Who is/was military? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Military Jeepers > Who is/was military?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 06-24-2006, 09:10 PM   #31
snakeeyes2315

USCG here- AS3 3rd Class Aviation Survivalman.
1991- 1995 Best years of my life- We made a difference.

Unread 06-25-2006, 03:14 PM   #32
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

good luck on getting a commission in the A/F. We are cutting 16K Company Grade Officers this year. I think accessions will be tough. Slashing 40K enlisted slots too.

As far as SF...if you want the best, go Combat Control or Para Rescue.
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2006, 10:44 PM   #33
ragweed13
2004 TJ Wrangler 

CCT or Para-rescue will usually be attached to a "SF" unit whenever they are out working, but TACP is the only job in the Air Force where you will live, train, and fight with the best the Army and Marine have to offer.
Unread 06-27-2006, 01:26 AM   #34
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed13
CCT or Para-rescue will usually be attached to a "SF" unit whenever they are out working, but TACP is the only job in the Air Force where you will live, train, and fight with the best the Army and Marine have to offer.

CCT and PJ's are Special Forces in their own right (not just attached) -- and have a higher wash out rate than any other school in the DoD. Fact.
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2006, 04:36 AM   #35
jeepaholictj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Active Duty Army for over 10 years now and I wouldn't trade a minute of it for anything. I've been in 3rd ID for the past 4 and the experiences gained from 2 tours in Iraq will be in my mind forever. Some guys come in and do their time and take the training and experience and move on. Their are others, such as myself, that take the plunge and go for making the military a career. It's not for everone, and I tell my soldiers the same thing. Being a career soldier, officer or enlisted, means taking on a certain way of life that many are not able to adapt to. No party foul to anyone who did not want it either, just my opinion though.
For anyone wanting to join and possibly go SF, Ranger, Delta, Seals, SOCOM, or any of the elite sections of the military I would offer this advice. The training is tough and it is a remarkable test of your true self. It is true that many "wash out" or just quit because they don't think they can make it or they are not into being a part of a TEAM. For everything I have tried to do in the military, I was able to succeed only because I know that the Army wouldn't place anything on me that I can't handle by working with fellow soldiers for the same goal. It's not the individual that makes it through but the TEAM and that's the biggest reward. So with that being said, I will stick to my guns and say that I love being a soldier, a noncommissioned officer, and a leader of soldiers. It's rough at times and yes it can take you away from loved ones for long periods at times but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Long reply but just my .02
Dob
jeepaholictj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2006, 09:15 PM   #36
enil01
1993 YJ Wrangler 

AM US Navy I get out of A-school tomorrow!

[CENTER]_|_
--X-X-(_)-X-X--
<->
<3 EP-3Es[/CENTER]
enil01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2006, 11:35 PM   #37
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram
I think all people should spend at least one tour. The experience will mature you quickly. Right now with our he who would be king It's probably not the safest choice you'll make.
I joined the Coast Guard 27 years ago. I had offers from all the services but I wanted to do something, not train for war.
I've fought fires on ships at sea, saved lives, tried but didn't save lives, traveled around the world training other countries search and rescue teams, sailed in the americas battle group (probably as a torpedoe sponge), conducted bordings, stopped smugglers, dealt with migrants from Haiti,Cuba and China. And now I travel from Lisbon to Wyoming North to South conducting compliance inspections and training.
I'VE LOVED MY CAREER!
Yes I'm not a Ranger or a Seal and I really repect those people. But You go out into the north sea on a little white boat in the middle of a winter noreaster taking 42+ degree rolls to save some boat that shouldn't have been there in the first place. That takes serious guts...or brain damage, I'm not sure.

The services will give you training and education you'll get no where else. The pay really sux at first, but if you apply yourself it evens out after a while.

Sissy, I say! You try that (North Atlantic) in a Mine Countermeasures ship! We were so small, that we lost all comms and nav in the troughs! With a PIM of 8 knots and a 10 square foot hole all the way through the hull of the ship for the towed body (mine hunting sonar).
In the '70's, I was part of a crew training Iranians to operate one of the Gearing class destroyers they purchased. We had a rather large mainspace fire. They didn't lift a finger, left the 10 of us to fight that fire all by ourselves.

If you want to join the military, go in as an officer. Period. Don't worry about being part of specwar. Work your way up and either stay in, or get out and start a career or business of your own. Headhunters don't really care whether you were specwar or not. They are looking for junior officers that can climb the corporate ladder with a minimum amount of training.

In any event, for the most part, the military is under paid and over abused. There are better ways to make a living. I have never known anyone (including myself) that did it for the easy money.
Unread 06-28-2006, 08:43 AM   #38
Sandbox
2004 WJ 

US Army 1995-2001
SGT / 31P Tech Control/Signal

As others have said, I wouldn't trade my time in the Army for anything. The pay will suck, some of the assignments will suck, and at times it will just plain suck, but you know what? That six years was some of the best of my life and I would do it again in a heartbeat!
"DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI"
Sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #39
Typeo28
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_junkie
Thanks for all of the replies. It is something I really want to do, just serve my country in general. But, being an SF officer would just be that much more fun. My buddy just got into ranger school, and I was talking to him about OCS, and he said most soldiers look down upon it because of the fact that you become an officer and didnt entirely earn it. I think I will go through with it, but I just need to get out of college, get my degree first.

Someone lied to you brother. My soldiers respected me more because I was OCS. I was a college op. I had my degree, went to basic training, then headed to OCS. That way you have "when I was in basic" stories too. The West Pointers were the ones that I saw that were not as respected. Mainly because they were all rich boys and could not relate to their soldiers or NCO's.

As far as SF, you need to a Captain first. I would suggest Infantry, Armor, or my favorite Field Artillery as your intial branch. Best of luck.

Army 2000-2004
A and SVC Battery 3/18 FA
Unread 06-28-2006, 04:39 PM   #40
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typeo28
Someone lied to you brother. My soldiers respected me more because I was OCS. I was a college op. I had my degree, went to basic training, then headed to OCS. That way you have "when I was in basic" stories too. The West Pointers were the ones that I saw that were not as respected. Mainly because they were all rich boys and could not relate to their soldiers or NCO's.
So true. Being prior enlisted also garners you more respect than someone who comes out of college and goes straight through to OCS. No offence intended, just a simple truth. The best PL that I ever had was a fast tracked, 11B3P (E6) before he went through OCS.
Unread 03-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #41
cam100
2001 TJ Wrangler 

NAVY SEALs bro. will make you the man everybody dreams about. wouldnt have changed a day
cam100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #42
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam100 View Post
NAVY SEALs bro. will make you the man everybody dreams about. wouldnt have changed a day
This thread is from 2006, I am sure he made his choice by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #43
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varkyl View Post
What are you doing flying your belly button?

???? (edit: Ohh I think your thinking Navel.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Volkman View Post
good luck on getting a commission in the A/F. We are cutting 16K Company Grade Officers this year. I think accessions will be tough. Slashing 40K enlisted slots too.

As far as SF...if you want the best, go Combat Control or Para Rescue.
I think all branches are cutting huge amounts of Lt's I know the Marines slashed something like 30%. Read an article in the Marine Times about a Gunny that went and got commissioned. He is at 17 years as a 1st LT and got Cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
So true. Being prior enlisted also garners you more respect than someone who comes out of college and goes straight through to OCS. No offence intended, just a simple truth. The best PL that I ever had was a fast tracked, 11B3P (E6) before he went through OCS.
Very Very true. If you go and become a butter bar remember to listen and learn from your Sgt's.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #44
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drix View Post
????

I think all branches are cutting huge amounts of Lt's I know the Marines slashed something like 30%. Read an article in the Marine Times about a Gunny that went and got commissioned. He is at 17 years as a 1st LT and got Cut.

Very Very true. If you go and become a butter bar remember to listen and learn from your Sgt's.
See above post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #45
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm depped into the us navy and my rating is Aircrew. I leave 24AUG11
RedHotChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.