Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The Photography Questions Thread

63K views 596 replies 62 participants last post by  patrouton 
#1 ·
I decided to start a thread where i and whoever else can ask photography related questions so that there are 20 of them everyother day.

my question:

im looking for some lens cleaner. i have a microfiber clothe that is specificly for lenses but no cleaner. what kind of cleaner should i get? can a lens be cleaned to much? i dont want to rub off any kind of clear protectent on the lens. also can the cleaner be used on my UV filter? its the cheap ~20 dollar one from best buy...

#36 ·
She needs a high shutter speed to avoid subject motion. The film speed can be low if it's a bright, sunny day, but needs to be high in low light. I might start a baseball game at 200 ASA and end up shooting at 1600 ASA as the sun sets.
The aperture controls depth of field. An f-stop of 1.8 will have about 1/8 of an inch in focus, whereas an f-stop of 32 will have everything from 2 feet away to the horizon in focus.
Photography is adjusting the time(shutter speed) and amount (f-stop) of light hits your film or CCD.
Hope that helps.

#38 ·
:laugh: sadly all of this would be waaaaaaaaaay over her head. she sets the camera on the sports setting and thats about it. any more tech to it and shell be lost. she is planning on going digital here in a couple weeks because her daughter is getting married so ive been trying to teach her how to use my camera. she was at some camera store and the people there were trying to sell her a $3000 dollar setup :rolleyes: i told her she should look into a d40/d40x and invest in a sweet lens/lenses. but tomorrow i might be over at hers for dinner so ill see if i can sit and talk to her and try to explain everything. im going to try and get her to actually try shooting with my camera. last time i was talking to her she didnt want to touch it :laugh:

today while working at a new office they have a bunch of photos from a photographer (Andy Cooper i think it was) and they were beautiful. im going to try and find the link to his website so you guys can check out the pictures.

also i had another idea. i was thinking that we could also use this thread as a critique as well. i love the other post a photo thread but for the most part people just say oh thats cool. and i know id like people to critique my work so that i know what i should try doing next time.

EDIT: found it.
name: Andy Cook
http://www.rockymountainreflections.com/

This post has been deleted
#39 ·
You ever been here: http://www.dgrin.com/

Lots of great photography help over there. I use to be there more than here, now I'm here more than there.

#40 · (Edited)
awesome thanks for the link :2thumbsup:

i was using a photo site for a while but it was way to slow. not enough people were on.

Edit: does anyone know of any kind of scams from flickr? i just got a friend request from some guy and i was looking through his pictures and it looks like he just took pictures from his computer or tv screen.

heres a link to one of the pictures

#41 ·
Today was a nice day so I went out to a black-footed ferret area. I didn't see any ferrets but I took some pics of some prairie dogs and one of those larks that hang around. All of those pics where the ground fills the frame seem to be lighter in the center of than around the edges. What causes that?

This is one of the pics I took of the lark. It's unedited except that I converted it to JPEG and resized. The lightness in the center is more noticable in the RAW.

ISO-200
Nikon 55-200
Focal Length- 200
1/1000sec F/5.6

The only thing I set was the ISO. The rest was on auto.

#42 ·
i have the same lens and was wondering that as well. you can really see it in this picture:

in the RAW unedited picture you cant really tell but once i started to mess with the levels it really came out as you can tell.

#43 ·
^^^^^^^^^^
I just thought, I was shooting through a UV filter. Might it be?

#45 ·
I don't have a photography question. I have a photography statement:

I FINALLY ORDERED MY FRIGGIN' CAMERA!

I've been saving my pennies and selling every useless piece of junk I own for the last few weeks to be able to buy a new digital camera. So, by the end of this week I should have my very own Nikon D80 and 18-55mm lense. I can't wait. Now I need to start saving for more lenses........... I do have an extra kidney.............

#50 ·
The vignetting is a problem with that Nikon lens. Here is a pretty comprehensive review that mentions the problem.
http://www.bythom.com/55200lens.htm
For $250 you get what you pay for. Just like anything else, to get pro results, you have to drop some serious coin on pro gear. My cheapest lens cost nearly $1K.
Or buy some used manual focus gear from the 1980's, learn how to focus and set an aperture and enjoy pro quality results at a discount.
Here is a shot I just took of my dog Scout. I used a Nikon D2hs digital camera with a 105 f/2.5 Nikkor lens circa. 1984. 1/500 shutter at f/5.6, 400 ISO. That particular lens is considered one of the sharpest, brightest lenses ever made.

This is shot on fine .jpg mode and worked with basic levels and scaled down a bit with iphoto.
There are a lot of good quality used Nikkor lenses on ebay and in camera stores and pawn shops everywhere.

#51 ·
Here is what to look for in used Nikkor glass. They need to be AI or converted to AI. That means aperture indexed. If it's not AI, it will not fit correctly. The faster the lens, the more versatile it is, so look for lower f-stops-(1.8/2.0/2.8). I would start with a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Then add a 105 f/2.5 and a 180 f/2.8 for telephoto. When you want wider look for a 35 f/2.0 or a 24 f/2.8. Fixed focal length lenses are much sharper than zooms. Changing position for the right framing makes you look at your subject differently and can lead to better composition. In my opinion, zoom lenses make lazy photographers if you let them. Nothing can substitute getting your feet in different positions. What I call the foot zoom.

#72 ·
Here is what to look for in used Nikkor glass. They need to be AI or converted to AI. That means aperture indexed. If it's not AI, it will not fit correctly. The faster the lens, the more versatile it is, so look for lower f-stops-(1.8/2.0/2.8). I would start with a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Then add a 105 f/2.5 and a 180 f/2.8 for telephoto. When you want wider look for a 35 f/2.0 or a 24 f/2.8.
What's your thoughts on a manual focus Nikon Nikkor 200mm 2.0 AiS.
Does the "AiS" mean anything or is the lower case "i" a typo?

Another thing. Is ED glass important for digital.

#57 ·
So I was wheelin' this weekend and a question came to mind. I let one of my buddies take some shots of my Jeep with my camera. I know it isn't a problem this time, but who do the photographs technically belong to since he took the pictures?

I also have the same lens that you have, and it does the same thing with the lighting! You can see it really good in this picture. I thought I was doing something wrong. Which I am still not ruling out.

#59 ·
So I was wheelin' this weekend and a question came to mind. I let one of my buddies take some shots of my Jeep with my camera. I know it isn't a problem this time, but who do the photographs technically belong to since he took the pictures?
He does, why do you ask? Are you selling them? If not, it doesn't really matter.

This post has been deleted
#71 ·
Well...that's pretty obvious, the way you cut the ump out of the photo...you should've used a tripod.

:rofl::rofl:

(I plead guilty to using a monopod with a 70-300 zoom; it really does minimize camera movement for me. But I don't shoot sports (other than the grandkids soccer games :laugh:) so it doesn't get in my way. And I never mind giving folks a good chuckle...:teehee:).

#73 ·
Here is a shot from yesterday, and is indicative of the everyday news work I do sans monopod.:laugh: This guy from the Marshal Islands had just avoided the death penalty by pleading guilty to raping and murdering a 10 year old girl. He had been avoiding my lens for about 20 minutes, so when he had to turn my way, I had to be ready as my window of opportunity was about four seconds. The light in the courtroom is bad but predictible. I can set my exposure at the office before I ever go to court. ISO 1000, 1/100 shutter at f/2.8 with a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 set at 200mm, color balance on fluorescent.

I left the deputy on the left to show that he was going right into the waiting arms of the law.
Not the sharpest photo I ever took, but it ran page one.

#75 ·
One listed on E-Bay.

#77 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.