The Photography Questions Thread - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > The Photography Questions Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #211
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwampler View Post
It feels a lot like my D2hs. And with the battery it performs as well too.
That little built in flash can be used to trigger the SB800, but I use pocket wizards for remote strobes so that feature is useless to me. I hit the manual release accidentally so a piece of gaffers tape will fix that.
I want to see some shots.

Only shots around here right now involve Johnnie Walker and ice .

I'll see if I can come up with something tomorrow that's worth posting. So far I have photos of my living room and dog; I gotta get out more .

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels. - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #212
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrVette View Post
Only shots around here right now involve Johnnie Walker and ice .

I'll see if I can come up with something tomorrow that's worth posting. So far I have photos of my living room and dog; I gotta get out more .

That's hilarious....I took pics of my dog too....here's one.

Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #213
AlTheKillerr

ok so im wanting to do some star trails tonight and reading through my manuel and i have it on bulb as long as i am pressing on the button the shutter will stay open untill i release it. i dont know if i can hold the button for 35-50 minutes so is there i way i can get it to open and stay open till i press the button again? if not my finger is going to be tired

im more worried about camera shake

Edit: yeah its going to be on a tripod
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #214
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
ok so im wanting to do some star trails tonight and reading through my manuel and i have it on bulb as long as i am pressing on the button the shutter will stay open untill i release it. i dont know if i can hold the button for 35-50 minutes so is there i way i can get it to open and stay open till i press the button again? if not my finger is going to be tired

im more worried about camera shake

Edit: yeah its going to be on a tripod
I don't think so. The only way I've been able to do it without a shutter release is by setting the timer. But, I don't think the timer can be used with the bulb setting. It just reverts back to some other shutter speed instead of leaving the shutter open. So, without a shutter release, I believe the longest exposure you can take (hands free) is 30 seconds.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #215
AlTheKillerr

damn, looks like im going to be having some finger cramps in the morning

maybe some duct tape will help out
Unread 04-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #216
AlTheKillerr

Star Trails + me = FAIL!

boy that turned out to be an hour of fail my duct tape worked just fine but there were to many lights and not only that but it seems i may have some dust on my CCD already and i cant find my cleaning clothe to clean my lens. not a good night in the world of photography for me
Unread 04-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #217
AlTheKillerr

yeah i need to get a remote. it was just way to bright on campus for it which i should realized. i do beleive you can get some stuff so that you can hook it up and control it from your computer but i havent really looked into it yet. my D80 did come with a TV hook up which i thought was kinda cool im just bummed that i didnt get the picture i wanted. maybe tomorrow ill take some pictures of the ducks in the park assuming that there are any
Unread 04-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #218
Rezneck
1984 CJ7 

Get the remote. They don't cost that much. It's useful for other things too. I didn't realize the shutter button had to be held for the duration. I suppose I guy could rig up a rubber band somehow in a pinch. Too much moon for star shots right now anyway.

48 CJ-2A, Bone stock except it has Allstate locking hubs.
86 CJ-7, 4.0 HO, AX-15, D-30, AMC-20
84 CJ-7, YJ tub and fenders, 258 ci, T-176, D-30, D-44 Trutracs F/R, 4.27s, 33s
77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
Rezneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #219
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
yeah i need to get a remote...
Although there are third party brands, if you want Nikon they're about $60:

http://www.amazon.com/NIKON-MC30-Rem...8701295&sr=8-1

Star trails around my house not easily doable - too much ambient light from the city.

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels. - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

Unread 04-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #220
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwampler View Post

That's hilarious....
Finally got out of church.

Nikon D300, 18-200 VR lens.

Things that worked -

3200 ISO. Not that there isn't noise, but that it was available and usable .

"Motor" drive - hold down the button, burn up a card. Really quickly. Kids blink during exposure? No problem. Pick out the one that they had their eyes open out of the 12 you took in 2 seconds.

Things that didn't -

18-200 VR lens.

I have to get faster glass. The 18-200 is a good walkin' around lens - if you're walkin' around Disney World or Cedar Point and only want one lens to haul this is a good candidate. But today I needed more speed than the 3.5 max this lens will give. I've got the 50mm 1.8 - but I wasn't allowed to get up and move around to get shots, and no flashes were allowed; in addition the church is not well lighted. Tough shooting, and a faster lens would have made things easier.

Live View -

I'd not tried it ahead of the shoot (shame on me ) but decided to give it a go; I'm doing something wrong in the setup (too long to 'splain here) and will have to get out the manual to see where I'm goofing up.

I've still got to wade through the shots, and won't be posting because they are mostly of my kids and grandkids who have already let me know they don't want to be posted....

But I took one of the cross behind the altar. To appreciate the job the camera and lens tried to do you'd have to see the ambient lighting. I shot .jpg L fine rather than RAW and the shot attached has been reduced to fit the 102 K limit for uploading. No adjustments in Elements made, this is straight out of the camera.

Overall the camera did very well; I think it does need a bit of bottom ballast with this lens (if I'd had the Speedlite mounted it would have moved more weight towards the back but I didn't have it); the battery grip coming in tomorrow looks like maybe a good idea after all.

One note that was funny - the priest took individual photos with the kids after the ceremony. The relatives all lined up with their point 'n shoots, and at that point the ban on flashes was lifted. I didn't bring the SB600 and after cranking in 1/3 exposure I got a pretty good exposure reading so didn't bother with the little built in flash. When I got my turn I had the continous shooting to "fast" and held down the trigger for a burst of eight. The priest was "I'm sorry, you're flash didn't go off; should we do it again?"

But I've got to look at some faster glass when the budget allows.
cross-large-.jpg  

Unread 04-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #221
AlTheKillerr

nice

i checked out the park today and there were no ducks! what kind of park doesnt have ducks??
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #222
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Although there are third party brands, if you want Nikon they're about $60:

http://www.amazon.com/NIKON-MC30-Rem...8701295&sr=8-1

Star trails around my house not easily doable - too much ambient light from the city.
That remote won't work with a D80.

This is the Nikon brand shutter release that fits a D80: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-MC-DC1-R...8739810&sr=8-1

Only about $25.

Unread 04-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #223
AlTheKillerr

im still in Co. and the weather is beautiful. theres actually a big pond and a river walk in town and not a single duck. maybe i just went at the wrong time of day or something. storm pictures would be awesome. id do some but this town doesnt get very many. i think we average 300 days of cloudless sunshine here. its actually kinda boring. what lens did you use for the moon pic? i want to get my D80 setup to my telescope this summer for some moon shots.
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #224
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Thanks! I had no idea Nikon had anything that sells for 25 bucks!

Unread 04-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #225
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks! I had no idea Nikon had anything that sells for 25 bucks!

Yeah, no kidding. I'm sure it's made by some company in china or somewhere and then they slap their name on it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.