The Photography Questions Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > The Photography Questions Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #31
AlTheKillerr

film related question:

my boss was telling me she was trying to get pictures of her son playing baseball and the pictures were coming out blurry (her son becuase of his movement). i asked what speed of film she was using and she said 400. i told her that i think she needs to use a faster film than that but i wasnt sure. can someone point me in the right direction?

AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #32
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Absolutely-400 speed film is too slow to catch quick movements. If she's using the typical point and shoot, she can get 800 speed film from Kodak (I think Fuji makes it also). It's very fogiving and is good in low light. Should be just the ticket.

I used to sell photography equipment prior to going to nursing school.
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #33
AlTheKillerr

she actually has a Canon SLR. i was thinking 1200 but didnt want to say anything since its been quite a few years since ive done anything with film. ill let her know tonight
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #34
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If she's got that she could definately go with a higher film speed just to be on the safe side (don't know how easy it is to get 1200). Also, the F stop on the lens would make a difference, if I recall correctly. Isn't it the lower the F stop the higher the blur factor? Can't remember.

Noticed you went back to your old avitar! Did you get sick of the bus? My son enjoyed it
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #35
AlTheKillerr

no i didnt get sick of it at all. its still in my plans for when i get a real bus. i just like changing things up all the time. the higher the f-stop the less light will be let in. so yes the lower it is youll get more blur
Unread 02-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #36
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

She needs a high shutter speed to avoid subject motion. The film speed can be low if it's a bright, sunny day, but needs to be high in low light. I might start a baseball game at 200 ASA and end up shooting at 1600 ASA as the sun sets.
The aperture controls depth of field. An f-stop of 1.8 will have about 1/8 of an inch in focus, whereas an f-stop of 32 will have everything from 2 feet away to the horizon in focus.
Photography is adjusting the time(shutter speed) and amount (f-stop) of light hits your film or CCD.
Hope that helps.
Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #37
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crom View Post
film related question:

my boss was telling me she was trying to get pictures of her son playing baseball and the pictures were coming out blurry...i asked what speed of film she was using and she said 400.
Need faster shutter speed to stop action; requires larger aperture on lens to allow in more light to allow for faster shutter speed.

However, eventually you reach a point where the shutter is wide open and there's still movement. (Also wide open will affect how much "depth of field" there is, that is, how much of the photo is in focus. Generally shooting a large aperture will mean that objects distant from the subject may not be in focus. If she focuses on her kid at the plate the 3rd baseman in the background may be out of focus).

You can increase the sensitivity of the film (by using faster film), allowing you to increase the shutter speed even more.

However - doubling the film speed only gets you a 1 stop advantage; if you were shooting ISO 400 film with the lens wide open using 1/250 shutter speed, going to ISO 800 film will allow you to to shoot at 1/500 shutter speed. That may, or may not be enough to stop motion.

Doubling the film speed has penalties in grain - the faster the film (all else being equal) the more grain there may be in any enlargements.

(One of the advantages of DSLR's - you can change the "ISO" on the fly w/o changing rolls of film).

The first place to look is at her lens - how fast is it? If she's shooting one of the ubiquitous 70-200 mm zooms with a max aperture of 4.5, she's handicapping herself out of the gate. Put in a faster lens (say, 2.8) and you can shoot at a higher shutter speed, stopping more motion.

She can, as you suggested, move to a faster film; if she's not looking at extreme (over 8x10) enlargements then grain may not be an issue.

Also, she can set the camera ISO at 800 even if she's using 400 speed film, and tell the lab to push the roll 1 stop; however, this would apply to the entire roll of film, not just the ones she takes at the ballpark. It takes some practice and a decent lab.

Assuming she's not willing to invest in a new lens, has no decent lab, and has only "slow" film with her, she may be able to "cheat" a bit by using a flash on the camera (note you can't use this trick from the last row in the bleachers - but from closer range it can work magic. Sometimes.)

Checkout http://digitalheman.blogspot.com/200...otography.html which is source of quote below:

"The third example of using flash is to stop motion. Because the duration of a typical flash is very short (anywhere from 1/1000 to 1/50000 of a second) it can be used in combination with a slower shutter speed to freeze the action in a frame."

But realistically - ISO 400 is pretty doggone fast, should be fast enough for outdoor daylight ballgames. I'd recommend that she put her camera on full manual, open the lens up to the max aperture and then set the shutter speed to whatever her light meter recommends.

And shoot from a tripod for a few shots - her "motion" blur may turn out to be camera shake.

HTH

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #38
AlTheKillerr

sadly all of this would be waaaaaaaaaay over her head. she sets the camera on the sports setting and thats about it. any more tech to it and shell be lost. she is planning on going digital here in a couple weeks because her daughter is getting married so ive been trying to teach her how to use my camera. she was at some camera store and the people there were trying to sell her a $3000 dollar setup i told her she should look into a d40/d40x and invest in a sweet lens/lenses. but tomorrow i might be over at hers for dinner so ill see if i can sit and talk to her and try to explain everything. im going to try and get her to actually try shooting with my camera. last time i was talking to her she didnt want to touch it

today while working at a new office they have a bunch of photos from a photographer (Andy Cooper i think it was) and they were beautiful. im going to try and find the link to his website so you guys can check out the pictures.

also i had another idea. i was thinking that we could also use this thread as a critique as well. i love the other post a photo thread but for the most part people just say oh thats cool. and i know id like people to critique my work so that i know what i should try doing next time.

EDIT: found it.
name: Andy Cook
http://www.rockymountainreflections.com/
Unread 03-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #39
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You ever been here: http://www.dgrin.com/

Lots of great photography help over there. I use to be there more than here, now I'm here more than there.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #40
AlTheKillerr

awesome thanks for the link

i was using a photo site for a while but it was way to slow. not enough people were on.

Edit: does anyone know of any kind of scams from flickr? i just got a friend request from some guy and i was looking through his pictures and it looks like he just took pictures from his computer or tv screen.

heres a link to one of the pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mayte_n...n/photostream/

Last edited by AlTheKillerr; 03-01-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Unread 03-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #41
Rezneck
1984 CJ7 

Today was a nice day so I went out to a black-footed ferret area. I didn't see any ferrets but I took some pics of some prairie dogs and one of those larks that hang around. All of those pics where the ground fills the frame seem to be lighter in the center of than around the edges. What causes that?

This is one of the pics I took of the lark. It's unedited except that I converted it to JPEG and resized. The lightness in the center is more noticable in the RAW.

ISO-200
Nikon 55-200
Focal Length- 200
1/1000sec F/5.6

The only thing I set was the ISO. The rest was on auto.

48 CJ-2A, Bone stock except it has Allstate locking hubs.
86 CJ-7, 4.0 HO, AX-15, D-30, AMC-20
84 CJ-7, YJ tub and fenders, 258 ci, T-176, D-30, D-44 Trutracs F/R, 4.27s, 33s
77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
Rezneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #42
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
Today was a nice day so I went out to a black-footed ferret area. I didn't see any ferrets but I took some pics of some prairie dogs and one of those larks that hang around. All of those pics where the ground fills the frame seem to be lighter in the center of than around the edges. What causes that?

This is one of the pics I took of the lark. It's unedited except that I converted it to JPEG and resized. The lightness in the center is more noticable in the RAW.

ISO-200
Nikon 55-200
Focal Length- 200
1/1000sec F/5.6

The only thing I set was the ISO. The rest was on auto.
i have the same lens and was wondering that as well. you can really see it in this picture:

in the RAW unedited picture you cant really tell but once i started to mess with the levels it really came out as you can tell.
Unread 03-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #43
Rezneck
1984 CJ7 

^^^^^^^^^^
I just thought, I was shooting through a UV filter. Might it be?

48 CJ-2A, Bone stock except it has Allstate locking hubs.
86 CJ-7, 4.0 HO, AX-15, D-30, AMC-20
84 CJ-7, YJ tub and fenders, 258 ci, T-176, D-30, D-44 Trutracs F/R, 4.27s, 33s
77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
Rezneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #44
AlTheKillerr

maybe so because i was to that day
Unread 03-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #45
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

I don't have a photography question. I have a photography statement:

I FINALLY ORDERED MY FRIGGIN' CAMERA!

I've been saving my pennies and selling every useless piece of junk I own for the last few weeks to be able to buy a new digital camera. So, by the end of this week I should have my very own Nikon D80 and 18-55mm lense. I can't wait. Now I need to start saving for more lenses........... I do have an extra kidney.............

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.