The Photography Questions Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > The Photography Questions Thread

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #61
AlTheKillerr

thats a sweet cannon though. to bad its not a nikkon....

sorry stupid camera joke

AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #62
AlTheKillerr

yay! i was asked by the school to shoot the Lacrosse game this saturday! should be fun

any tips?????
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #63
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crom View Post
yay! i was asked by the school to shoot the Lacrosse game this saturday! should be fun

any tips?????
fast shutter speed.... and a zoom lens
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #64
AlTheKillerr

well i have a 50-200mm lens and my shutter speed should be quick enough
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #65
AlTheKillerr

ive got a tripod, extra memory, and an extra battery

the lens is 1:4-5.6G ED
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:42 AM   #66
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
If you can get your hands on either a monopod or a tripod, that'd be great. The monopod is preferred, but if you don't have one, you can extend one of the legs of the tripod so it is resting on the ground (not all three). It'll help remove any excess vibrations do to photographer error but still give you enough room to move around easily.
Every pro I know including me gets a chuckle when we see an amateur with a little 200mm lens on a mono-pod. The reason I use a monopod is because my 400mm weighs around 25 pounds and my 300mm weighs 15 pounds. It would wear me out to hand hold them for long. I rarely use a monopod on anything less than a 300mm. You should be able to hand hold a 200mm fine if you keep the shutter above 1/250th. Sometimes when I'm shooting a play in low light I might put my 80-200 on a monopod, but I'm shooting at 1/30th or less. A monopod can restrict your movements and it takes some practice to keep the frame straight. You actually have to slightly rotate the camera as you pan to follow the action.

For hand holding a camera, make sure your left arm is tucked against your body, and the camera is snug to your face. That is called the triangle of support. When you are going to fire the shutter, take a breath, hold it, then let half of the air out-hold it and squeeze the release. It's the same as shooting a firearm.
Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #67
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
With all do respect, Mr. Professional, a tripod is recommended for any shutter speed slower than 1 / twice or three times the focal length. Assuming he has a 1.6x cropped body, that means his shutter speed would have to be no less than 1/640 but preferably 1/960 or faster.

Go ahead and have your 'chuckles', but in the end, you'll be the only "professional" chuckling. There is absolutely no reason not to use a tripod or monopod. All the professional photographers I have shot with (yeah, you're not the only pro on here ) all have shot with a tripod in broad daylight. You're not going to miss the shot because you have a monopod. A tripod, maybe if you aren't quick with it, but that is going to be your fault for not being prepared before hand.

Not to mention that with his body and a majority of the other bodies on the market, turning up the ISO just isn't a solution to low light situations. It'll generate simply too much noise to be useful.

I'm sure hand holding your camera at those sorts of shutter speeds will give you good enough shots that you're mom and girlfriend will say to you "wow, amazing photographs", but as soon as you take them to your editor or whatever sort of boss you have, it'll be shot down.
If you want to use a monopod, by all means do so, I was just trying to give you some insight. No offense intended my friend.
To clarify, a monopod only does you any good if you know how to use it for the situation. When you are tracking with a moving subject, unless you are moving your feet around the monopod, you are rotating your body and keeping your feet planted. That causes the monopod to angle slightly, causing your frame to be crooked unless you adjust as you pan. If the monopod is attached to the camera, that adjustment is impossible. If the monopod is attached to a lens with a rotating collar, you can make the adjustment with practice. As for shooting a fast paced game like lacrosse with a tripod, good luck with that. Tripod too have their place, but in 20 years of covering NCAA sports, I have never seen a tripod on a field/court.
Please leave my mom and girlfriend out of this. I have photographs published every day. I'm not making this up for my own amusement. I am trying to give you guys the benefit of my experience, but if you don't want it, that's cool too.
FYI....I would never laugh at your monopod. What I was saying was that amateurs see us with our big lenses on monopods, and think that a monopod with significantly help them, when most times, it won't. For low light, there are a few tricks with a strobe you can use to get shots if the lens is too slow.
Unread 03-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #68
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

But seriously don't take my word for anything...... I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Unread 03-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #69
AlTheKillerr

thanks for the help guys! i just have to clear it with the woman since she will be up here that weekend. im not sure if shell enjoy watching me take pictures or not
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #70
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh, I thought you were being condescending. The way you were talking about chuckling at (what I thought you were referring to us as) "amateurs" with our 200mm lenses and our monopods I interpreted as condescending. Whoops!

And my comment about the tripod was that if he doesn't have a tripod handy, just extend one of the legs (therefore turning it into a makeshift monopod). I too have never seen a tripod used at a sporting event where fast paced action was going on, on the other hand, I see monopods used all the time.

To the OP though, another trick to steady the camera is to hook the tripod up to the body (or lens if your lens has a mount, mine does) and just let it hang. Don't extend it. The extra weight and leverage will help to steady the shots some.

I agree though that a lot of the "amateurs" out there see us with our monopods and think that it will dramatically improve the quality of the photos. It won't, but what it will do is help to drastically reduce the shake of the camera due to unsteady hands. That shake gets increasingly worse the longer the focal length gets. A monopod won't eliminate it, but it will help.

I'll try to leave your girlfriend and mother out of it next time !

On another note, I'm shooting at a basketball game tomorrow night!
I'm shooting baseball. Yea!, 30 degree baseball. College baseball has a screwed up season. I'll take basketball every time. The weather is always the same on a basketball court.
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #71
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwampler View Post
But seriously don't take my word for anything...... I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Well...that's pretty obvious, the way you cut the ump out of the photo...you should've used a tripod.

(I plead guilty to using a monopod with a 70-300 zoom; it really does minimize camera movement for me. But I don't shoot sports (other than the grandkids soccer games ) so it doesn't get in my way. And I never mind giving folks a good chuckle...).

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #72
Rezneck
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwampler View Post
Here is what to look for in used Nikkor glass. They need to be AI or converted to AI. That means aperture indexed. If it's not AI, it will not fit correctly. The faster the lens, the more versatile it is, so look for lower f-stops-(1.8/2.0/2.8). I would start with a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Then add a 105 f/2.5 and a 180 f/2.8 for telephoto. When you want wider look for a 35 f/2.0 or a 24 f/2.8.
What's your thoughts on a manual focus Nikon Nikkor 200mm 2.0 AiS.
Does the "AiS" mean anything or is the lower case "i" a typo?

Another thing. Is ED glass important for digital.

48 CJ-2A, Bone stock except it has Allstate locking hubs.
86 CJ-7, 4.0 HO, AX-15, D-30, AMC-20
84 CJ-7, YJ tub and fenders, 258 ci, T-176, D-30, D-44 Trutracs F/R, 4.27s, 33s
77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
Rezneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #73
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a shot from yesterday, and is indicative of the everyday news work I do sans monopod. This guy from the Marshal Islands had just avoided the death penalty by pleading guilty to raping and murdering a 10 year old girl. He had been avoiding my lens for about 20 minutes, so when he had to turn my way, I had to be ready as my window of opportunity was about four seconds. The light in the courtroom is bad but predictible. I can set my exposure at the office before I ever go to court. ISO 1000, 1/100 shutter at f/2.8 with a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 set at 200mm, color balance on fluorescent.

I left the deputy on the left to show that he was going right into the waiting arms of the law.
Not the sharpest photo I ever took, but it ran page one.
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #74
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
What's your thoughts on a manual focus Nikon Nikkor 200mm 2.0 AiS.
Does the "AiS" mean anything or is the lower case "i" a typo?

Another thing. Is ED glass important for digital.
If you can find one for under $3K scoop it up. That is one sweet lens. I've only seen one of them and it was beat to hell.
I heard cinematographers snap them up because they are so sharp and bright.
ED is a coating on the glass and does fine on digital. I think my digital looks better with my old lenses. Why do you ask about that lens?

Here is an article about it.http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kor/200mma.htm
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #75
Rezneck
1984 CJ7 

One listed on E-Bay.

48 CJ-2A, Bone stock except it has Allstate locking hubs.
86 CJ-7, 4.0 HO, AX-15, D-30, AMC-20
84 CJ-7, YJ tub and fenders, 258 ci, T-176, D-30, D-44 Trutracs F/R, 4.27s, 33s
77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
Rezneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.