Who is/was military? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Who is/was military?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #46
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotChiliDog View Post
I'm depped into the us navy and my rating is Aircrew. I leave 24AUG11
Dont fail out, you will have a CRAPPY job. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #47
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
Dont fail out, you will have a CRAPPY job. Good luck!
Thanks and I'm shooting for top of my class so I can get the first pick at the orders
RedHotChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #48
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotChiliDog View Post
Thanks and I'm shooting for top of my class so I can get the first pick at the orders

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #49
cam100
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This thread is from 2006, I am sure he made his choice by now.
youd be surpirsed it took me 3 yrs to leave one to finsh school and two of training with a few XE and triple canopy guys before i felt i was where i needed to be.
cam100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #50
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam100 View Post
youd be surpirsed it took me 3 yrs to leave one to finsh school and two of training with a few XE and triple canopy guys before i felt i was where i needed to be.
Uh huh....

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #51
cam100
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Uh huh....
im sorry, do i know you?
cam100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #52
bartho

served two years for my country , will do it again and again . Go for it !!
bartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #53
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam100 View Post
im sorry, do i know you?
Nope.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #54
RUBICON_TERRY

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Any branch of the service you choose is great, you just need to decide what you are interested in and which branch gives you the best opportunity with which job you would like to do
RUBICON_TERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #55
roofisttu

To be an officer, 99% of the time, you have to have a degree. Now, i say that cause there is a loophole. If you have 96 hours of college, you "can" be commissioned, however you will not get past o2 till you complete your degree.

Now, saying that, Unless your in ROTC with a contract starting your junior year, even with a degree, you'll prob not become an officer (not counting westpoint, or other academy's). I know plenty of college grads, bach, and master's level, who do not come in as officer's, but as e4's. Reason, the army is getting ready to have a huge downgrade in the amount of people in the service. Enlisted points are changing, and peps are getting dc'd easier (some with loopholes as to not to have to pay for disabilities..aka, your non deployable, however your deemed able to work, you can get chaptered w/out disability that way).

Onto SF. Go 18x series, or...the equiv to 11b, but with the "guarantee" you'll at least go to selection. Selection is where all the 18 series come out of. Here's the catch that your recruiter won't tell you. MOST people coming into selection from joining and boot as 18x, will NOT get selected for Q course. Yea, it's crappy, but it's the way it works in reality. Reason why? You'll go to selection..do great, but at the end, you'll be told, "you don't know enough, not proficient enough, you need more time in service, your not leader material yet..ect. It's the catch 22. I've seen this with 90% of 18x's ++, and most will get put into 11b slots.

NOW, if you can go to RIP (ranger school), you'll stand a higher chance of going to a ranger bat, or other specialty company like a LRS unit (like I am, and no, i'm not 11b or 18x, i'm the lovely medic ), go airborne, assault, pathfinder...ect. With that, and some time, then go to Selection, higher dchance if you pass it, to get selected for Q course, and become 18D...or whatever you want to be. A big reason why SF is so picky about new comers, hard to promote someone who has been in nothing but a training environment to a true 18 series class,... which are ALL NCO, when you have had VERY little leadership, and to be honest, you'd prob fail a board so fast, your head would spin around.

Just my 2 cents though. Right now, i'm just counting my days till i get to come back to bragg from this hell hole called afghan.
roofisttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #56
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My standard military disclaimer:
Quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier: All members of the US armed forces are combatants first and foremost. Whatever job you get or do, you very likely will find yourself somewhere that somebody might shoot at you. Even in the Hair Force. The below was written mostly from an Army perspective, but it applies to all the branches equally.
Quote:
My standard reply on joining the military, originally written to a father who's son was considering joining up: Don't use the money, benefits or training as reasons to enter the military, take a particular MOS or anything else. No service member of any rank gets paid enough to put up with what they put up with, especially these days, and we have more than enough "soldiers" who only joined up for the college money or whatever. There's a reason it's called "the service"... his wants and desires will NOT come first, or even third. Officers have certain prerogatives it's true, but the responsibilities of rank far outweigh them. Tell your son that IF he joins any branch of the military, he will someday be in a land far a way. He will be cold, wet and tired. There will be somebody shooting at him. He will not have eaten a hot meal in weeks, and anything at all in a day or two. He will be sitting in a hole in the ground, with frozen mud all over himself, trying to keep his hands warm enough to operate his weapon. If he's an officer he will be more hungry than his men, because he will have allowed them to eat first and then missed chow because of a planning meeting. He will be more tired than his men because he woke up early to go to a planning meeting, after staying up late because of a leaders' recon. Even Navy and Air Force types have their bad days. He won't like most of the people he works for and with. He very likely will watch some of those people die, or it could be him. Not all leaders in the military are competent, not all service members are honorable warriors. Some are outright thieves and cowards. Tell him that the military isn't like the movies, it isn't John Wayne, it's a deadly serious business. The fun stuff, the pay the benefits, the college money are all there. He will make good friends and see and do things few people have. He can consider himself better than 99% of the population who sit at home under his protection. BUT above all he MUST realize that the military is the death trade, pure and simple. We kill people and break things... anything else is a distant second. IF your son realizes all this and is willing to put it on the line, then we could use him. If not... It applies equally to all branches, even the Coasties. When I left Ft Carson they were rotating Naval and Air Force personnel thru convoy defense training. Get your degree if you're that close to graduating, it will help whether you go enlisted or officer. Talk to an officer recruiter as well as an enlisted recruiter.
Quote:
I have been a Soldier my entire adult life. I have studied military history, military science and the operational art. The US Army was my life and I don't disparage it or it's members in any way. I also recognize that there is no point is sugar coating anything for anyone thinking of joining it's ranks. IF someone joins the Army they will at some point be "led" by a "superior" less intelligent than they, who has no personal honor or courage and who believes that the stripes or bars on their collar make them a more worthy individual than those without. They will have to sit on a washing machine while doing their laundry so that one of their fellow Soldiers doesn't steal their underwear. They will learn what the terms "being thrown under the bus" and "blue falcon" mean firsthand. It WILL happen. They will spend their time performing important tasks such as moving tentage from one room to another and back again, painting rocks, raking gravel, pulling weeds, buffing floors and mowing lawns. It is also highly likely that they will often be hungry and cold, or hot and thirsty, absolutely exhausted and scared out of their minds. They almost certainly will see someone they know killed or injured... or be killed or injured themselves. All of the above is based on personal experience gained in 16 years of Soldiering. The good is there. The college money, the benefits, the camaraderie are all there. There are outstanding leaders at all levels, and far more good ones than bad. Soldiers will give each other their last pair of socks, their sisters' phone numbers and invite each other home for Christmas... but the bad is there too and prospective Soldiers need to be prepared for it. Soldiers help put out fires, build schools and hospitals and provide security for average people who have never known peace in living memory. They rescue people from floods, fly hay into stranded cattle and build roads and bridges... but the reason the US Army exists is to kill people that the US government decides need to be dead and to blow up things the US government decides need to be blown up. THAT is what Soldiers are for.
Don't enlist, and certainly don't try for officer, unless you're ready to put it all on the line for your country and for the man on your right and the man on your left. Even an airman, even an Air Force officer, has to be ready to fight and win, or lead others into combat and MAKE them fight and win, at the drop of a hat. If you really want to serve, the branch should be pretty much immaterial. Most of the services have the same jobs, sometimes with different names. Talk to all the branch recruiters. If you really want to lead, apply to all the OCS/OTS programs... and keep applying. Sometimes you don't get in the first time. If you're thinking: "I want to go AF so that I probably won't deploy somewhere bad and even if I do I'll probably be relatively safe" don't bother. I know for a fact the Army doesn't need you and I'd bet the AF doesn't either.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #57
LouisvilleRubi
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ky Army National Guard Nov. 25 02-Nov 25 2010 94E (electronic radio and Comsec Repair)
LouisvilleRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #58
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

97-01 Army... Was an 33W Electronic Warfare/ Intercept Aviation System Repairer... Wife is going in as a 35N in a month... Gonna spend some time in TX for her training at Goodfellow AFB
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #59
NYTrailrider
1988 MJ Comanche 

02-06 Marines, 3531, Motor T.
NYTrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #60
Dragon5
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofisttu View Post
To be an officer, 99% of the time, you have to have a degree. Now, i say that cause there is a loophole. If you have 96 hours of college, you "can" be commissioned, however you will not get past o2 till you complete your degree.

Now, saying that, Unless your in ROTC with a contract starting your junior year, even with a degree, you'll prob not become an officer (not counting westpoint, or other academy's). I know plenty of college grads, bach, and master's level, who do not come in as officer's, but as e4's. Reason, the army is getting ready to have a huge downgrade in the amount of people in the service. Enlisted points are changing, and peps are getting dc'd easier (some with loopholes as to not to have to pay for disabilities..aka, your non deployable, however your deemed able to work, you can get chaptered w/out disability that way).

Onto SF. Go 18x series, or...the equiv to 11b, but with the "guarantee" you'll at least go to selection. Selection is where all the 18 series come out of. Here's the catch that your recruiter won't tell you. MOST people coming into selection from joining and boot as 18x, will NOT get selected for Q course. Yea, it's crappy, but it's the way it works in reality. Reason why? You'll go to selection..do great, but at the end, you'll be told, "you don't know enough, not proficient enough, you need more time in service, your not leader material yet..ect. It's the catch 22. I've seen this with 90% of 18x's ++, and most will get put into 11b slots.

NOW, if you can go to RIP (ranger school), you'll stand a higher chance of going to a ranger bat, or other specialty company like a LRS unit (like I am, and no, i'm not 11b or 18x, i'm the lovely medic ), go airborne, assault, pathfinder...ect. With that, and some time, then go to Selection, higher dchance if you pass it, to get selected for Q course, and become 18D...or whatever you want to be. A big reason why SF is so picky about new comers, hard to promote someone who has been in nothing but a training environment to a true 18 series class,... which are ALL NCO, when you have had VERY little leadership, and to be honest, you'd prob fail a board so fast, your head would spin around.

Just my 2 cents though. Right now, i'm just counting my days till i get to come back to bragg from this hell hole called afghan.
RIP is not Ranger School. RIP is now called RASP and is an indoctrination program to get into the Ranger Regiment.

Ranger School is just that, a school where you hate life for a couple of months and maybe earn your Ranger Tab.

You can serve in the Ranger Regiment without a Ranger Tab, but you must get your Tab before you become a Sergeant.

You want the Ranger experience? Tell your Recruiter you want 11B option 40. Pass that, go to Regiment, get a slot for Ranger School, get your Tab and then and only then weigh your options for the future. At this point you will have been in about 3 years, have 3-4 deployments under your belt and the experience to move on to the next level.
Dragon5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.