The Photography Questions Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > The Photography Questions Thread

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #91
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
Any advice on what to look for in light meters? I'm looking to get a 180mm 2.8 and I expect I'll need a light meter. An old Kodak I used to have had a light meter built in.
You shoot Nikon right? That 180 is one of the sweetest lenses I have ever used. It's way sharper than anything else on the market.

Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #92
Rezneck
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwampler View Post
You shoot Nikon right? That 180 is one of the sweetest lenses I have ever used. It's way sharper than anything else on the market.

Yeah, I'm shooting a D40x. The 180 will be 270 effective on that camera. I'm trying to shoot wildlife in general and predators (coyotes, cats, and lions) in particular.

48 CJ-2A, Bone stock except it has Allstate locking hubs.
86 CJ-7, 4.0 HO, AX-15, D-30, AMC-20
84 CJ-7, YJ tub and fenders, 258 ci, T-176, D-30, D-44 Trutracs F/R, 4.27s, 33s
77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
Rezneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #93
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
I'm trying to shoot wildlife in general and predators (coyotes, cats, and lions) in particular.
I always wanted to set up a remote camera on a carcass and wait for predators to come and feast. I was thinking using a 17mm lens like 4 feet from the carcass and trigger it with radio remotes. Maybe even set up a couple of strobes nearby.
For telephoto wildlife, you should look into a 300 mm f/4.0 lens. It's as big as a flashlight, and sharp as hell. On a digital it's a 450 mm.
Unread 03-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #94
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwampler View Post
Hey Mr. Crom, I thought you might be interested in this. My assignment was to go to this meeting at a middle school cafeteria. The story was the lead for page 1, and I had to make the art strong enough to anchor the page.
Well, about two minutes into the meeting, they turned off the lights, and started up the powerpoint. There is nothing worse than having to photograph someone giving a powerpoint. What I did was set up one of my strobes on a light stand at about 6 1/2 feet high, zoomed in slightly and set on 1/16th power. I pointed it at the speaker from the side of the cafeteria. I then worked my way to the back of the group, and set my exposure for the screen. I used pocket wizard radio remotes to trip the strobe. I was planning to stick around after the meeting and get something casual, but I got called away after about 10 frames, and we had to go with what I had. Once again, not the greatest shot, but it held the front page.

nicely done. thats one thing i need to work on is lighting. ive only worked with it a couple of times but it was alot of fun. hopefully once im back in texas ill be able to work with it alot more
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #95
AlTheKillerr

why the hell am i getting this purple haze (hendrix reference ) in my photos?

Unread 03-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #96
vajeepgirl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool View Post
Wwwoooohooooooooo!!!!!!

The UPS man came! I finally have my new D80. It has one million and three buttons and knobs that I don't know the functions of. But I love it. It's a "reconditioned" factory demo, but I can't tell that it isn't brand new. By the way, not all ebayer camera stores are bad. I can recommend Cameta Camera as being professional and honest.

Now, I have to learn how to use it. It's a long shot from my old Minolta x700 and I didn't know that much about photography even when I was using that one. I've got a lot to learn.

I just have an 18-55mm "kit" lens for now, but I think it will keep me entertained until I can afford a couple of others I'm interested in (105mm micro and 70-300mm VR).
I hope you love it...I got that camera back in June and I love it...still learning it.
Unread 03-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #97
vajeepgirl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A question for the PROs on here...when an amateur like myself gets a new camera...what do you think is the best way to learn it's capabilites?? Nikon D80 for example.
Unread 03-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #98
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

i dont know if the D80s have it but my D40 has built in help menus. they come in handy some times...
Unread 03-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #99
AlTheKillerr

hmm thats quite interesting. i had no idea that it could be that in depth of a problem. i did have a UV filter on it as i was using my 18-55mm and i was to lazy to take it off. however i have noticed this before with the filter off i think.
Unread 03-14-2008, 12:28 AM   #100
AlTheKillerr

its actually a Nikkor (the one that came with the camera). i do have 55-200mm lens and i havent noticed it on that one but then again i havent shot alot with it yet.
Unread 03-14-2008, 04:59 AM   #101
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That purple looks like a side effect of overexposure. I also recommend stopping down the aperture. The first generation NC 2000 digitals did that all the time. Frustrating as hell, but it made me fine tune my exposure to within 1/4 of a stop and even then the purple showed up near the lighter parts of the photo.
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #102
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
Oh! You changed your username.. I thought you were someone else .
yeah i get bored with the same thing after awhile so i change it around quite a bit

-jtwampler, thanks for more info on it
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #103
vajeepgirl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

[QUOTE=thedirt;4947882]Take it out and shoot with it! Shoot all day. No matter how much you read and read and read, it doesn't come close to actually being out there and shooting with it.

Also, don't put it in automatic mode. If you aren't familiar with exposure, aperture, shutter speed, depth of field, ISO, etc, put it in fully manual mode and have at it. If you are curious about what each individual one does, you can always put it in Aperture Priority mode (Av) or Shutter Speed Priority mode (Tv) and then watch what happens to the other as you change it.

For example, if you put it in Av mode, focus on an object, and stop down the lens (make the f/number smaller, meaning the number itself gets bigger) watch what happens to the shutter speed. Take a few photos at different apertures and see what happens to the depth of field.

Take your manual with you just in case you get stumped, but don't rely on it to teach you how to shoot with the camera.

Have fun![/QUOTE

Okay great...that's what I try to do as much as possible!!! Digital has really helped me learn because I can see the effects right away and not what to do and not do. Thanks for the help...I could shoot and shoot...I never get tired of photography. So my next question for you Pro's what kinds of backgrounds do you have to get to where you are now? I would love to do what you do.
Unread 03-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #104
AlTheKillerr

my guess would be something similar to what i currently do. take some classes, go out and shoot as much as possible, then apply to some jobs. i could be wrong though

something that you guys might find exciting: i have had two different families approach me this week to do some weddings. however they are this summer when im suppose to be back in texas so im not sure if im going to do them. also i wouldnt know what to charge them if anything

its nice to see so many people on here willing to talk photography. i could shoot and talk photography all day.
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #105
vajeepgirl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

[QUOTE=AlTheKiller;4951517

something that you guys might find exciting: i have had two different families approach me this week to do some weddings. however they are this summer when im suppose to be back in texas so im not sure if im going to do them. also i wouldnt know what to charge them if anything

its nice to see so many people on here willing to talk photography. i could shoot and talk photography all day.[/QUOTE]

I actually have done a couple weddings, it was fun but not my favorite thing. Everybody is so different in what they wanted. But it was really good experience.

It's great to find a site that has such diverse topics and people...Jeep people are great. I love photography and love to learn from other people's experience.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.