The Photography Questions Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > The Photography Questions Thread

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 03-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #46
AlTheKillerr

hahahah awesome! glad to hear you were finally able to get it.

im also jealous

AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 12:29 AM   #47
AlTheKillerr

i was wondering if someone could go to my flickr site and look in the Random set and tell me what kinds of sets i could create with the pictures in there. im not really sure what to catagorize them as
Unread 03-02-2008, 12:42 AM   #48
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crom View Post
i was wondering if someone could go to my flickr site and look in the Random set and tell me what kinds of sets i could create with the pictures in there. im not really sure what to catagorize them as

I'd call them "art" or "artistic" or "artsy" or something along those lines.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 12:47 AM   #49
AlTheKillerr

thanks! ill go ahead and change that around

Edit: its nice to finally have a pro account on there. it feels so much more organized
Unread 03-02-2008, 08:03 AM   #50
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The vignetting is a problem with that Nikon lens. Here is a pretty comprehensive review that mentions the problem.
http://www.bythom.com/55200lens.htm
For $250 you get what you pay for. Just like anything else, to get pro results, you have to drop some serious coin on pro gear. My cheapest lens cost nearly $1K.
Or buy some used manual focus gear from the 1980's, learn how to focus and set an aperture and enjoy pro quality results at a discount.
Here is a shot I just took of my dog Scout. I used a Nikon D2hs digital camera with a 105 f/2.5 Nikkor lens circa. 1984. 1/500 shutter at f/5.6, 400 ISO. That particular lens is considered one of the sharpest, brightest lenses ever made.

This is shot on fine .jpg mode and worked with basic levels and scaled down a bit with iphoto.
There are a lot of good quality used Nikkor lenses on ebay and in camera stores and pawn shops everywhere.
Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #51
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is what to look for in used Nikkor glass. They need to be AI or converted to AI. That means aperture indexed. If it's not AI, it will not fit correctly. The faster the lens, the more versatile it is, so look for lower f-stops-(1.8/2.0/2.8). I would start with a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Then add a 105 f/2.5 and a 180 f/2.8 for telephoto. When you want wider look for a 35 f/2.0 or a 24 f/2.8. Fixed focal length lenses are much sharper than zooms. Changing position for the right framing makes you look at your subject differently and can lead to better composition. In my opinion, zoom lenses make lazy photographers if you let them. Nothing can substitute getting your feet in different positions. What I call the foot zoom.
Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #52
actionplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwampler View Post
Or buy some used manual focus gear from the 1980's, learn how to focus and set an aperture and enjoy pro quality results at a discount.
Listen to this man, he gives good advice.
actionplant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 03:24 AM   #53
AlTheKillerr

ill have to poke around at the pawn shop tomorrow

i also thought of a cool series to do and i have nothing to write with so im posting here to remind myself. i wont post exactly what it is though

LT (if you can guess it ill tell you what it is)
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #54
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
The money goes into the lenses, not the body. A body is disposable, so to speak, but the lenses last decades (if not longer). Once you have a nice lens collection, then go for the nicer bodies. Not to mention that the higher end bodies will show all the faults in the cheaper lenses.

I read this quote somewhere and it really holds true: If you put a $100 lens on an $8000 body, it will perform as well as a $100 camera, but if you put an $8000 lens on a $500 body, it'll blow you away.

A lot of things go into producing a good image, but if your glass is bad, you might as well kiss the photo goodbye.
true but 3k for a camera setup to take pictures of your kids? thats way over kill. she could spend half as much and still get wonderful results.

you are somewhat on the right track with the my new project.
Unread 03-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #55
AlTheKillerr

thanks for recomendation. ill let her know tomorrow when i see her.

id say you were closer with your first guess. whats Lomographic Tendencies???

this project may actually have a name already for all i know. but when i tried finding things on it i couldnt
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #56
AlTheKillerr

oooooooooooooooooh ok ive seen alot of that. very cool stuff. never knew how it was done. i was going to go shoot the prairy dogs today but its still cold tomorrow its suppose to be ~60 out
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #57
UPSucks
GO BIG RED!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

So I was wheelin' this weekend and a question came to mind. I let one of my buddies take some shots of my Jeep with my camera. I know it isn't a problem this time, but who do the photographs technically belong to since he took the pictures?

I also have the same lens that you have, and it does the same thing with the lighting! You can see it really good in this picture. I thought I was doing something wrong. Which I am still not ruling out.

Unread 03-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #58
AlTheKillerr

id say that the pictures he took belong to him from a legal point of view but im no laywer so what do i know
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #59
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSucks View Post
So I was wheelin' this weekend and a question came to mind. I let one of my buddies take some shots of my Jeep with my camera. I know it isn't a problem this time, but who do the photographs technically belong to since he took the pictures?
He does, why do you ask? Are you selling them? If not, it doesn't really matter.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #60
UPSucks
GO BIG RED!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
He does, why do you ask? Are you selling them? If not, it doesn't really matter.
Nope,,,that is why I said it isn't a problem this time.

I really doubt I'll ever have pictures that are that good, but if I lent my camera to the right person!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.