Photography - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > Photography

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Rasta_Coty

Photography

recently i have found one of my passions is photography. i can do some things with photoshop just playing around, but i want to get a camera thats really nice so i can get some professional looking pictures. i plan on take classes when i get into college, but i want to get something and play around with it and learn stuff about it. Anyone have any good camera's under $1,000 that take professional looking photos?

[SIZE="1"]1996 Jeep Cherokee || 4.5 in. RC || 4.0 liter I-6 high output || 33 x 12.50 BFG All Terrain T/A KO, 16x8 American Racing rims || Rusty's Air Tube w/ K&N 9in. Cone Filter || Throttle Body Spacer || Bored TB || Flowmaster Regular 40 || 99+ Intake Manifold Swap || Auto Meter (Trans Temp. | Water Temp. | Volt) Gauges || Pioneer 5800 HU || Hifonics 1606 Amp || (2) Kicker Comp Cvr 15's || 1/0ga. wiring || Vented box || Yellow Top || Tranny Cooler || Bushwackers || [/SIZE]

[B][SIZE="3"][url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2218603[/url] Updated 2/4/07[/SIZE][/B]
Rasta_Coty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You don't need a great camera to take professional looking photos. Me being a Canon guy, will suggest a Canon Digital Rebel. It is a great digital single lens reflex(DSLR) for beginners. It is what I learned on when I started getting into digital photography(I do still use my dad's old Canon AE-1 and shoot film though ). I now shoot with a Canon 30D. Chances are though...its not something you'd be able to afford. At 1500 dollars for a basic package(body, battery, and 18-55 lens) its a little pricy for your average joe photographer. I do think a Canon Digital Rebel would suit your needs well Remember though...you don't need an amazing and expensive camera to take great photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
JeepnTXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I use an Olympus SP500UZ 6 MP and it takes some fairly good pictures. Here's a few... (EDIT: The camera, with a case and a large memory card [can't remember the top of my head] cost me between 500 and 600)

The bridge in the background is ~3 miles away, and you can just about count the beams.
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/at...id=72526&stc=1

These pelicans were flying by pretty quick, so I adjusted my shutter speed, and it turned out pretty good.
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/at...id=72525&stc=1

And another
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/at...id=72523&stc=1

Last edited by JeepnTXJ; 08-17-2006 at 06:11 PM..
JeepnTXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
wwiihistory

"..is ah..your wife into photography?..nudge nudge, wink, wink....know what I mean..eh...know what I mean? you know...caaaannndiiid? snap-snap..wink wink...eh,eh"

95 Sahara, 4.0L, 5 spd, Olive/Tan, HT,HD's, 31's,3.07s

Military Jeep club member 1941,1942,1943,1944, and 1945
wwiihistory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiihistory
"..is ah..your wife into photography?..nudge nudge, wink, wink....know what I mean..eh...know what I mean? you know...caaaannndiiid? snap-snap..wink wink...eh,eh"
say no more, say no more nudge nudge!

haha, good ole MP

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Watch out or PJL will cite you for failing to credit Monty Python.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 02:45 AM   #7
JungleLarry

Nikon D70 or Canon 350D. If you get the 350D, please get it in black. Silver is lame.
Unread 08-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #8
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

It's either Nikon or Canon... You'll have people suggest either of them for you...

And if you're not going professional, I wouldn't waste the extra $$ for the D70.

I picked up a D50 deal at my local Costco for $800. It came with the body, a standard lens (I believe it's like 17-70 or something...) and a 70-300 zoom lens, a carrying case, a memory card and some other random junk.

I bumped right up to a 2 gig card so I can shoot in RAW mode and get a bunch of shots without having to constantly switch cards (I also have a 1 gig, a 512 and a 256 that I carry with me) and I picked up a spare battery, in some cases it wouldn't hurt to have 2.

Even with grabbing the 2 gig card and 2 batteries, you'll still be under $1,000 and you'll have a decent setup that'll take nice pics.

I'll also give the Canon Rebel a ++, a good friend of mine has one and it shoots nice pics too.

All comes down to what brand you prefer.
Unread 08-18-2006, 07:39 AM   #9
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Here's a good site that gives great reviews on cameras: www.dpreview.com
Unread 08-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
JungleLarry

I'll tell you right now not to buy a Nikon D50. It's a comlete pile of garbage. The D70 isn't a professional camera as much as it is a high-grade amateur camera (a smaller, more inexpensive, and slightly more powerful version of the old D100). If you're not going to buy the D70, get the Canon 350D (Rebel XT). I'm a Nikon guy, but there's no way in hell I'll watch another person buy a D50.
Unread 08-18-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
MZH29
2007 WK 

I think Nikon makes great stuff. That's what my Aunt uses and she has won a bunch of awards for her pictures for National Geographic.
Unread 08-18-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

when you get into slr's or dslr's you shouldn't buy into a body. you should instead buy into a lens system. i know it sounds dumb, but trust me. once you accumulate a good collection of photography equipment, you're gonna spend way more on lenses than anything else. so buy into the lens brand that you think is best.

that way, if you start out with a pro-sumer body and pay around $600 ish and that lasts you for a few years. then you want a body with more features. so what's gonna be a BIG factor? yup -- what body will all of my high $$ lenses work with? and they don't make any "universal" lenses that fit different brands. so don't even try that

so i won't say go with canon or nikon or whatever, but instead, look at the lens lineup for each brand and see what you feel will best suit your needs and level of monitary commitment.

that being said, i went with canon.
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.