The Photography Questions Thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > The Photography Questions Thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #106
AlTheKillerr

one of the weddings is suppose to be very traditional wedding and the pastor(?) doesnt want any pictures during the ceremony, so afterwards i would have to set it all up again just to get the pictures id love the experience but id feel bad if i was the only one that they hired to take pictures and they came out bad. plus i have social anxiety so im really nervous about doing something like this but doing it would help me get over the anxiety. my dads a psycologist and never realized that my sister, myself, and my brother had this problem. my brother also has to deal with depression alot anyways back ontopic i still need to get out and shoot the prairie dogs here. ive been meaning to for what?? two weeks now? and still havent gotten out there. last night i was asked by the school to take pictures of the putt putt tourny we had here but no one played each floor was asked to build a section for the course and then there was a vote and the one that won got a pizza party. so thats all that happened. so i didnt really get anything worth while. i also have sooooo many ideas on stuff to do but im so limited because of living in the dorms. i cant build anything and i cant set up a "studio" but im transfering out of here back home (tx) so ill be able to finally be creative

AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #107
Rezneck
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
something that you guys might find exciting: i have had two different families approach me this week to do some weddings. however they are this summer when im suppose to be back in texas so im not sure if im going to do them. also i wouldnt know what to charge them if anything
If you do them, I'm sure you'll do them well.
Personally, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it but, was it me? I'd rather shoot macro of wild grizz tonsils.

Think about it. The happiest day of some woman's life and she want's everything perfect. She want's perfect memories. I've noticed over the years that women have a different eye for perfection than guys. No doubt, if I shot a wedding, her butt would be too big, and it would be my fault.

48 CJ-2A, Bone stock except it has Allstate locking hubs.
86 CJ-7, 4.0 HO, AX-15, D-30, AMC-20
84 CJ-7, YJ tub and fenders, 258 ci, T-176, D-30, D-44 Trutracs F/R, 4.27s, 33s
77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
Rezneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #108
AlTheKillerr

i agree with thedirt about tagging along with a photographer if you can. ive been tagging along with Duke Morse from austin tx and ive learned more from him than i have in the 6 or 7 classes i have taken.
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #109
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
If you do them, I'm sure you'll do them well.
Personally, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it but, was it me? I'd rather shoot macro of wild grizz tonsils.

Think about it. The happiest day of some woman's life and she want's everything perfect. She want's perfect memories. I've noticed over the years that women have a different eye for perfection than guys. No doubt, if I shot a wedding, her butt would be too big, and it would be my fault.

Unread 03-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #110
vajeepgirl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

Good luck![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=AlTheKiller;4951797]one of the weddings is suppose to be very traditional wedding and the pastor(?) doesnt want any pictures during the ceremony, so afterwards i would have to set it all up again just to get the pictures id love the experience but id feel bad if i was the only one that they hired to take pictures and they came out bad. plus i have social anxiety so im really nervous about doing something like this but doing it would help me get over the anxiety. my dads a psycologist and never realized that my sister, myself, and my brother had this problem. my brother also has to deal with depression alot anyways back ontopic i still need to get out and shoot the prairie dogs here. ive been meaning to for what?? two weeks now? and still havent gotten out there.

That's what I hate about weddings, portrait, etc. it's hard to figure out exactly the results they want...the prairie dogs would be lots more fun !!!
Unread 03-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #111
vajeepgirl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
Yeah, I mentioned this a few pages back, but that really is what makes digital so much more popular than film (in my opinion), once you buy the equipment, there really isn't much else that you need to invest in (outside of the usual cleaning, adjustment, etc). In the long run, digital is just so much more inexpensive than film. No development costs, no media costs, etc. I still prefer the feel of film though. The dynamic range is much larger, the noise has a different feel, the emulsion differs from film type to film type, etc. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but film just feels so much different than digital.

You sound like you have a bit of experience, but another recommendation (that someone else recommended too) is take a class. If there is a community college near you, their classes tend to be very cheap and not too involved. It'll teach you the ropes of exposure, rules of photography (rule of thirds, etc) and it'll sort of "force" you to get used to your camera. Plus, depending on the instructor, they may know a lot about the camera.

Another option (I'm not sure how feasible it is), is perhaps a photographer in your area would let you tag along for a day. If a local photographer is into shooting things other than portraits, like landscapes for example, maybe they'll take you with them out for a day and teach you a few things.

I'm still a student here at the university, studying mechanical engineering. I've taken one class just for fun, but had been involved in photography long before that. I started shooting on a Canon A-1 (film) with a 70-210mm Telephoto/Macro lens, 50mm prime, and 24mm wide angle. 35mm format. Now, I shoot on a Canon 400D with a 70-200mm f/4 "L" telephoto lens, 50mm f/1.8II prime, and the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 stock kit lens. I'm basically self taught, with the exception of that one class.

My last recommendation is to join a site like iStockPhoto. They have a very large user base and tons of photographers that are willing to help out. Plus, you get to make a few extra $$ on the side if someone buys your images .

Good luck!

I agree with film, I will always love my old film camera Canon Elan IIE but I love the new digital one for different reasons. Just got Nikon D80.

Have taken a couple non-credit classes at the community college, good but the range of abilities is so big...you never seem to get alot done. I love the idea of going out into the field with a prof.photographer. I'm going to look into that. And check out istockphoto.

Thanks for all the great advice. I will have to load in some pics for some thoughts and suggestions.
Unread 03-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #112
vajeepgirl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
I think I'm glad my wedding photographer was a girl...!!!!
Unread 03-15-2008, 01:23 AM   #113
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeepgirl View Post
I will have to load in some pics for some thoughts and suggestions.
yes please. when i have nothing to do ill go to flickr.com and just browse photos for hours. which is another good way to learn how to photograph different subjects
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #114
vajeepgirl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes i also love to browse photo sites and look at other peoples work.
Unread 03-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #115
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeepgirl View Post
Yes i also love to browse photo sites and look at other peoples work.
Here are a couple of friends of mine. Great shooters.
http://mikezamora.blogspot.com/

http://shupepartyofone.blogspot.com/
Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #116
vajeepgirl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwampler View Post
Here are a couple of friends of mine. Great shooters.
http://mikezamora.blogspot.com/

http://shupepartyofone.blogspot.com/
These are cool...
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #117
AlTheKillerr

why am i getting these white and black dots???
this was shot with my D40 with a 50-200mm lens
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #118
vajeepgirl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

Those are weird. Is it a date or time that didn't show up
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #119
AlTheKillerr

no they are all over ill post up the picture here in a sec
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:41 PM   #120
AlTheKillerr

my guess is that the sensor needs to be cleaned but i dont know

all the red circles are where i found these dots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.