The Photography Questions Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > The Photography Questions Thread

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #151
Rezneck
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwampler View Post
My boss told me a few days ago that my D300 is on the way. I get to keep my D2hs as well. It will be cool to shoot two cameras again.
I was looking at that D300 on Nikon's website just a couple days ago. It won't happen for me. I need to shore up my lens inventory first anyway. I'll keep shooting my D40x until I ruin it, then I'll look for something more durable.

48 CJ-2A, Bone stock except it has Allstate locking hubs.
86 CJ-7, 4.0 HO, AX-15, D-30, AMC-20
84 CJ-7, YJ tub and fenders, 258 ci, T-176, D-30, D-44 Trutracs F/R, 4.27s, 33s
77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
Rezneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #152
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
well my D40 is sold and i shall be getting a D80 in a few days

Sweet! I love mine. I REALLY wanted a D200, but being poor, I settled on a D80.

I just ordered a new old lens. I'm broke but I wanted a tele-zoom to play with this summer. I ordered a Nikon 70-210mm f4-5.6 D. It gets a lot of good reviews. It's supposed to be a decent lens for the money. I only paid $177 for it from B&H. Granted, it's probably 15 years old, but I'm still excited about it. I should have it Friday.

I'll get something nicer one of these days, but since I'm still learning technique anyway, it should keep me busy for a while.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #153
Camo Deere
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This should be a good place to ask this question. I'm looking to get into Photography as a hobby now, what would be the best beginner camera that is pretty inexpensive? If you need any other info, let me know, I don't know much about photography, but would like to get into it.

Tomorrow I will have to read through this thread.

Thanks.
Camo Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #154
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo Deere View Post
This should be a good place to ask this question. I'm looking to get into Photography as a hobby now, what would be the best beginner camera that is pretty inexpensive? If you need any other info, let me know, I don't know much about photography, but would like to get into it.

Tomorrow I will have to read through this thread.

Thanks.
Depends on what is "inexpensive" to you. Pretty much anyone who is at all serious about photography will want an "SLR" type camera. I'm assuming you want a digital? That would make it a "DSLR".

There are a lot of brands, but I'll stick with the two most common - Nikon and Canon. Nikon's D40 is their most economical digital SLR and Canon make the "Rebel XT" or XTi that are in the same general price range. You can probably get a used D40 with the "kit" 18-55mm lens for around $400-450. Maybe even less -- the prices are falling.

The most important part of photography (and expensive) is lenses. The problem with the D40 is that it doesn't allow you to use a lot of Nikon's autofocus lenses which limits your options. But, with the lenses that are available, it will take photos as well as any other camera (unless you're really getting into the professional side - sports, ect.).

If you don't want to spend $400, you may look into "point and shoot" cameras, but I don't know anything about them. They'll take good "regular" photos, but your creativity is severely limited.

If you don't want digital, you can get camera bodies much cheaper. You'll still have to pay the same prices for lenses though, unless you want fully manual ones.

If you have more to spend, the sky is the limit. I love my Nikon D80, but it's really just one step up from the D40. I paid around $800 for mine which was a "refurbished factory display" with an inexpensive lens. It just goes up from there.

There are also a lot of other brands to choose from, but Nikon and Canon lenses and service is readily available almost everywhere.

It's a lot of fun, but the main thing you should remember is that your camera is only as good as the lens you put on it. Right now, mine are mediocre, but capable.

Unread 04-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #155
Camo Deere
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks a lot for that. Well, I want to start small, very small, and work my way up. The pictures will only be for fun, but when I get into Jeeping more I would like to take some action shots, plus shots of my brother's Vette, animals etc. Tomorrow I'm home most of the day so I'll look into that.

My dad has a digital Canon camera, unsure on the model or anything, though.
Camo Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #156
AlTheKillerr

heres my new camera

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #157
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Yeah, I have a couple of those. I mostly just use them for canoe trips and stuff now where I'm afraid to take my good camera.

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #158
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
well my D40 is sold and i shall be getting a D80 in a few days

What kind of lens/lenses do you have or are you getting for it?

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #159
AlTheKillerr

well it depends on who i get the D80 from. if i get just the body then im stuck with my 55-200mm lens (for a little while) but if i can get one with a lens im just going with the 18-55mm lens. tomorrow im going to stop in on the local camera shop and see what they quote me compared to what my brother in law can get me. as well as best buy. maybe ill order it from B&H. i dont know tomorrow ill have a better answer.

what the hell would you use that Hasselblad for?????
Unread 04-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #160
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
well it depends on who i get the D80 from. if i get just the body then im stuck with my 55-200mm lens (for a little while) but if i can get one with a lens im just going with the 18-55mm lens. tomorrow im going to stop in on the local camera shop and see what they quote me compared to what my brother in law can get me. as well as best buy. maybe ill order it from B&H. i dont know tomorrow ill have a better answer.

what the hell would you use that Hasselblad for?????
I considered getting that 55-200mm VR this week. It's about the same price that I paid for the 70-210mm from B&H. I've heard it's a pretty good lens for the price. I also have the 18-55mm right now for my D80. I don't know much, but it seems to do very well considering it didn't cost a grand.

Hey, I know ebay is generally frowned upon for buying cameras, but I bought mine from Cameta Camera. They have a store front on ebay and they're not one of the rip-off too-good-to-be-true sellers. They usually have some decent deals. You should check them out too.

I really don't know what you'd do with a Hasselbad. I know what I'd do - sell that ****er. I could buy some sweet stuff with that. Really though, what makes it so special? Is it really 31,000 dollars better than a D2H?

Last edited by jeepsarecool; 04-10-2008 at 05:06 PM..
Unread 04-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #161
AlTheKillerr

my 55-200 isnt the VR but i seem to do fine without the VR so thats ok. i was going to go take some pictures of the ducks in the park tomorrow but now the weather people are saying its suppose to snow

Ill make sure to check that place out and see what they offer. thanks for the tip

well that Hasselblad is 39MP so im guessing its the CCD that it has that makes it so expensive. with that much resolution you wouldnt need a zoom/telephoto lens to get nice closeups just take your shot then crop in photoshop! but theres no way id pay that much unless i could come up with a reason why my business NEEDS to have it then just write it off
Unread 04-10-2008, 04:59 AM   #162
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The first digital camera I used in 1998 cost my newspaper $15,000. I still have it.....makes a nice paper weight.
Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #163
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwampler View Post
The first digital camera I used in 1998 cost my newspaper $15,000. I still have it.....makes a nice paper weight.
15gs

well atleast it wasnt you that paid for it
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #164
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
15gs

well atleast it wasnt you that paid for it
Ya...at the time we were spending $3,000 per month on film and chemistry, so 3 $15,000 cameras paid for themselves in about a year.
Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #165
AlTheKillerr

i just want to make sure before i get the D80 and im sure it will but will my Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX lens work with it?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.