbs and nouns and subjects and predicates and all that stuff. Nobody consciously thinks about this stuff anymore when we speak, we just blurt out stuff. But if you hadn't learned it, you wouldn't speak English very well.

Imagine for a second, if you only learned one way to write a sentence with a subject then a verb then a noun and a period. And you learned few basic words. And you refused to learn synonyms for words you already knew because you though you didn't need ten ways to say the same basic thing.

Your vocabulary and grammar would be very limited. Sure you could converse with people and they would know what you mean, but you wouldn't be able to be completely express yourself. Without having a higher vocabulary and a better knowledge of complex sentences, you wouldn't "sound good".

And when other people used words you didn't know, you wouldn't fully understand them and you wouldn't like it. It wouldn't "sound good" to you.
That's what its like in the world today. People hear musical "words" (notes, chords, scales), and they hear them put in compound sentences with commas and semi colons and subordinate clauses (phrases, progressions, meter) and they don't like them because they're too complex and they've never heard them before.

Following with the English to music example. Think of a great poet, lets take Shakespeare for notability. He could have reduced Romeo and Juliet to a mere few pages. But it just wouldn't be the same great masterpiece that English teachers drool over. Nobody would think it was as great if a three year old had written the exact same story. Its not just about what he wrote, but how he wrote it.

The level of detail and expression given by every word precisely chosen to best reflect the meaning, and paired perfectly with one another, such that, the unstressed and stressed alternate perfectly in lines of five and pairs of twos. I mean seriously, its beautiful.

Maybe its just me again thinking the whole world can appreciate it. You probably don't like Shakespeare because you never really studied poetry. You don't have any appreciation of how to write a poem like that. Its the same thing as music. People have been saying Shakespeare is great for years, but you don't like it. Its because your perception of good poetry is limited to "roses are red". Its relative.

rant mode off.
Unread 04-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #55
Comanche_

Quote:

But in the end, it sounds like someone screaming stuff that isnt words,while smashing drums with a guitar. There may be melody there, but it's lost in the sound of a guy holding a guitar haveing a siezure
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #56
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just don't enjoy music who's basic thematic elements are pretty much just "RAWR! ANGER!"
Shakespeare could've reduced Romeo and Juliet's basic theme to "Soooo hot! Want to touch the heiney..." and written it well, and beautifully, and used just as much of his talent as he actually did, but, in the end, that doesn't mean I'll like it just because it's a superb example of writing aptitude.
To me, music is more about the meaning of the song, and less about the technical skill displayed.

Utah Jeep Crew
Unread 04-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #57
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
But in the end, it sounds like someone screaming stuff that isnt words,while smashing drums with a guitar. There may be melody there, but it's lost in the sound of a guy holding a guitar haveing a siezure
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooblyGoob View Post
I just don't enjoy music who's basic thematic elements are pretty much just "RAWR! ANGER!"

To me, music is more about the meaning of the song, and less about the technical skill displayed.
First, not all metal bands scream. If you get use to it, its easy to hear the lyrics. But their are alot which sing, and sing well. Some sing really low and calm, some that just speak the words, some that dont sing at all, some bands that have girl singers that sound like opera sopranos, and some guys which can sing really high notes too, I mean theres alot of variety.

Second, ive never heard of anyone smashing their thousand dollar guitars into a thousand dollar drumsets. Seizure? What are you talking about.

Third not all metal band's songs are angry and violent. There are alot of slow mellow songs, and ballads.

And lyrical content is so wide to say that theres not meaning in any of it. It ranges from everything from love, sex, partying, lust, video games, poverty, recycling, castles, smoking weed, dying, fairies, abortion, christianity, vikings, heartbreak,growing older, war, riding horses, sailing, politics, slaying dragons, gun control, mythology, edgar allen poe, homer, shakespear, samuel taylor coleridge, the bible, elves, hot girls, lord of the rings, being bullied, mean people, depression, murderers, death penalty, technology, end of the world, begginging of the world, space, aliens, fighting, marriage problems, sibling rivalry, gays rights, nature, angles, cars, motorcycles, drinking problems, ..to name a few off my head.
Unread 04-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #58
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
First, not all metal bands scream. If you get use to it, its easy to hear the lyrics. But their are alot which sing, and sing well. Some sing really low and calm, some that just speak the words, some that dont sing at all, some bands that have girl singers that sound like opera sopranos, and some guys which can sing really high notes too, I mean theres alot of variety.

Second, ive never heard of anyone smashing their thousand dollar guitars into a thousand dollar drumsets. Seizure? What are you talking about.

Third not all metal band's songs are angry and violent. There are alot of slow mellow songs, and ballads.

And lyrical content is so wide to say that theres not meaning in any of it. It ranges from everything from love, sex, partying, lust, video games, poverty, recycling, castles, smoking weed, dying, fairies, abortion, christianity, vikings, heartbreak,growing older, war, riding horses, sailing, politics, slaying dragons, gun control, mythology, edgar allen poe, homer, shakespear, samuel taylor coleridge, the bible, elves, hot girls, lord of the rings, being bullied, mean people, depression, murderers, death penalty, technology, end of the world, begginging of the world, space, aliens, fighting, marriage problems, sibling rivalry, gays rights, nature, angles, cars, motorcycles, drinking problems, ..to name a few off my head.
Well, ya, but...
YOU'RE WRONG AND MY OPINION IS MORE RIGHT THAN YOUR OPINION!

Neener, neener.
Q.E.D.

Utah Jeep Crew
Unread 04-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #59
Comanche_

Quote:

Every song i've heard that i would call deathmetal sounds like someone just wailing away on their guitar with the destorsion turned all the way up, AKA, sounds like somone haveing a siezure with a guitar. It's not something i enjoy listening too, so mabey there are bands out there that actualy make decent music.
I dont like alot of metal bands for that reason. Screaming isnt what I would call singing.
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #60
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Every song i've heard that i would call deathmetal sounds like someone just wailing away on their guitar with the destorsion turned all the way up, AKA, sounds like somone haveing a siezure with a guitar. It's not something i enjoy listening too, so mabey there are bands out there that actualy make decent music. I dont like alot of metal bands for that reason. Screaming isnt what I would call singing.
Its true that within the traditional "death metal" subgenre most do scream. Honestly, I use to hate it once. Most people dont understand that Metal is the most diverse genre and has nearly 100 subgenres which are each unique of eachother. If you step into a cross-sub-genre like "progressive death metal", you find the elements of traditional death metal like heavy screaming and dark lyrics, and elements which are "progressive" or from a different genre. Bands like that may sing in one song, scream in another, or both in the same song. One example of that is Opeth.They have both heavy deep growling songs, and slow sad softly sung songs with acoustic guitar and piano, and some jazz influence. Opeth YouTube - Opeth - Isolation years

Last edited by TheDragonfly; 04-29-2010 at 03:43 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.