The Photography Questions Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > The Photography Questions Thread

99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights

Unread 02-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
AlTheKillerr

The Photography Questions Thread

I decided to start a thread where i and whoever else can ask photography related questions so that there are 20 of them everyother day.

my question:

im looking for some lens cleaner. i have a microfiber clothe that is specificly for lenses but no cleaner. what kind of cleaner should i get? can a lens be cleaned to much? i dont want to rub off any kind of clear protectent on the lens. also can the cleaner be used on my UV filter? its the cheap ~20 dollar one from best buy...

AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Rezneck
1984 CJ7 

I'm not a pro photo guy, or even much of an amateur, but I am experienced in rifle optics. So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crom View Post
what kind of cleaner should i get? can a lens be cleaned to much? i dont want to rub off any kind of clear protectent on the lens. also can the cleaner be used on my UV filter? its the cheap ~20 dollar one from best buy...
I think whatever cleaning solution they sell in camera shops is OK. I don't think any specific brand matters. I have a sneaking suspition that it's just distilled water anyway, but I might be wrong.

I won't say that you can clean a lens too much but I think there is some risk for damage involved whenever the glass is touched with anything, even cleaning stuff. Trap a little piece of unseen grit between the cloth and glass, and you've got scratches. Even if you don't see them, thay can accumilate. I'm pretty picky about not letting my glass get dirty to begin with. Do you have one of those brushes with the blower thingy? If not, get one.

I clean my filter with no problems.

48 CJ-2A, Bone stock except it has Allstate locking hubs.
86 CJ-7, 4.0 HO, AX-15, D-30, AMC-20
84 CJ-7, YJ tub and fenders, 258 ci, T-176, D-30, D-44 Trutracs F/R, 4.27s, 33s
77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
Rezneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Rezneck
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post

Don't run the lens under water though . I use toilet paper (the real smooth kind without any sort of lotions)

Toilet paper? I thought paper was abrasive.

What's your thoughts on using cotton swabs? Just so they're 100% cotton?

77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
actionplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The common name of the stuff you want is methanol. Don't let it evaporate on the lens or you'll have streaks. Put a couple drops on an optical grade tissue and simply wipe your lens clean. The methanol will evaporate out of the tissue.

Being it's volatile you can't fly with it.
actionplant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crom View Post
im looking for some lens cleaner... on my UV filter? its the cheap ~20 dollar one from best buy...

1. Blow away dust before touching with lens tissue, using something like this:

http://www.copperhillimages.com/shop...&=SID#MOREINFO

2. Anything along this line:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Cleaner_.html

Generally your local camera shop will have a selection. DO NOT place droplets of fluid on lens - moisten lens tissue, then clean filter/lens. Dropping fluid directly on lens can result in fluid getting behind seals onto the internals of the lens. Not good.

3. Buy a better UV filter .

Concur only cleaning lens when it's needed; many will advise not to use UV or Skylight filters. Whether filters will degrade image has been an on-going debate for quite awhile. I prefer keeping filters over lenses for dust protection, and generally buy Hoya's. Your mileage may vary.

HTH

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels. - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
actionplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrVette View Post
Concur only cleaning lens when it's needed; many will advise not to use UV or Skylight filters. Whether filters will degrade image has been an on-going debate for quite awhile. I prefer keeping filters over lenses for dust protection, and generally buy Hoya's. Your mileage may vary.
Quoted for truth, I throw UV filters on my lenses whether they need it or not. If you saw some of the conditions under which I shoot you'd understand...if I drop a lens on a rock in the middle of nowhere or bounce it off a concrete shop floor...I'd much rather scratch or crack the face of a $20 filter than $900 Zeiss optics. *gulp*
Unread 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Follow up:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/racedog...7603799451300/

User discussion on filters, not on cleaner fluid, but it seemed to flow with the thread.

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels. - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't ever put liquid on my lenses to clean them. First compressed air, then my breath to fog them and a clean lens cloth. I tend to wear a lens out before the glass gets fouled too bad.
Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2008, 01:47 AM   #9
AlTheKillerr

awesome thanks for the info. ill be in the mountains for a few hours tomorrow so hopefully i can get some good pictures
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
actionplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome, hope to see some of them!
Unread 02-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
Toilet paper? I thought paper was abrasive.

What's your thoughts on using cotton swabs? Just so they're 100% cotton?
no to cotton swabs
they will leave lots of dust.

I just have an anti static cloth and I use distilled water
It makes it good as new

I would be a little scared with TP also. paper products have a bad habit of scratching lenses and they would also leave some dust

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
carracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great idea about a photo thread. I think it should be taken one step further and added as a category like and perhaps within the Four Wheeling and Outdoor Rec. Whadda ya think??
carracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
Rezneck
1984 CJ7 

I have a question concerning photo editing software.

First off, I'd rather shoot in RAW. I can shoot in RAW with my Konica/Minolta and use the software it came with to convert to JPG.
With my Nikon, I cannot convert to JPG with the software it came with, of any I have. (Last night I learned that I could convert to JPG but it involves attaching the file to an email.)

What software do you recommend? I like to shoot mostly wildlife and outdoors. I don't do a lot of editing, nothing artsy. Basically, all I want to do is convert the file format, do some croping, and adjust tints, color, balance and etc.

Unread 02-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
I have a question concerning photo editing software.

First off, I'd rather shoot in RAW. I can shoot in RAW with my Konica/Minolta and use the software it came with to convert to JPG.
With my Nikon, I cannot convert to JPG with the software it came with, of any I have. (Last night I learned that I could convert to JPG but it involves attaching the file to an email.)

What software do you recommend? I like to shoot mostly wildlife and outdoors. I don't do a lot of editing, nothing artsy. Basically, all I want to do is convert the file format, do some croping, and adjust tints, color, balance and etc.

I use photoshop. It handles all that stuff.
Its expensive though

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #15
actionplant
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Photoshop would be overkill and doesn't have quite the same ease of use in this case as something like Lightroom.

Quote:
Basically, all I want to do is convert the file format, do some croping, and adjust tints, color, balance and etc.
Lightroom is my recommendation, if you're a Mac user there is also Aperture.

Here's a great article on RAW:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...aw-files.shtml

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.