Night Photography - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Film, Music and Art > Night Photography

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 03-05-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
Muddy Cherokee
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Night Photography

Anyone here do night photography, star trails or astrophotography?

Muddy Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 02:11 AM   #2
AlTheKillerr

ive been wanting to but i have to get a new camera that will work for that kind of photography. im going to see if i can borrow a friends so that i can.
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 02:12 AM   #3
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 02:22 AM   #4
Muddy Cherokee
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Grewe: Did you take that? Looks pretty sweet.

I'm just using my FE2 on a big and heavy but sturdy as hell tripod. It works great, has no battery draw on bulb, very little on aperture priority, and the mirror locks up with the timer for vibration free photos. If you want to do night photography with film just get any manual SLR, a wide angle lens, tripod and remote release you can lock open. A lot of new SLRs and DSLRs don't have a mirror lock up function, or if they do its hidden in some menu and a PITA to get. They also draw on the batteries to keep the shutter open which is bad for really long (several hour) exposures.
Unread 03-05-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Ha... I wish. That's some NASA website. My homepage, actually. Picture changes every day.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 02:24 AM   #6
Buntaluffigus

Several hours?

Dang. That's a long photo.

I've always wanted to do more night photography, but I've never been able to afford the goods.
Buntaluffigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
Muddy Cherokee
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If you shoot under a full moon the exposures are more like 4 to 10 minutes.
Unread 03-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #8
fundabug

I tried some night photography the other night, but I'm still waiting on my new tripod, which seems to be a must for night shots. I proped my camera up on my grill and tried to get some full moon shots, but they turned out like crap. The exposure was good, but I had the wrong lens on so all I had was a big white dot. Not to mention the clouds were really moving across the sky, so I had some big white blurs on them as well.

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundabug
I tried some night photography the other night, but I'm still waiting on my new tripod, which seems to be a must for night shots. I proped my camera up on my grill and tried to get some full moon shots, but they turned out like crap. The exposure was good, but I had the wrong lens on so all I had was a big white dot. Not to mention the clouds were really moving across the sky, so I had some big white blurs on them as well.

That's what happened with my point and shoot.

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
jtpaintball70

I'm going to play around with my N55 for night photography... I don't know how well my D70 would do since the longest I can keep the shutter open at a time is 30 seconds.

NREMT-I/85
89 K1500
jtpaintball70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #11
kencaz

You can easily make a star traker with basic materials. You can make a manual or motorized...

You will need a decent finder scope, however, and a good view of Polaris to align it.

http://www.jlc.net/~force5/Astro/ATM.../barndoor.html

You may even want to purchase an Equatorial mount with a clock drive if you get more into it.

High speed black and white works best, and keep it in the freezer.

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #12
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i havent taken any good ones of the night moon/sky, but there are a few good ones of the night lights, and city scape.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
RickyN29

I think light pollution will be your biggest issue. It is hard to do long (hours) exposures of night sky without picking up ambient light from cities.

I use both a Canon 350d (mirror lockup, remote control release) and a Ricoh XR-M 35mm SLR.
*Pacer Wheels/High-Tec Retreads 31" MT
*KargoMaster Safari Rack
*CSF Open Cooling System Conversion
*Hayden Tranny Cooler
*Flowmaster 40 Delta & High-Flo Cat
*PORC SYE / FRT DS Combo
*The Doors are off again for summer!
RickyN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
GoGo
2012 JK Wrangler 

QUOTE by jtpaintball70:"I'm going to play around with my N55 for night photography... I don't know how well my D70 would do since the longest I can keep the shutter open at a time is 30 seconds."

I have a D70, and the exposure time is infinite (battery life dependent). The 30 second exposure time is limited to the automatic feature. Exposures of more than thirty seconds require the remote. I've done a few exposures of about five minutes +. The down side is the longer the shutter is open, on the D70, the longer the processing time (and battery drain is pretty hefty). The processing time is almost as long as the exposure setting (meaning - on the shots I've taken with a five minute exposure, the processing takes about five minutes as well. So ten minutes total). While it seems like a long time to see the finished result, it is still a lot quicker, than film.

It is also easier/cheaper to make a correction (another shot) with the digital than with film, because you can see your results so much quicker without processing the film.

Poseur Jeep Club Member # 1

I'd feel safer hunting with Cheney than, going for a drive with Ted Kennedy.
GoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #15
jtpaintball70

Hmm... I've never tried my remote lke that. Any special settings I need to use to hold the shutter open with the remote? I'll try it tonight maybe.

NREMT-I/85
89 K1500
jtpaintball70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.